Thread: Beautiful day cruising with 2003 Z4 M/T and this happened (---HELP---)

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Beautiful day cruising with 2003 Z4 M/T and this happened

Cruising 60-65 miles per hour so, all of a sudden car acted like no gas, like i'm not pushing on gas and gradually started slowing down (it;s a manual transmission, i drove all my life) and pushing some gas engine acted like maybe dirt or something in the gas, pushing gas pedal created some gas through but you could tell that gas is not there or at least not enough.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Pulled it over, waited 5 minutes looked around the engine and nothing was unusual, started the car again and wow seems like everything was back to normal, 1-2-3-4-5 gear doing 50-60 mph again like nothing happened and two minutes later same thing, like gas is not coming and car stalls if you take it of the gear. Parked the car at one of the car dealership parking lot and took a taxi to come home.

My eyes were on the temperature gauge just in case but everything was normal there.

Is it a fuel pump maybe? But cooling of 5 minutes everything goes back to normal for another few minutes after, doesn't sound like a fuel pump (or does it).
    Waiting Monday morning to talk to my mechanic but trying to find out as much as i can.
    Anyone experienced something like this?
    Last edited by Salacak; 04-15-2018 at 08:27 AM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Okay guys, this morning went back to pick the car up or at least try to see what happens.
    Started the car and drove home (14 miles) without any issues like nothing happened yesterday.
    I read somewhere that fuel pump when gets hot or is not working as suppose to can cause what i went through yesterday.
    If that is the issue how can we make sure and if it’s a fuel pump what should I change, complete fuel pump or some parts of it and lastly where should i get one and cost should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    I would look at the fuel filter first

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    I have been reading about all these throughout forums, fuel filter almost unlimited time frame can be good and if you have to replace it replace the fuel pump with it anyway because where it is and labor. Now i read that might be some bad gas possibilities. Always put a super but here gas has 10% ethanol in it.
    Is there a way mechanic can pin point this problem because like i said i picked the car up this morning and drove home without any problems.

My Cars
    z3
    wow thats a stupid design, why would BMW go to an integrated design. E36's and Z3's had the pump in the tank, and a filter under the car. Took me literally 10 minutes to replace the one on my E36 the other day, from grabbing the jack to dropping the car... 10 minutes... on a Z4 it looks like an all day job... wow what a piss poor design choice, just like the convertible top motor location...

It sounds like a fuel filter issue to me. Almost any other type of problem will throw a code (too much air, too little air, timing is wrong, combustion was too efficient, or combustion was too inefficient, ANYTHING other system in the car CAN potentially throw a code) but there isnt a "fuel filter" CEL or low fuel pressure light. 10% ethanol is fine, I just think its an old filter... just my .02

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Thanks, i got all the possibilities i think and my mechanic will check it out Wednesday. Without a code or repeating problem I don’t know how much more he can tell

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail,
    compare readings when engine accelerates normally,
    to readings when symptoms appear.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    I have been driving the car and that problem never repeated

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I would look at the fuel filter first
    I have been driving this almost daily lately and that problem never happened again not even a tiny sign whatsoever.
    Maybe it was a bad gas or something passed?
    I started hearing chirping sound with rpm goes up (at the beginning going up and goes away, by the way this has nothing to do with gas problem i had) first of i thought it was a belt like lose belt or something but mechanic listened to it and thinking maybe some air coming in with rpm rises

My Cars
    2004 330XI, 2007 M-Rdstr
    Fuel pump? My 330xi fuel pump took a LONG time to die. Intermittent forever, then nothing. 1/2 hour to change it