Thread: Dead DWA

My Cars
    '95 840Ci, '06 730d

Dead DWA

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to sort an issue with my UK spec ‘95 840 ever since I bought it this time last year. The alarm doesn’t work - the radio key fob will lock the car, the EWS works fine but there doesn’t seem to be any link between the radio receiver in the mirror and the DWA module. Here’s what I’ve tried:

-All fuses and fusible links tested and working
    -DWA module in the sill inspected and in good order, power present at module and fuse tested and working
    -Mirror upgraded to auto dimming and keys reinitialised
    -LED in centre console changed
    -Siren under windscreen cowling inspected and in good visual condition

No matter what I try, the LED has never lit up, the alarm has never armed, the siren has never gone off and the indicators have never flashed when either activated or armed/disarmed. As stated above, the central locking has always worked fine either with the radio or with the key in the door lock.

I’ve found the following interesting posts

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...New-DWA-Coding

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...tor-can-answer

Given that I can reinitialise keys without a problem (ie no initialisation lock issues) could this just be a coding issue or is it more hardware related? I’m hoping it is hardware as I only have Dis v57 (without the coding capability) and a USB set up. I’m under the impression I’ll either need Dis v44 (been searching for days with no luck) or an older laptop with an RS232 and ADS setup so that I can use Progman.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Have you pulled the carpet up next to the drivers seat and checked that the alarm unit is plugged in ? Look at my thread regarding this same issue, might save you a lot of time :-)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...&highlight=dwa
    Last edited by Omega man 1969; 04-29-2018 at 07:58 AM.

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Have you checked fuse F17 and f18 in the front power box, F31 in the rear power box ( this is the LED fuse) 16a fuse on the DWA box itself.

You should be able to create an alarm state by grounding pin 3 on the DWA from the looks of the wiring diagram in the ETM. If you look at the diagram of the DWA in the ETM it shows inside the unit itself there is a transistor the fires the relay for the horn(sounder) , you can bypass that by linking pin 3 to ground for a moment to see if it runs the horn, if it doesn't then check the wiring to the horn from the DWA and check that power is present on the connector of the DWA.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go, this should make solving the problem a little easier .

- - - Updated - - -

With the key in and ignition on, You should have 12v at pins 3 , 17 and 4 shown across the top of the DWA in that photo.
    The connector identification numbers are on there as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images