Thread: New Quad Exhaust Build

My Cars
    540iT, Z3M

New Quad Exhaust Build

So my old quad exhaust finally rusted away and literally fallen apart. It wasn't of the best build quality but lasted maybe 8 years? Here is the link to an old thread with the old exhaust installed.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...pics-of-my-car

Time for a new one - I liked the idea of the old exhaust design that did not require cutting through a spare tire compartment but this time I opted for a full stainless steel exhaust and also decided to use a replica of M5 touring rear bumper instead of keeping a modified standard bumper. I'm providing a link to photos for those interested, hopefully the link will work..! The exhaust was designed and beautifully put together from scratch at BimmerClinic in NJ. It sounds really good too - although I've got no sound clip. Let me know what you think.
    https://photos.app.*******/p8dIESYlD8COFrfN2

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    The last link isn't working.

My Cars
    540iT, Z3M

New Quad Exhaust Build - Updated

Quote Originally Posted by tatraT87 View Post
    So my old quad exhaust finally rusted away and literally fallen apart. It wasn't of the best build quality but lasted maybe 8 years? Here is the link to an old thread with the old exhaust installed.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...pics-of-my-car

Time for a new one - I liked the idea of the old exhaust design that did not require cutting through a spare tire compartment but this time I opted for a full stainless steel exhaust and also decided to use a replica of M5 touring rear bumper instead of keeping a modified standard bumper. I'm providing a link to photos for those interested, hopefully the link will work..! The exhaust was designed and beautifully put together from scratch at BimmerClinic in NJ. It sounds really good too - although I've got no sound clip. Let me know what you think.
    https://photos.app.*******/p8dIESYlD8COFrfN2
    The link to the google photos gets modified every time I try to post it for some strange reason (is it blocked by the forum, any thoughts anyone?) - what worked is replacing ******* in the link above with gooDOTgl, type in "." instead of "DOT".

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I use "directupload" from the app store. From gallery, upload to DU and from DU, copy and paste the forum link. Might work better, free of course.

My Cars
    540iT, Z3M
    The link to the google photos gets modified every time I try to post it for some strange reason (is it blocked by the forum, any thoughts anyone?) - what worked is replacing ******* in the link above with gooDOTgl, type in "." instead of "DOT".
    OK, hopefully this will finally work for everybody to see the images...
    https://imgur.com/a/5tpmA

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/5tpmA"><a href="//imgur.com/5tpmA">Quad Touring Exhaust</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My Cars
    540iT, Z3M
    Folks, not comments at all? Although I realize that not everyone may have liked the idea.

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    I think everyone is watching football and drinking beer right now. I quite like the look, but couldn't justify it with my I6 motor.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    I like it, just saw it today. You use any insulation between the cross pipe as it runs the width of the lower bumper so it doesn't melt?
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    540iT, Z3M
    Hi. Correct, the pipe that goes across is wrapped, not sure exactly what type of wrap was used but so far no issues with the heat transfer. There is also a gap between the exhaust and the bumper cover.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    The questions left on the table are:
    Total CFM flow of a 540 at 3-5,500 RPM
    OE Muffler flow in CFM
    Gains provided with change: XX ROI (sounds CHECK, HP nope)
    Weight reduction (YOU BET!)

I like the single pipe look. The cross over pipe heat exchange might be an issue in long highway runs....
    Drone sounds with set up? Can you live with it?
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2003 540iT, (sold) 2000
    looks good. I might be interested

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2000 528iT

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Folks, not comments at all? Although I realize that not everyone may have liked the idea.
    I like it, just noticed your post now.

For insulation on the cross pipe there are many 2" wide exhaust pipe wraps as well as 3/16" thick dimpled aluminum/fiberglass wraps from DEI that are very effective. I'm using them on my '33 build.

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 330i
    It looks like they did a nice job, how much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking?
    2000 BMW M5 Evolve Alpha-N Tune, Evolve Carbon Fiber CAI's, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Dinan Front STB, Dinan Rear Sway Bar
    2001 BMW 330i ​Dynavin N7 Pro

1985 BMW 745i 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's ("Build" Thread")(SOLD)
    1986 BMW 735i Getrag 265/6 Swap, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's, Euro F/R Conversion, 3.46 L/S Diff (Scrapped)

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Stock
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Eaton M112, 3.4 Billetflow upper, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors, Addco F/R swaybars
    2003 Mercury Marauder JLT CAI, SCT Xcal4, Stainless Works LT's, SW 2.5" Catback
    1996 Ford Bronco
    4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, MH1 projectors

My Cars
    540iT, Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    The questions left on the table are:
    Total CFM flow of a 540 at 3-5,500 RPM
    OE Muffler flow in CFM
    Gains provided with change: XX ROI (sounds CHECK, HP nope)
    Weight reduction (YOU BET!)

I like the single pipe look. The cross over pipe heat exchange might be an issue in long highway runs....
    Drone sounds with set up? Can you live with it?
    Good points. Unfortunately I haven't done the flow/back pressure calculations (before - after) so I don't have a good answer. Actually when I bought the car it already came with a similar type of quad setup, although it wasn't nowhere near the quality of this new one, and the design wasn't good either (there was a point where the flow was restricted), so I am not able to compare to a stock. Plus the engine is supercharged which would have to be factored into a comparison as well. Sorry I can't be more precise... As far as the sound, when I have some extra time I'll try to take a sound clip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I like it, just noticed your post now.

For insulation on the cross pipe there are many 2" wide exhaust pipe wraps as well as 3/16" thick dimpled aluminum/fiberglass wraps from DEI that are very effective. I'm using them on my '33 build.
    Thanks, that's a good info to have!

My Cars
    540iT, Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    It looks like they did a nice job, how much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking?
    Indeed, the shop took a good care to do it properly. It wasn't the easiest project either as there really wasn't a template to copy or at least to start with... a lots of details to make sure it aligns with the bumper exhaust openings (I was replacing my old rear bumper with an "M version" at the same time), that it's not touching the bumper etc. I suggest that you call them (ask for Bill, the owner) to find out what it would cost - mine was really a prototype and I don't know what they would charge next time around. If you like me to post additional pictures just let me know.