Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: P0014 needs to stop!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alpharetta
    Posts
    53
    My Cars
    1998 z3

    P0014 needs to stop!

    E46 Wagon (wife’s car) is killing me.

    In Jan I replaced the oil filter housing gasket, the valve cover gasket, spark plugs and did the vanos seals and the exhaust camshaft position sensor (with OEM BMW part) Mostly because her car was using oil and the camshaft sensor threw a code.

    Drove well, with noticeably more torque for better part of 5 6 weeks and suddenly throws p0014. Hmm.

    What I have done today?

    1. Pulled and cleaned both vanos solenoids. Both pistons move freely.

    2. Check for proper voltages at both solenoids and at the camshaft sensor. All in spec.

    3. On first startup got two scanner codes “activation vanos solenoid exhaust and inlet” so I was hopeful my prob was a dirty solenoid. I connected my scan tool but got no movement on the vanos ref position angle or the vanos exhaust actual positions on the screen.

    4. Erased the codes and took off and it drove very well. Hopeful again. Turned it off, started it back up and immediate got P0014 with the scanner Code68 “vanos exhaust camshaft end position not reached.”

    Data stream is as follows:

    Vanos inlet specified position 120.0 cr
    Vanos inlet reference position 123.1 cr
    Vanos exhaust specified position -105.0 cr
    Vanos exhaust reference position -79.4 cr
    Vanos exhaust actual position -105.0 cr

    Nothing changes with the scanner connected while revving the engine. It’s supposed to change values I believe.

    I’ve looked high and low for solution, was hoping cleaning the solenoids would do the trick.

    Need some advice on what went wrong please....

    John




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    west chicago il
    Posts
    243
    My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Did you remove the splined helix part from the cam gear? The part that the vanos pistons push/pull to change the timing? Or anything else that could cause a cam to be out of time? Maybe you should check the cam timing. Does the code set immediately after starting or does it take time?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    5,462
    My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Follow this link to read up on the VANOS: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lawrence Kansas
    Posts
    1,070
    My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    P0014 can be related to two issues. Its often accompanies cooling system errors. Solve the cooling system errors and it will go away.

    If you have no cooling system errors, then the B side (exhaust) vanos solenoid is more than likely at fault.

    Note - this is not the sensor you replaced, its the solenoid that directs oil flow. There is a piston inside the solenoid that can seize up and stop moving. A simple disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly usually fixes it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alpharetta
    Posts
    53
    My Cars
    1998 z3
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Follow this link to read up on the VANOS: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    Thanks. I have been all over the Besian site previously.
    Good idea though.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alpharetta
    Posts
    53
    My Cars
    1998 z3
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    Did you remove the splined helix part from the cam gear? The part that the vanos pistons push/pull to change the timing? Or anything else that could cause a cam to be out of time? Maybe you should check the cam timing. Does the code set immediately after starting or does it take time?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Nope. Didn’t touch anything other than the vanos itself. Seems odd it would be fine for several weeks then throw the code.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alpharetta
    Posts
    53
    My Cars
    1998 z3
    Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    P0014 can be related to two issues. Its often accompanies cooling system errors. Solve the cooling system errors and it will go away.

    If you have no cooling system errors, then the B side (exhaust) vanos solenoid is more than likely at fault.

    Note - this is not the sensor you replaced, its the solenoid that directs oil flow. There is a piston inside the solenoid that can seize up and stop moving. A simple disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly usually fixes it.
    No coolant errors.

    Explain? I replaced the CPS on the exhaust side, pulled both inlet and exhaust solenoids and cleaned so that the pin moved freely. Is there a more thorough cleaning required for these? How are they disassembled? Or, Is there another solenoid that I missed that can be cleaned?

    Thanks,

    John


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    west chicago il
    Posts
    243
    My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Have you tried swapping the solenoids from the intake and exhaust sides to see if the problem moves to the other cam? They are the same. If that doesn't change anything, remove the valve cover and check cam timing. If the cams are properly timed check the vanos unit. Pull it apart again and make sure that it's assembled correctly and that the seals are not damaged. I believe this problem started after you rebuilt the vanos unit so it seems likely that you will find the problem there. Good luck.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alpharetta
    Posts
    53
    My Cars
    1998 z3
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    Have you tried swapping the solenoids from the intake and exhaust sides to see if the problem moves to the other cam? They are the same. If that doesn't change anything, remove the valve cover and check cam timing. If the cams are properly timed check the vanos unit. Pull it apart again and make sure that it's assembled correctly and that the seals are not damaged. I believe this problem started after you rebuilt the vanos unit so it seems likely that you will find the problem there. Good luck.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Have not swapped them but cleaned both externally and immediately got a “solenoid active” code for both inlet and and exhaustion I assumed both function (unless that just means both are connected electrically.

    I will swap them and see (would have been my next stab at it anyway.)

    How do I check the timing? Is that something a vanos novice can easily figure out?

    Thanks,
    John


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    Posts
    2,856
    My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Cleaning them internally is much more relevant, than externally.
    Check for clean electrical connections or bent pins.
    "It's not how you race your car, it's how you stand by your car, you better learn that".
    Edited version

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    Posts
    2,856
    My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Conditions that may cause Code P0014:
    Camshaft variable timing solenoid failure
    Engine oil level is too low
    The engine is not timing correctly
    The engine oil does not meet the manufacturer's requirements
    Variable valve timing actuator failure
    Worn timing chain
    "It's not how you race your car, it's how you stand by your car, you better learn that".
    Edited version

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alpharetta
    Posts
    53
    My Cars
    1998 z3
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    Did you remove the splined helix part from the cam gear? The part that the vanos pistons push/pull to change the timing? Or anything else that could cause a cam to be out of time? Maybe you should check the cam timing. Does the code set immediately after starting or does it take time?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Nope, did not.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alpharetta
    Posts
    53
    My Cars
    1998 z3
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Cleaning them internally is much more relevant, than externally.
    Check for clean electrical connections or bent pins.
    I would like to clean internally but I haven’t found a way to disassemble? Is there?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    west chicago il
    Posts
    243
    My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmactech View Post
    I would like to clean internally but I haven’t found a way to disassemble? Is there?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You can't take it apart. Clean the oil valve with brake cleaner and compressed air. Apply 12v to the solenoid to open the valve. Pulse the solenoid on and off while cleaning and blowing the valve. That will help remove anything that could be stuck inside the valve.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    west chicago il
    Posts
    243
    My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    To check cam timing properly you need to get the timing tools. The tools are a tdc pin that locks the crankshaft in the tdc position and cam blocks. The pin goes into the block near the starter and engages into a hole in the flywheel at the tdc position locking the crankshaft in the proper position. The cam blocks then fit over the square part of the cam at the back of the engine and should sit flush with the cylinder head if the timing is right. I'm sure that if you search here and YouTube you will find the process in more detail. The tools can be bought from eBay and amazon for cheap.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alpharetta
    Posts
    53
    My Cars
    1998 z3
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    To check cam timing properly you need to get the timing tools. The tools are a tdc pin that locks the crankshaft in the tdc position and cam blocks. The pin goes into the block near the starter and engages into a hole in the flywheel at the tdc position locking the crankshaft in the proper position. The cam blocks then fit over the square part of the cam at the back of the engine and should sit flush with the cylinder head if the timing is right. I'm sure that if you search here and YouTube you will find the process in more detail. The tools can be bought from eBay and amazon for cheap.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Thanks - I reviewed timing procedures, probably above my capabilities and tolerance. Hoping it’s not out of time, no reason it should be. If it is a shop will get it.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 07:13 PM
  2. Since guys with FI need to stop...wanna see my BBK?
    By highboostingm3 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 05:55 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:00 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 07:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •