Thread: So I bought a e46 and I want to boost it...

My Cars
    e46 325i Touring M54B30

So I bought a e46 and I want to boost it...

I picked up this e46 touring. It's a 5 speed, and has an M54B30 from a 330i swapped in. The motor pulls strong and is reported to have 85k on it.
    touring pass side.jpg
    The plan was to LS the car, but I'm having too much fun with it. I've been looking at those cheap Chinese turbo kits, and you know how that goes...
    Can you guys link to your favorite build threads for e46 turbos? I'm really new to the BMW world, I worked as a dealer tech for 10 years, and I am a fabricator by trade.
    It looks like the exhaust manifold is the same for the stock engine and the M54, so I'm hoping the T3/T4 hybrid turbo cast manifold will work without too many clearance issues.
    I'm not real sure how I want to handle the fuel/spark mapping while under boost. Is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator an option on these cars?

Really, if you know any well-sorted cars with good build threads, could you please point me in the right direction?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I think Technique Tuning offers a turbo kit for your car/engine.

My Cars
    M3
    I'm pretty sure you already have a "rising rate regulator" from factory. That won't be sufficent for proper fuel/spark tuning. Not sure who does m54s but I'm sure you can do a google search for tuning. People have boosted them so it's totally doable good luck!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    No turbo kits other than Technique Turbo. ESS makes a twinscrew supercharger, also expensive. AA and VFE sell centrifugal kits with the non intercooled ones being the cheapest. Seems like the OP wants to try an eBay box of parts because it is cheap. Since he is a mechanic and fabricator he can probably make it work. Find a good turbo tune first. Beware of issues with head bolts pulling out of the block from an overheat. Not much stock motor M54 turbo info in this forum.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LQ4 E36 View Post
    Is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator an option on these cars?
    Probably, but not the best option for an engine/car you want to last. That's what my 90s e34 m50b25 5-6psi turbo kit used.

My Cars
    e46 325i Touring M54B30
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    No turbo kits other than Technique Turbo. ESS makes a twin-screw supercharger, also expensive. AA and VFE sell centrifugal kits with the non-intercooled ones being the cheapest. Seems like the OP wants to try an eBay box of parts because it is cheap. Since he is a mechanic and fabricator he can probably make it work. Find a good turbo tune first. Beware of issues with head bolts pulling out of the block from an overheat. Not much stock motor M54 turbo info in this forum.
    So the weak spot is the block? not the head studs? I'm thinking 5-6 psi with proper tuning should net me an additional 90-100 HP. The car is a kick to drive as it is, but I'm like a toddler when I get a new toy, I have to take it apart.

Yes, I was looking at the ebay turbo in a box thing. It's a challenge for me, to make it all work. and I love a good fabrication challenge.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The problem with not tuning the ECU and using just a rising rate regulator is that the ignition timing is not reduced to factor in the heat and cylinder pressure. You can hope the knock sensor works well enough. For very low boost, you might get by. Might. But since you like projects you won’t have any problem buying a used M54 and doing a better job next time if it does not work out.

There is debate on whether the aluminum blocks are weaker. I think they are weaker than the iron blocks. But a few have turbocharged them. If you do some searching here you can find discussions and make up your mind. If you really can stick to 5-6 psi and resist the urge to turn it up and not experience any unintended overboosts, I think your odds are pretty good if you are starting with a good block — one that has never had its head bolt threads damaged from an overheat.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    The stock ECU is very tunable. No reason to rig anything with RRFPR etc.

I would timesert the block and throw some boost at it. Or boost it as is and timesert only if the head lifts. They use a MLS gasket from the factory IIRC. So they should hold some boost assuming the clamp pressure is sufficient.