Thread: How To.....Rebuild and adjust headlamp frames.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS

How To.....Rebuild and adjust headlamp frames.

Well here I have the second part of my thrilling lighting "How to's", how to reassemble and adjust the base setting of the headlamp frame.

Whilst everyone knows full well the issues of headlamp adjusters, I have never seen anyone actually consider if their headlamp was actually rising the correct amount, and whether some owners are trying to adjust the beam setting when in fact, the entire lamp may not be in the specified position?

So here is how to assemble or service the headlamp frame, and set the pod lift correctly.

This is what we are starting with.........

Our first task is to refit the mechanism that moves whilst the headlamp lifts. Taking the shaft and bushes, lightly oil the shaft and bush.....

and refit the bush to the shaft both ends.....

and after inserting the shaft into the fixed end, refit the detachable end onto the shaft.....

and secure with the 2 bolts through the frame from underneath.....

Check the newly installed shaft for free and smooth operation.

Next we install the lift actuator/motor.....

getting all 3 bolts started before tightening all 3.

The wiring for the actuator is secured with 2 clips here..........

and here.

We can now connect the link from the actuator to the frame mechanism like this.

but do not fully tighten yet, just nip the bolt about midway along the sliding joint adjustment.

Next we refit the frame edge protection with a small bead of high tack, low strength contact ahesive............

and allowing to dry for a moment before refitting the edging trim.

We can now fit the headlamp bucket back onto the frame with these shaft pivots.

These were VERY tight on my car and I needed to buff and polish the captive bolt shaft and lightly oil the fibrous bushes to get a smooth operation.

Next, the small damper needs to be fitted and this is done at the same time as the bucket is being fitted to the frame..........

using this M8 FINE THREAD nut on one end......and this circlip on the other.

To check whether the installed length of the sliding joint is correct, the lamp needs to be raised manually with the handwheel to its maximum height........

and the installed length of the damper measured. This needs to be 102mm +/- 1.0mm.

You can now make any adjustments the best you can by trial and error or use the special tool 60 0 030 that is no longer available from BMW but I have made a small number for any interested parties.

To use the special tool, rmove the small hydraulic damper using special tool 60 0 010, or a 15mm spanner ground down very thin.......

To undo the damper and remove it.

and refitting the special tool on the mechanism end..........

and checking to see if the other end will fit. Here you can see how far out mine was.

Now slacken the bolt in the sliding link..............

and open the link to its full extension before slowly shortening it by gripping it...........

until the tool slides into position. The link is now exactly 102mm long. The sliding link bolt can now be fully tightened.......

and the tool removed and the damper refitted in it's place.

You can now refit the complete assembly back in the car knowing that the headlamps will pop-up exactly the correct amount. Next I will post instructions on the correct way to install the pods into the car. Then it will just be the final adjustments with the dreaded adjusters to get those lamps working and adjusted 100%.

8Tech.

My Cars
    more and more Cars..
    Thanks Gerry for another great via pictures documented DIY story!
    to register your 8 @ www.8coupe.com!

Best regards from good old Germany Harry!

My Cars
    E31
    Thanks Gerry. Another HOW-TO authored by you added to my archive. Do you look under your bonnet and assemblies with non-happy-colored nuts/bolts/screws indicate need for reconditioning? I like that system!

Tony

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    No, but with a large stock of high tensile aluminium and stainless steel fasteners to hand, I always try and fit corrosion proof fasteners where I can. When I need a high tensile strength such as the supercharger mounting and drive, I use titanium.

My Cars
    1992 850I & 04' TOUAREG
    Nice write up.

1992 E31 850I aka M3'S FATHER -- Brilliant Red/Black Interior

2 Wallets' List:
    19" DPE LS15 - 19X8 F | 19X10 R | NITTO INVO 245/35/19 F | 285/30/19 R

"All well and cool until one of out Bosch electro gremlins sneaks in whilst you are driving down the mountain road, at night, at a high rate of speed and you lose that charge...."

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed

How To.....Rebuild and adjust headlamp frames.

8Tech, do you still happen to have the photos for this adjustment write-up? I would like to replace to shocks in my headlamp buckets, but am not entirely sure how to adjust the height correctly after refitting.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Last edited by petejk; 12-23-2019 at 11:29 AM.