Thread: Rollover Sensor On

My Cars
    69 911T, E46 330cic

Rollover Sensor On

Good afternoon - I had my top down while at lunch and a flash storm dumped a massive amount water in the car. Everything started up fine, runs fine, etc. but the rollover light came on. However, the rollover bars have not (nor ever) deployed and seem to be firmly in place (pulled off cover and pushed down on them to ensure they weren't dislodged). I took the car to an indie shop to see if they trigger the rollover bars and then reset the code - they were able to activate them, push them back in, but could not clear the light/code on the dash. Per their manuals, next step is to replace the sensor. BMW new sensor is $650 - no thanks. I found one off eBay from a parted out convertible. I took apart the back seat, unplugged the old sensor and plugged the new one back in - turned the car on but the light still came on. I pick up the new sensor to make sure the connection is good, and as I am lifting it up BOOM!! rollover bars deploy. I unplugged the sensor, turned the car off, put them back down...bolted the new sensor back into the frame, plugged it back in, turned the car back on and the light still comes on.....not sure where to go from here, any suggestions are appreciated!!

Also, somewhat random, when I pulled up the rear seat, this wire was lying there, loose. Anyone know what that might be to?
    IMG_8499.jpgIMG_9079.jpg

Thanks
    Tim

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Maybe the water that got in the car is causing the problem. If possible let it dry out for a few days with the battery disconnected. The connector you found is for a battery disconnect device installed at the factory and removed by the selling dealer before sale. The device prevents the battery from being discharged between manufacturing and sale. The other end of the harness is near the battery positive terminal. The wiring is not used anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    69 911T, E46 330cic
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    Maybe the water that got in the car is causing the problem. If possible let it dry out for a few days with the battery disconnected. The connector you found is for a battery disconnect device installed at the factory and removed by the selling dealer before sale. The device prevents the battery from being discharged between manufacturing and sale. The other end of the harness is near the battery positive terminal. The wiring is not used anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Yeah i should clarify that this is over a period of time and the install of the new sensor is in real time - so I i have a new working sensor in there but the light is still on. Fuse is fine too. Not sure what next troubleshoot step is so any suggestions appreciated!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    69 911T, E46 330cic
    I should back up, the rain incident occured a few months ago and I was slow on trying to problem solve. The car is completely dry - I am just trying to sort why, with a new working rollover sensor, the light has not gone off yet. From speaking with the tech, it also doesn't seem like something you can just turn off with a computer. Any suggestions on next areas to troubleshoot would be much appreciated!

Tim

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You need a diagnostic scan tool, that can communicate with all BMW modules,
    and that also has the ability to clear codes. A true BMW tech would know this,
    and have the necessary diagnostic tools available. I seriously think that you need a new tech!
    If you're interested in DIY, I can recommend several scan tools w/links.

My Cars
    69 911T, E46 330cic
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    You need a diagnostic scan tool, that can communicate with all BMW modules,
    and that also has the ability to clear codes. A true BMW tech would know this,
    and have the necessary diagnostic tools available. I seriously think that you need a new tech!
    If you're interested in DIY, I can recommend several scan tools w/links.
    Everything I’ve read from prior searches has indicated that the dash light is not “clear able” like a check engine code would be but please feel free to PM a DIY solution for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk