Thread: Warm up Regulator Adjustment

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool Warm up Regulator Adjustment

Okay,, Complete WUR Adjustment:

* The WUR has to be grounded to operate--on the engine--on the brake master--where I do mine.

Take the WUR Out.

1.) Open the WUR up and separate the 2 halves, Remove the spring ,the cap, and the small metal bar
    2.) take off the bimetal bar off the metal peg, remove the nut then the bar will come out with washer and lock washer
    3.) Tap the peg holding the bimetal bar with socket--dont crush the threads-tap until near flush on the other side. Note-Put Hex Nut back on before tapping or use an adequate size Center Punch.
    4.) Tap the metal piece with a hole in the center until its about 3 mm high from its housing, this has the two hoses connected to it on the other side of it and is completely removable.
    5.) Put it all together and connect the bottom hose from the WUR to the fuel distributor.
    6.) The top hose is connected to the big hole in the WUR to the Fuel Distributor thru the Fuel Pressure Gauge.
    7.) Plug in the WUR to the wiring Harness
    8.) Jumper your Fuel Pump Socket
    9.) Turn the Key on and Wait 5 minutes--WUR will be Warmed up fully.
    10.) Look at the pressure Gauge it will be very low
    11.) In between the two lines on the WUR place a long extension 1/4 or 3/8's and strike the other end with hammer
    12.) You'll notice the pressure on the gauge starts to rise, strike softly and continue until its 48-54 psi,, 48 psi is better--this is a rich setting and your BMW likes it rich like mine..
    13.) Now shut it off and wait till the WUR is cold,,
    14.) Disconnect the plug to the WUR
    15.) Turn the Key on and look at the pressure maybe 30-40 psi--No biggee.
    16.) Take your extension or Drift and place on the small metal cylinder--near flush and tap with hammer---front side tapping this time...
    17. ) you'll see the pressure coming down, tap very carefully until your at 20 psi or so.
    18.) Your Done--You set Warm Control Pressure and Cold Control Pressure.
    19.) If your in Very Hot or Cold Places use a chart--otherwise your good to go--Standard for these is 20/50 --20/48 psi Gold Standard...

Note taking it apart and putting in a new oring and cleaning with alcohol is recommended, clean the screen hole with compressed carb cleaner or similar, those are M3x20mm screws--available at your hardware stores, use pb blaster or similar and let set on the screw thread ends to get them started loosening up. I have new Viton 75 orings in the wur I'm running and my backup and they are clean. I used oring lube as well.

I made tested and have a ceramic metal heater element for these... I used Kanthal A1...Putting 12v across it heats up like it should.

I took Joshs advice and using 15W-50 Mobil 1 with higher ZDDP,,, very good,, runs even better and smoother, for the warmer weather, in colder weather I'm using 5wt-40 Quaker State Euro Blend full synthetic- start up in cold weather are much easier, Shell Oil owned now.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 11-07-2023 at 01:33 AM.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Thanks for the succinct writeup! Looking to do this myself soon.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Randy- what size is that O-ring?

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    Randy- what size is that O-ring?
    M14x1.78mm. CS 1.78mm x 14mm [Cross Section "CS" X Inside Diameter "ID"] This is the O-Ring that is underneath the Circular Plate the M3x20mm screws secure too on the Warm Control Pressure Side. This O-Ring is sandwiched between 2 circular plates and traps gasoline from the filter side to return side, The O-Ring is pressed against a very thin Metal wafer disk which is sandwiched between the circular plates as well, on the other side is the small button which when pressed down increases Control Pressures.

WUR Servicing with Pictures:

http://b2resource.com/PDFs/wurservicing.pdf

Link Put in FAQ's in Fuel Distributor Rebuild.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 04-17-2018 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    So Randy, I did this again a couple nights ago, and had a question for you -

I followed your directions above, starting from step 6 since I replaced my o-ring last winter.

I turned the key on and let the WUR warm up for at least 5 minutes, until the pressure seemed to have stopped rising.

Adjusted to 50 psi as directed.

Turned everything off again, unplugged the WUR, and the next morning turned the key on again to check pressures.

Adjusted to 20 psi as directed.

Went for a 15 minute drive until the car was fully warm.

Checked pressure, and now it reads 60 psi.

This says to me that next time I should just get the car fully hot by driving before adjusting hot pressure, rather than just turning the key on and waiting.

What do you think?

thanks
    David

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I never had that happen year after year testing stays the same or very close, yet its worth a try, maybe try setting 40-45 psi drive around till warm then test and see if the pressure has risen to 50-55 psi. The heat of the block evidently has added 10 psi.

Randy