eBMWParts

Thread: Opinions on coilovers or sport suspension with lowering springs ?

My Cars
    1994 Bmw e36 318i sedan

Opinions on coilovers or sport suspension with lowering springs ?

So ive been wondering .. i need ro change the shocks in my car(1994 e36 318i sedan) as they are blown now. I was wondering whether to go with a cheap coilover setup like Emusa or a sport suspension setup like Stagg 4 with lowering springs? I also live in an area where roads have pot holes randomly all over and where the straight rodes are wavy hehehe

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'd just replace them with OEM shocks in your case, unless you really want to lower your car. Your existing springs should be fine unless they are broken/damaged.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    99 M3

Opinions on coilovers or sport suspension with lowering springs ?

Based on your assessment of the roads in you area I would shy away from coil overs and/or aggressive lowering.
    If you buy really inexpensive CO or stock style suspension you will be most likely disappointed in the end.

Sachs, Koni, Bilstein (KYB and Monroe) offer good stock replacement dampers to replace (your now very worn/old) stock shocks/struts, but use these with stock springs.

Here is one example -
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par...t/87501011kt3/

Looks like Tire Rack has a good selection for your 318, the H&R Touring kit and Bilstein B12 kit looks pretty good to me -
    https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...4&autoModClar=

If you want to lower your 318i, then you need to step-up to Koni or Bilstein Sport dampers which have shorter shock shafts to accommodate lowering springs, the shorter shafts allow the coil springs to ‘bind’ or bottom-out (good) before the shock/shock shaft bottoms out (BAD.)

You probably need new control arms and Tie Rods up front, use Lemforder (or Meyle HD) control arms and Lemforder Tie Rods.
    Some on these forums have been simply replacing the FLCA Ball Joints in their existing Forward Lower Control Arms, using solid E30 Ball Joints. Additionally, you should replace the dust boots, bump stops, and Strut Mounts/Guide Support, as well as FLCA Bushings. Use stock/Lemforder brand 1995M3 Centered Forward Lower Control Arm Bushings.
    Get the 1996+M3 Strut Tower Re-Enforcement Plates p/n 31312489795.

You should consider looking to re-bush the rear suspension also. Most likely you need RTABs - Rear Trailing Arm Bushings. Go with Lemforder brand stock replacement RTABs and add aftermarket RTAB “Toe Limiters”.
    And use new rear dust shields, bump stops, and (mandatory to) use E46M3 Convertible Rear Shock Mounts p/n 33526779670 and Z3 RSM Reinforcement Plates p/n 51718413359, over the stock E36 RSMs.

Here is an example of a www.realoem.com parts diagram. You most likely don’t have a ‘Motorsports’ chassis, but this gives a good idea of the full buildup of a strut.
    You should familiarize yourself with it and figure out how to navigate the various schematics.
    The E36 chassis is now considered “classic” in realoem-
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0243
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 04-14-2018 at 12:03 AM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I'm going to assume without sport-suspension:
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ks-struts-kit/

My Cars
    1994 Bmw e36 318i sedan
    Thanks so much guys for clearing things up for me. Hopefully ill go back to stock . But i really would like to lower the car about and inch or so just for the looks

- - - Updated - - -

And what do you guys think about the streetimageusa coilovers? Heard some pretty good reviews about them but nuthng on a bimmer e36

- - - Updated - - -

And what do you guys think about the streetimageusa coilovers? Heard some pretty good reviews about them but nuthng on a bimmer e36

My Cars
    1994 Bmw e36 318i sedan

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Based on the price of the "Street Edge USA" kit I googled on ebay, they're junk.

A quality adjustable coilover setup with front struts/shocks with camber plates, rear shocks and mounts and height adjusters, and springs all around will be an absolute minimum of $1500. A bit less maybe if you can find one without camber plates. A quality OEM-replacement style kit with just the struts/shocks and springs but nothing else that the original car doesn't have can be had for anywhere from $600-1000. Brands to look at would be Koni (or brands which use Koni shocks like Ground Control and others), H&R, or Bilstein.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy