Thread: Major power steering leak (newbie)

My Cars
    1991 325

Major power steering leak (newbie)

I do not know much about this car so please bear with me.

Just got done with my first job, replacing the to/from reservoir PS hoses. Took forever since I'm pretty inexperienced. I wasn't certain that it would remedy the leak I was having as it could be a million things, but what with the hoses being rubber it needed to be done anyways so why not start out with something easy.

Filled her up with ATF, started up the engine and turned the wheel. My entire reservoir dumped out onto the pavement.

https://imgur.com/a/KcBNk

Here's a picture with fluid dripping from God knows where. I have no clue what to do next. Any ideas as to what could dump the entire reservoir near instantaneously with a turn of the wheel?

Also: I accidentally put both washers for the banjo bolts on the same side, doubting that this has any major effect but it's something to note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e30s
    The bango washers being on one side is 1 problem and most probably is creating the leak. However, if you turned the wheel and you have your hoses hooked up to the res and the rack then you got a blown rack. The seals in the rack aren't holding the fluid in. That would mean you require a rebuilt rack or exchange it for a better used one or upgrade.

Get a garden hose and rinse everything down and let it dry. then inspect. get a little fluid in the reservoir and then get your buddy or yourself to look under while he turns the wheel to see where the leak is coming from.

btw..that pic doesn't indicate anything. it's a drip..who knows from where.

Do as I suggested and you'll most likely find the problem. but before you do the test. Take that bango fitting off and put the washer where it's suppose to go. :-)
    Last edited by Ceekers; 04-15-2018 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    1991 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceekers View Post
    The bango washers being on one side is 1 problem and most probably is creating the leak. However, if you turned the wheel and you have your hoses hooked up to the res and the rack then you got a blown rack. The seals in the rack aren't holding the fluid in. That would mean you require a rebuilt rack or exchange it for a better used one or upgrade.

Get a garden hose and rinse everything down and let it dry. then inspect. get a little fluid in the reservoir and then get your buddy or yourself to look under while he turns the wheel to see where the leak is coming from.

btw..that pic doesn't indicate anything. it's a drip..who knows from where.

Do as I suggested and you'll most likely find the problem. but before you do the test. Take that bango fitting off and put the washer where it's suppose to go. :-)
    Thanks a ton. I was just too exhausted to redo the washers, will definitely get to that the next time I'm under. Not like I'm driving the car anyways. Now that I know what to do it shouldn't take as long as before.

Is replacing the rack easy enough for a DIY? Or would you recommend I visit a shop? I have no idea what a rack is/does but the internet seems to believe that now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a Z3/E46 rack. Think I'll do that.

Also, can you say with certainty that it is the rack? Someone told me once before that if I take off the PS pump belt and still hear groaning while turning the wheel then it is definitely my rack, if not then it could also be the pump. I tried getting off the belt but my bolt was way too stuck, wrench slipped and I cut my hand up pretty bad.

Also sorry about that pic about an hour after taking it I realized it was pretty useless but forgot about it

My Cars
    e30s
    you are jumping ahead..I said to first diagnose the problem. Fix the washer issue. rinse off all the power steering fluid and let the area dry off. fill it partially and engage the rack to first source your leak.
    Once you determine what the problem is go from there. I never said with certainty it's your rack. remember the system is under hydrolic pressure so it could have squeezed by the washer or the seals in the rack.

IF it is your rack then you can consider going to route for another stock rack or you can decide to upgrade. A Z3/e46 rack aren't cheap to fetch and are hard to find. Rack doctor is probably your best bet to get a rebuilt rack with a warranty. The other thing you'll need to do is swap the steering knuckle and tie rods to make the upgraded rack work. I think this is beyond your skill level.
    From your limited experience and such; I would recommend a shop to do that swap for you.
    Last edited by Ceekers; 04-15-2018 at 06:10 PM.

My Cars
    1991 325
    you are jumping ahead..I said to first diagnose the problem. Fix the washer issue. rinse off all the power steering fluid and let the area dry off. fill it partially and engage the rack to first source your leak.
    Once you determine what the problem is go from there. I never said with certainty it's your rack. remember the system is under hydrolic pressure so it could have squeezed by the washer or the seals in the rack.

IF it is your rack then you can consider going to route for another stock rack or you can decide to upgrade. A Z3/e46 rack aren't cheap to fetch and are hard to find. Rack doctor is probably your best bet to get a rebuilt rack with a warranty. The other thing you'll need to do is swap the steering knuckle and tie rods to make the upgraded rack work. I think this is beyond your skill level.
    From your limited experience and such; I would recommend a shop to do that swap for you.
    Sure thing, thanks.

My Cars
    1991 325

Okay, here's an update. I got new washers and put them on right this time. The leak isn't nearly as bad as before, but the drip starts to happen within a few wheel rotations. By the time I'm fully turned it's gushing out like crazy. At least I sorta fixed the problem I created last time, not quite but at least the reservoir retains the ATF to some degree.

The washers were my priority and that used up all my daylight. I will do the hosing down/inspecting soon. Plus I need to find a buddy to look while I turn, my phone camera has not done me justice.

How tight is tight enough for the banjos? I made my reservoir to pump extremely tight because I had plenty of leverage, but the rack to reservoir not so much. It was as tight as I could go and fairly snug but I'm sure it would've gone more with a bigger wrench.

Also, am I not supposed to reuse hose clamps? Didn't see the harm in doing so but then again didn't see the harm in reusing washers either and I was dead wrong about that.

My Cars
    e30s
    Follow the instructions I gave...there is no point in continuing discussion until you get the area clean and a friend to assist.

My Cars
    1991 325
    Follow the instructions I gave...there is no point in continuing discussion until you get the area clean and a friend to assist.
    It's important that I get the hoses right before moving onto the inspection.