Thread: Phone mount suggestions?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe

Phone mount suggestions?

I travel a fair amount for work and use the phone mapping function often. I also plug in a headset for talking to keep out excess noise.
    Does anyone have a mount which works well and doesn't interfere with the shifter or the airvent too much?
    Does anyone pull out one of the plugs next to the recirc/AC and hard mount something there?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Proclip

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Another option is Panavise. You don't see anything from the side so it's a bit more stealthy. Had one in my S8 and it was great.

20160822_161613.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Panavise-Cust.../dp/B00020CSXK

http://www.panaviseonline.com/Panavi.../75103-401.htm

The link is only for the base...Panavise makes all different attachments for whatever you're mounting...hmm, now I'm thinking of a small tablet mount for monitoring coolant temps and the like. Thanks for making me spend more $.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 04-13-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I bought an iMount on Ebay. It sticks to most anything--dash or windshield. I like to have the phone higher rather than lower so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road as long. The magnetic part of the mount requires that you place a piece of metal in your phone case. Severe bumps in the M will cause the phone to move, but it's never fallen off the mount. That's a drawback. Placing the phone on the magnet and removing it is the advantage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maker-of-iM...1aw3ii&vxp=mtr
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    '11 335is vert, '01 Z3M
    I have the ProClip and love it!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe, M Coupé
    I also use proclip but with their IOauto magnetic mounting system. Much better for my needs than anything else I’ve found.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    I bought an iMount on Ebay. It sticks to most anything--dash or windshield. I like to have the phone higher rather than lower so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road as long. The magnetic part of the mount requires that you place a piece of metal in your phone case. Severe bumps in the M will cause the phone to move, but it's never fallen off the mount. That's a drawback. Placing the phone on the magnet and removing it is the advantage.

i use 2 of these, one in each of my cars. As the other poster said, requires a metal plate under the back of the case ( won’t work without a case).

I like it. Easy to keep the phone at dash level, turn sideways or vertical, etc.

greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho322 View Post
    i use 2 of these, one in each of my cars. As the other poster said, requires a metal plate under the back of the case ( won’t work without a case).

I like it. Easy to keep the phone at dash level, turn sideways or vertical, etc.

greg
    So my question is does the suction cup really stick to a textured dash board? Does is come off without leaving a sticky residue or a mark? Does it continue to stick on a hot summer day with the windows up when your car is parked in the sun? Does it continue to stick over a winter night when the temperatures are in the teens or single digits? I've used sticky suction cup mounts before on the windshield, and they end up failing under these extreme conditions--I find them on the floor with all kinds of crap embedded in the silicone sticky thingy from the carpet (of my DD--my Roadster is always pristine and I have a Proclip for that), so I'm very skeptical of one that is stuck to a textured dash. However I'd give it a try in my DD if it really worked--for my DD I currently use a magnetic mount system that is affixed into the CD slot:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Cars
    2020 M2C
    I will give another recommendation for Pro Clip. No glue, no suction, designed for our cars. Add the magnet set up and phone is very sturdy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill
    2002 M Coupe. Steel Gray/Black.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe
    Thanks all, the advice is appreciated. I'm not gong to nickle and dime this--I'm going for the Pro Clip which will end up being $70 but not mar the interior and look good and be functional.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    So my question is does the suction cup really stick to a textured dash board? Does is come off without leaving a sticky residue or a mark? Does it continue to stick on a hot summer day with the windows up when your car is parked in the sun? Does it continue to stick over a winter night when the temperatures are in the teens or single digits? I've used sticky suction cup mounts before on the windshield, and they end up failing under these extreme conditions--I find them on the floor with all kinds of crap embedded in the silicone sticky thingy from the carpet (of my DD--my Roadster is always pristine and I have a Proclip for that), so I'm very skeptical of one that is stuck to a textured dash. However I'd give it a try in my DD if it really worked--for my DD I currently use a magnetic mount system that is affixed into the CD slot:
    I've had the same problem in another vehicle with the suction cup letting go from the windshield in heat and cold. That suction cup is rubber vs. the sticky silicone. The iMount is stuck to the plastic in the middle of my dash. I removed it this afternoon to see if it left a ring behind. There is something there but I could clean it off. I tried attaching the mount to the textured part of the dash--the door that covers the passenger air bag. It would stick, but the suction didn't help and it was easy to peel the mount off. The Ebay listing says it will stick to most textured surfaces, but now I have my doubts.
    Last edited by rasmuw; 04-15-2018 at 11:05 PM.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho322 View Post

greg
    on my Z3M, it sticks to the dash just fine.

on my DD, a 2012Honda Civic Hybrid, the texture on the dash is too much for the suction cup. I had to mount it on a mounting disk that is stuck to the dash with 2-sided tape.

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Henway View Post
    Thanks all, the advice is appreciated. I'm not gong to nickle and dime this--I'm going for the Pro Clip which will end up being $70 but not mar the interior and look good and be functional.
    Well, look at that: a question simply put and simply answered--a healthy debate--useful suggestions--links provided--a considered result--that is what this forum is all about. No flaming, no name calling, no ad homonym attacks, no "I know more than you about everything" technical jargon filled diatribes. A nice happy simple thread.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Well, look at that: a question simply put and simply answered--a healthy debate--useful suggestions--links provided--a considered result--that is what this forum is all about. No flaming, no name calling, no ad homonym attacks, no "I know more than you about everything" technical jargon filled diatribes. A nice happy simple thread.
    Shhhhh!.... don’t ruin the moment.

My Cars
    Chariot
    Had the Proclip phone mount and holder installed for a while until I got fed up with passengers knocking it loose due to its location-- console edge. It also scuffed the console leather finish. I've since switched to a panavise mount as s8ilver referenced in post #3 and reused my proclip phone holder. It's much more sturdy, doesn't get in the way, and most importantly sits higher. I couldn't be happier and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a solid mount. Installation was a breeze. I'll take post some photos over the weekend.

On another note, if anyone cares for the proclip mount, I'll gladly send it your way. Just pay for shipping.

My Cars
    Several
    These fit the diameter of the cigarette lighter hole perfectly. Phone is horizontal but discreet and simple. Spigen Kuel A2002 Car Phone Mount Magnetic Air Vent 2 Pack Phone Holder for iPhone X/8/8 plus/7/7 Plus/Galaxy S9/S9 Plus/Note 8/S8/S8 Plus/S7 Edge & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6HSDG2..._vlU4AbGSFYQM7