RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2006 BMW 330I not starting - video inside

My Cars

2006 BMW 330I not starting - video inside

Hello

My 2006 330i is not starting, no crank and no errors on the dash. The battery was recently changed (months ago) and I check the ground strap is in good condition (no breaks in links although a bit green in colour it was located from passenger side where the coolant tank is and going to the block where the coils are). Battery terminals and cables are clean and free of corrosion.

When I depress the clutch I don't hear a click sound, it seems like prior to this issue I used to hear a clicking sound when pressing the clutch. All lights/accessories work and I've tried two key fobs with the same result.

I bought the car in October and since I've owned it it had always had a bit of slight hesitation when starting, it would crank with a bit of difficulty for about 1 second then start normally. Once or twice during my ownership I would start it and after one crank it would die but then start normally again once restarted.

Do all signs point to it being a starter? Or CPS? I have not tried jump starting the car yet because I am waiting for someone to come.

Video of what happens when I attempt to start the car:

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    There will almost certainly be codes in the computers for your issue. (CAS, DME)

This could be as easy as your clutch pedal switch not telling the computers that your clutch is depressed, or....you might need a starter, or....well, there are a few other items, but personally, I'd start by reading the codes in all computers with a BMW diagnostic computer.

Oh, it's absolutely NOT the CPS.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Do you have a second key? IIRC that key symbol is the anti-theft kicking in. Check the owners manual about it, for this will keep the start from engaging.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    There will almost certainly be codes in the computers for your issue. (CAS, DME)

This could be as easy as your clutch pedal switch not telling the computers that your clutch is depressed, or....you might need a starter, or....well, there are a few other items, but personally, I'd start by reading the codes in all computers with a BMW diagnostic computer.

Oh, it's absolutely NOT the CPS.
    Thanks for your reply. When the clutch is pressed should I hear a click from the switch? I tried starting the car without pressing the clutch to see if I get that symbol with the clutch and foot and I got it (when not pressing the clutch). I am not getting the symbol when trying to start with the clutch pressed in... this leads me to believe that clutch pedal switch is fine.

I don't have an IBS on the negative terminal so that's out of the picture as well.

If jump starting the car won't do it, any ideas on how to start it so I can drive it to my shop?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Do you have a second key? IIRC that key symbol is the anti-theft kicking in. Check the owners manual about it, for this will keep the start from engaging.
    I have tried a second key, same result. All doors/windows/etc work and it opens everything but car doesn't start.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I believe that the key symbol is recognition of a valid key.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    I am waiting for my father, he is coming and we will try to jump start the car. Then I will try hitting the starter see if I can get it to start this way, at least I will save on towing fees.

UPDATE: Tried to jump start the car - no luck. Tomorrow in the morning will try to hit the starter so if I can get it started that way.
    Last edited by ahsm; 04-15-2018 at 05:23 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I believe that the key symbol is recognition of a valid key.
    I have seen that same symbol on a E-92 M3 that wouldn't engage the starter. Had to lock/unlock the car 3 or 4 times with the fob to get the car to start. I cannot access the owners manuals on BMWNA anymore as it is asking for a VIN now.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I've been wrong many times before....but I'm pretty sure there's also a pictogram of a key with a slash mark through it ?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Found the owners manual, the key with the slash means Remote control malfunctioning or, in cars with convenient access, not detected.

It doesn't say anything about the yellow key, so I guess that means the key is inserted.

So OP if the clutch is depressed and the starter doesn't engage, I would get the starter checked out.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Just checked: the yellow key means "Don't leave the key in the ignition!" (Door open, key in ignition, ignition off)

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Since you used to hear a clicking sound when depressing the clutch and you don't anymore, I would get under that clutch pedal and make sure that the CPS is functioning properly. Happened to me once and it turned out that for some reason the CPS was offset and did not engage the mechanism properly; you can easily verify that by taking off the plastic cover under the steering wheel (there are 2 or 3 screws that need to be taken out).

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze1 View Post
    Since you used to hear a clicking sound when depressing the clutch and you don't anymore, I would get under that clutch pedal and make sure that the CPS is functioning properly. Happened to me once and it turned out that for some reason the CPS was offset and did not engage the mechanism properly; you can easily verify that by taking off the plastic cover under the steering wheel (there are 2 or 3 screws that need to be taken out).
    I actually did that yesterday after checking the fuses. Today I tried hitting the starter with a big prison shank and tried to start the car, I heard some new noises from the starter but it didn't start.

I bought a CAA membership and called CAA to get a tow. Due to yesterday's and today's weather (snow, freezing rain, poor driving conditions) I was looking for a 4-6 hour wait because there were a lot of accidents and another company quotes me $275 for a 34km tow so I noped out. My friends came by and help me push start the car (thank God for manual transmission). Took it to my friends shop, replaced the starter, the crankshaft position sensor because we were already there. Replaced the intake manifold seals, throttle body seals and oil filter housing gasket because intake manifold was off already. Upon further inspection my friend noticed a red group strap not attached to anything and dangling from the body and looks like it was connected to oil pressure sensor. Does anyone know if this is the right place to connect it to? We connected it to the oil pressure sensor because it looked like it was there before. Also the braided sensor looked corroded a bit and green, going to replace that. In closure - it was the starter.
    Last edited by ahsm; 04-16-2018 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Glad to hear you got is all sorted out and came back to close the loop on this, thank-you.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member