Thread: head gasket oil seep

My Cars
    E36

head gasket oil seep

My S50 has an oil seep from the head gasket. It's really just a small patch of old oil with a damp patch in it on the passenger side near the manifold. Records from the previous owner show it was overheated about 70k miles ago, typical E36 cooling failure BS. There are no noticeable fluid losses issues and no signs of any oil or coolant mixing in either spot.

What do you make of something like this? Any chance replacing the head bolts can offer a cure? Got the idea from searching other threads.

She runs like a champ @125k miles.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    The head might have slightly warped if it overheated. Have you pulled the coils/plugs and checked inside the cylinders? It could possibly just be the gasket, but as has been verified to have overheated I would suspect otherwise.

If it becomes a bigger issue for you, you can get remanufactured heads for it and have them installed, but it will cost you a bit.
    Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 04-12-2018 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Are you sure it's coming from the head gasket and not the valve cover gasket?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    Are you sure it's coming from the head gasket and not the valve cover gasket?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ^ This was my first thought as well. That makes a lot more sense and is significantly easier to either ignore or address...

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    It was late when this was posted, I actually typed out a reply about the VCG before it hit me that he said "Head Gasket".

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    It was late when this was posted, I actually typed out a reply about the VCG before it hit me that he said "Head Gasket".
    Haha - I think we're all hoping for his sake that it's the valve cover and not the head.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    E36
    Head Gasket. As I said, it's not mixing coolant and oil, and the seep has been there a looong time. If I can simply replace the head bolts and fix like the previous generations I would, but otherwise as it's showing no symptoms and it's had this small seep for tens of thousands of miles, I'm wondering if there's any benefit in messing with it? There are no drips, no noticeable oil loss, no coolant loss, nothing but a little patch of oil on the head gasket on the passenger side. I know people get freaked out about it, but the head gasket is separating oil and coolant properly, and the only symptom is a slight oil seep externally, which has been there for a long time.

I checked with a BMW shop and they didn't seem concerned about it at all. I've never replaced a HG but I know people freak out about it.

My Cars
    E36
    I posted a response but for some reason it's not up. Yes, I'm sure it's a slight oil seep from the head gasket, and it's been there for a LONG time. I'm guessing it started when it originally overheated a bit about 70k miles ago (happened in town, not on the track), as I know it's been there for at least half this mileage with no other events during that time. As I said, there's no mixing of oil or coolant and no noticeable loss.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    OP, I wouldn't worry about this at all. If cars didn't seep a tiny bit of oil they would be all rusty!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I would just ckean it off with a microfiber and some kerosene and roll with it. My VCG has been seeping since before I had the car, the oil loss is very small

Watch it and take action if necessary. You could always take off the Valve Cover and double check the torque specs on the head bolts, use the opportunity to replace the VCG.

My Cars
    E36
    @Eric93se Thanks, I'm not too worried, just wanted to get some other opinions.
    @Deus Ex Machina I'll try that, might just wipe it off though because the only time I get it in the air it's already hot, don't want to accidentally start a fire with heat from the headers.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    Watch it and take action if necessary. You could always take off the Valve Cover and double check the torque specs on the head bolts, use the opportunity to replace the VCG.
    This is what I'd do. You can install ARP head studs if you really want to get things tightened down.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by tr64 View Post
    @Eric93se Thanks, I'm not too worried, just wanted to get some other opinions.
    @Deus Ex Machina I'll try that, might just wipe it off though because the only time I get it in the air it's already hot, don't want to accidentally start a fire with heat from the headers.
    I wouldn't mess with the head bolts. The "correct" torque is actually a specific number done in the right pattern, then another 90° turn in the same pattern, then ANOTHER 90° turn. I'd worry messing with it causes more problems than it solves.

Just leave it alone, maybe keep an eye on it.