Thread: 2008 328xi advise please

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2

2008 328xi advise please

I am looking at a car for my son it is a 2008 328xi coupe, automatic. I can pick it up for 5k. it has 124k miles and engine check lights. I have a 97z3 and a 90 Porsche I have wrenched on for years. I am not afraid to fix what it needs but I am not familiar with the all wheel drive. Is there anything I could check to know if the x drive is bad? is there a history of problems? I did try to do some looking on the site but didn't see anything. I am going to pull the codes and look them up. I test drove the car. It ran nice looks great. I am assuming I would have to do a complete coolant system refresh as there is no maintenance records.

is there any other thing on this car that is expensive to replace? that I should inspect if I can? or should I just run.

fyi small dealer they got the car 2 months ago they wanted 8k then.

thanks for you help

beer
    Think global, drink local, drive a convertible

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Check the front CVJ boots to see if they're cracked/leaking grease. That's the most common problem.

The stepper motor that drives the transfer case clutch: if it drives fine, it's ok, and there's no maintenance to be done to it - until it fails. Cheap and easy replacement - other than the fact that you need an OBD reader to reset the system.

A coolant system replacement on E9x and later isn't necessary. BMW wised up and beefed up the radiator and coolant tanks. The ECU and chassis computer also are programmed to make it quite obvious (SEL, limp mode, alerts on the dash) when the system fails, so engine failures due to overheating are essentially eliminated.

FYI: you need an OBD reader (BMW Specific) to do almost anything to E9x and later.

Some of the other sites (bimmerfest, e90post) have more info, and dedicated sub-forums for xDrive.
    Last edited by floydr; 04-13-2018 at 07:57 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would get. A prepurchase inspection

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    Check the front CVJ boots to see if they're cracked/leaking grease. That's the most common problem.

The stepper motor that drives the transfer case clutch: if it drives fine, it's ok, and there's no maintenance to be done to it - until it fails. Cheap and easy replacement - other than the fact that you need an OBD reader to reset the system.

A coolant system replacement on E9x and later isn't necessary. BMW wised up and beefed up the radiator and coolant tanks. The ECU and chassis computer also are programmed to make it quite obvious (SEL, limp mode, alerts on the dash) when the system fails, so engine failures due to overheating are essentially eliminated.

FYI: you need an OBD reader (BMW Specific) to do almost anything to E9x and later.

Some of the other sites (bimmerfest, e90post) have more info, and dedicated sub-forums for xDrive.
    thanks for the information. I will do some more reading. I pulled the codes with just a standard reader. the CPS seams to be the sensor that needs replaced. I got a similar deal on the z3 and it took care of it. what I don't like is where bmw puts it on this car. you have to remove the intake manifold and starter to replace it.
    would having a bmw specific OBD reader give me codes that a standard one would not? I just don't want to miss something that would cost more than the car is worth.

j clause.
    I don't have people I would trust to inspect the car, or work on it. that is why I do the work myself. I took the Porsche in once because I could not get a not loose to replace a shock. the mechanic says to the other mechanic " I those the engine was in the back on these cars?" I thought OMG glad I am just having him change a shock. I also have a 1985 celica gts cab my wife drives in the summer and my son does have a 1987 Toyota supra we brought back to life last year. it had sat for 4 years. all systems replaced or rebuilt. but not it is a fun driver ready for new paint. My daily is a 02 4 runner. we also have too new cars I have not had to do anything too. ya I have too many cars but in Iowa if you drive it in the winter it will rust.
    Think global, drink local, drive a convertible

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1933beer View Post
    would having a bmw specific OBD reader give me codes that a standard one would not? I just don't want to miss something that would cost more than the car is worth.
    Would you prefer to see an error code with the explanation "eccentric shaft failure"? Would you like to look at the FRM (footwell module which controls all the lighting) codes? A/C codes? and all of the 20 or so computer-controlled modules?

Or stop and look up the code - not all are available by Googling. The Autozone ones (or similar) are almost useless. The one time I stopped at an Autozone (in SLC, Utah on a ski trip) it read 4d16 - SCR system. Well, there are additional codes and stuff to along with that. Lucky I had seen 4d16 before and knew what it really meant.