Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Angel eyes - yes or no

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Where can I buy the bosch with morimoto LED retrofit? I'm in Indio, ca.
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    ZKW are really not much better than US headlights, provided the US lights have fresh bulbs and are polished (no oxidation). The US headlight hate, is from people not refreshing their headlights.

The absolute best output halogens are Bosch H7 reflectors, not any of the ellipsoid headlights.

I agree about doing a retrofit on a Depo unit. The Depo headlight housings are about the same quality as a ZKW, i.e. both are honesty not that great in quality. The plastics on both are quite brittle. ZKW's slight advantage is in the optics, which you would be throwing out with a retrofit.

If I were to do my retrofit over again, I currently have Morimoto FX-R 2.0 projectors in ZKWs, I would instead do the Morimoto LED projector in Depos. Much less clutter, the LED drivers can be mounted inside of the headlight housing with some modification. No bulky ballasts and extra wiring to deal with in the engine bay.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    You would have to build them. Braymond has a good DIY on the process, including mounting the LED driver inside of the housings. Mounting the drivers inside, solves so many of the water proofing or condensation issues most retrofits suffer from.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=596151
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 05-03-2018 at 02:02 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I actually had to replace the anemic Mishimoto drivers with these;

RioRand Adjustable Boost 3~35V to 3.5~35V 5/12V DC Regulated Power Supply Voltage Converter Module with Digital Voltmeter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVCWGNE?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

One of the mishi units failed on me. These are working amazingly well and are super cheap. You can play with voltage to eek out a tad more light. Running mine at 18.5v. They also still fit inside the housing. I kept the Mishi driver in place for the fan power and high beam shutter. Pics coming on that.

I still need to sort the electrical noise that comes through the radio when the lights are on. Hoping some chokes will help. Once that is sorted they will be the perfect setup.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    I actually had to replace the anemic Mishimoto drivers with these;

RioRand Adjustable Boost 3~35V to 3.5~35V 5/12V DC Regulated Power Supply Voltage Converter Module with Digital Voltmeter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVCWGNE?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

One of the mishi units failed on me. These are working amazingly well and are super cheap. You can play with voltage to eek out a tad more light. Running mine at 18.5v. They also still fit inside the housing. I kept the Mishi driver in place for the fan power and high beam shutter. Pics coming on that.

I still need to sort the electrical noise that comes through the radio when the lights are on. Hoping some chokes will help. Once that is sorted they will be the perfect setup.
    Be careful with thermal run away, it's not a good idea to use constant voltage to drive an LED. As the LED warms up, it will draw more and more current for the same voltage.

I bet one of my AC/DC LED drivers would solve noise issues. You end up with an isolated output since it's a flyback, would just need to change turns ratios to accommodate such a low voltage (12V) input.
    Would be nice if we had access to a data sheet on the Seoul Semiconductor LED Morimoto went with.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 05-03-2018 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3,E36M3,E90,E23,66Mu
    I DO run orion V4 angel eyes on my car and I like them. I use the angel eyes as my DRLs and they get turned off and transition to the city lights when the headlights get turned on. At night, when the headlights are on, I definitely prefer the city lights over the angel eyes. I don't like the AEs at night with the other lights on, they look cool by themselves though. However, during the day, I like the AEs. The V4 are VERY bright, too bright IMO, they have an input wire that dims the AEs slightly when the headlights are turned on and A+ is applied from your headlights being turned on. I terminated that wire to the A+ feed for the AEs defaulting them to the dimmer setting. I think they look cool. At the end of the day that's all that matters, one's opinion of their car. Luckily, for me and the multicolored ricer car that I love, lol.
    Last edited by bigpuppy; 05-04-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    -Brian

-Varis-Hartge-Seibon-Umnitza-TRM--Mason Engineering-Zionsville-Mishimoto-Stewart-Conforti-BMW ///M/LTW

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    Why are you asking a personal look decision? Get what you want and be happy.

You will find majority on here don't like them, but if you do then go for it. It's your car after all.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    It a lot more than personal taste: fads come and go, technology improves, problems and short-comings become evident over time, etc.

Tha kn ro all this great input, and some hints from the experts, sounds like we're on the threshold of an LED solution.

I think I'll buy a set of Bosch H7 and wait and see.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jprottas View Post
    And for those of you purists who dislike the angel eyes do you also prefer the original orange corners and side-markers, or do some of you run cleats or smoked?

But angel eyes never came OEM on e36s, clear sidemarkers did....

My Cars
    2013 328i, 1999 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
    But angel eyes never came OEM on e36s, clear sidemarkers did....
    This ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    Eeh - I added them to the new headlights in my project car.

It’s destined for my daughter as her first car in the next 18 months; I’m wiring them as daytime running lights to increase visibility. Not near as awful as most of the stuff I tore off the car to de-rice it during the build.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    are slow.
    Negative ghost-rider.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123