Thread: Chirping/Hamster wheel sound from dash?

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3

Chirping/Hamster wheel sound from dash?

Hey guys,

This weird noise just started happening in the past week. There is this bird chirping/hamster wheel noise coming from the front of the car, maybe by the dashboard? I cannot isolate its location, but it only happens at 55mph+ then goes away when I slow down to cruising speeds. It also does not go away if I apply the brakes (from above 55 mph) and is not RPM dependent. I have tried rattling trim pieces in the interior and nothing seems loose. I was reading somewhere that it could be the bearings within HVAC blower unit but it makes the noise regardless if the fans are on or off. The squeaking noise is driving me nuts! Any input appreciated

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    HVAC unit has a tiny blower motor in it too. You can see the vent and thermistor for it in the open mesh beside the LCD screen. It’s possible you are hearing that motor. It runs regardless of HVAC power and collects all sorts of dust/dirt.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    HVAC unit has a tiny blower motor in it too. You can see the vent and thermistor for it in the open mesh beside the LCD screen. It’s possible you are hearing that motor. It runs regardless of HVAC power and collects all sorts of dust/dirt.
    Thanks for the response. If that is the interior fan that keeps running ~15 min after the engine is off, that one sounds normal. The chirping sound definitely sounds rotational though. Kinda stumped since it only happens at highway speeds.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Mileage View Post
    Thanks for the response. If that is the interior fan that keeps running ~15 min after the engine is off, that one sounds normal. The chirping sound definitely sounds rotational though. Kinda stumped since it only happens at highway speeds.
    I had a similar noise coming from my HVAC blower motor. It got to the point where it would chirp whenever I turned the car (the gyroscopic forces made it push on its bearings and chirp when it was on and I'd turn the car). I was able to shoot some lubricant in there and quiet it for a good 50k miles before it finally died.

A open the hood, remove the cover, and see if you can get a shot at that fan (a youtube DIY would help you see where you should be trying to shoot the stuff). Be careful though - whatever you shoot in there will obviously be blown right into the cabin.

IF that worked, it would at least tell you that the blower was indeed the problem.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    blower motor

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I’m not seeing how a blower motor off would chirp still. They also typically only chirp when cold and quiet down when warm.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I had a similar noise coming from my HVAC blower motor. It got to the point where it would chirp whenever I turned the car (the gyroscopic forces made it push on its bearings and chirp when it was on and I'd turn the car). I was able to shoot some lubricant in there and quiet it for a good 50k miles before it finally died.

A open the hood, remove the cover, and see if you can get a shot at that fan (a youtube DIY would help you see where you should be trying to shoot the stuff). Be careful though - whatever you shoot in there will obviously be blown right into the cabin.

IF that worked, it would at least tell you that the blower was indeed the problem.
    I will dig under the hood tonight and spray some WD-40 on it. I want to eventually delete my heater core (track car) so may remove it altogether at some point. It's just one of those noises that drives you up the wall!
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    blower motor

Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    I’m not seeing how a blower motor off would chirp still. They also typically only chirp when cold and quiet down when warm.
    It chirps hot or cold. Does the blower motor receive outside air when circulation is turned off?

i get a loud thump from the dash when i start the car as well. do you have that too or just the chirp?

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyN F355 View Post
    i get a loud thump from the dash when i start the car as well. do you have that too or just the chirp?
    Hmm what sort of thump? Wonder if it's the heater valve?

I only have the chirping noise

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    chirping noise bedeviled me for a long time and it would continue sometimes even after the car came to a stop. Replaced the blower motor and noise was gone. Guessing the bearings were done.