Thread: Whining noice when lifting throttle

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46 318i Sedan

Whining noice when lifting throttle

Hello ladies and gentlemen

My e46 318i is doing some truly annoying whining noices when lifting the throttle and/or keeping it at a steady rpm. It only happens after longer trips(driving 1.5 hours to work). If I turn off the car for 10 minutes the noice dissappears for a short while(3-5 minutes) and it comes back. On short trips it never appears.

I'd truly appreciate if some knows what is or at least have some ideas of what it could be.

If I have posted this in the wrong forum, please move it and notify me where it had been moved to, thank you.

I've added a video below, not great quality as I was focusing on not running anyone over. You can clearly hear the whining noice if you're listening for it.

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5010 med Tapatalk

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

I can think of a couple of things that will cause a noise like that:

1) Bad idle/tensor pulleys.
    2) Bad alternator.
    3) Possible vacuum leak

Things to check:

1 and 2) Remove the main and A/C belt and spin the pulleys and accessories.
    3) Have a look under the bonnet at all the rubber hoses going from the airbox to the intake. If you see any cracks, splits then replace the boot. Be sure to squeeze the rubber boot, as at times, it will hide in the accordion. Also be sure to check the small rubber vacuum lines as well.
    Last edited by dworthy; 04-14-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46 318i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

I can think of a couple of things that will cause a noise like that:

1) Bad idle/tensor pulleys.
    2) Bad alternator.
    3) Possible vacuum leak

Things to check:

1 and 2) Remove the main and A/C belt and spin the pulleys and accessories.
    3) Have a look under the bonnet at all the rubber hoses going from the airbox to the intake. If you see any cracks, splits then replace the boot. Be sure to squeeze the rubber boot, as at times, it will hide in the accordion. Also be sure to check the small rubber vacuum lines as well.
    Thank you, dworthy!

I'll try to see if any of those and return with an answer.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Also another thought comes to mind: Rear Diff. If none of the above makes a difference, I would jack up the rear end and see if it is low on fluid.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Bad alternator Hmm...A good symptom to investigate although I'm trying to imagine this possibility here too. Vacuum could take several minutes to drop negative sound producing pressures although possible. I just had tensioner issues with mine and they, 2 of them (alt. wtr pump) not ac) didn't resemble his claim, if he is describing issues well enough for others to chime in. I've never experienced what alternators sound when failing...Brushes can wear out, bearings can fail....Never happened me even with my 420+K original alternator in the 84 300D...but did replace twice the voltage-brush replacements.
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 04-18-2018 at 02:17 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46 318i Sedan
    A little update:

I haven't been able to look into any of the things you gentlemen suggested yet, but one thing I have noticed is that it have started whining when idling as well. Not sure if it changes what could be wrong.

Will take it to the mechanic next week.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Is it louder first thing in the morning, or after the car warms up? If it is doing it at idle, does it matter if you have the clutch engaged or not? For example you are in neutral with the car running and the clutch out, or sitting in the car with the clutch pushed in.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46 318i Sedan
    If I start it up in the morning there is no sound. It comes after about 1h of driving. The sound is there both if the clutch is in and out. However I think it might be slightly louder when the rpm is falling faster, but not certainly.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    I've had two noises that were similar to that. Both would occur after driving a long while, but not really provoked by engine RPM. One was the HVAC fan, and the other was the DME fan.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Alternator brushes when upon their last contact to the armature make a similar sound a carbon-to-spring collapse. It can take an hour for the failure to conclude... I have witnessed such...( a whining sound he describes happens)...He did not denote other observations that could indicate other mechanicals for possibility. The rear-end dry is a possibility but in all likelihood, and there aren't common or frequent reports for such....hmmm
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 04-20-2018 at 02:55 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    Alternator brushes when upon their last contact to the armature make a similar sound a carbon-to-spring collapse. It can take an hour for the failure to conclude... I have witnessed such...( a whining sound he describes happens)...He did not denote other observations that could indicate other mechanicals for possibility. The rear-end dry is a possibility but in all likelihood, and there aren't common or frequent reports for such....hmmm
    Quite true, and the problem is none of us is sitting right at the car to hear the actual sound. We have to throw out possibilities of failure to have the OP check to mark it off the list.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46 318i Sedan
    I'll hit the mechanic with this list you gentlemen made me so he has a place to start. Truly appreciate the replies here.

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46 318i Sedan
    First of all, I apologize for the late response; I'm a busy person.

I went to an authorized bmw mechanic and they repaired the problem.

It was one of the vacuum tubes that was an aftermarket one and it was simple too soft and it sucked itself flat, which produced this sound. It have been replaced with an original tube and now it just works.

Thanks for all of your inputs and time.