Thread: water leak drivers floor

My Cars
    BMW E46 320d sport 2003

water leak drivers floor

hello.
    this is my first post and only because i am desperate.
    i have a water leak inside where drivers floor carpet is.
    i know what you are thinking door vapour seal but no all door vapour seals have been resealed with proper adhesive and then tested with pressure washer...
    wind shield is not leaking, cooling fluid do not disappear and i tasted the water on the floor and it is rain water.
    air conditioning in tact so i am kinda stuck here
    i always find water after rain, not much probably because its leaking slow.
    and i dont have a sunroof
    and even after car wash there is no sign of water coming in
    any suggestions ?

regards cryptkeeeper

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Well if it's none of them, then perhaps the door seals are leaking (the rubber strip the goes around the door opening). Since you have no sunroof (no drain holes), vapor barriers have been resealed, and it appears to be water from outside, that is the last place I can think of. Unless there is rot somewhere on the firewall allowing water in.

Time to investigate some more.

My Cars
    BMW E46 320d sport 2003

i painted red where i never notice any water what so ever and blue is where usually i find water
    seals are okey like i said i tested everything with pressure washer i was inside and my mate was using pressure washer on that door with all possible angles and spraying directly in the openings
    if pressure washer failed to get any water true the doors i dont believe rain could

how do i check for rots ? i dont think taking off carpet is a good idea. would i be able to see everything by just removing side skirt?

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    Since you're foreign I'll use left and right. The right side A pillar has a drain tube for the sunroof. If you open the sunroof poor some water down the front right corner. Often there is a 'Z' shaped piece just under the A pillar cover that can become a problem.
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    BMW E46 320d sport 2003
    dont have a sunroof

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    Since you're foreign I'll use left and right. The right side A pillar has a drain tube for the sunroof. If you open the sunroof poor some water down the front right corner. Often there is a 'Z' shaped piece just under the A pillar cover that can become a problem.
    Codeman, come on man, read the OP No sunroof.

Anywho, seeing where the water is makes me thing more that there is some rusted hole somewhere on the firewall, or on the very lower part of the windshield where it attaches to the car.

You can take the wipers off and the plastic trim on the outside of the car to look for any holes around there. As for the firewall, open the hood (bonnet) grab a bright flashlight (torch) and check every last inch you can possibly see. You can also get down and look under the dash and pull back the carpet to look for signs.

Also perhaps one of the grommets came undone that protects the wires passing through the firewall.

You're in one of those situations where you need a garden hose and a lot of patience to try and tack this leak down.
    Last edited by spoonerDee; 05-01-2015 at 10:25 AM.

My Cars
    97' 328i, 01' 320i
    +1 on firewall or near bottom of windshiel. Time to take a look there!
    Error 404

My Cars
    BMW E46 320d sport 2003
    yeah today is a nice day sunshine i will be able to look in to that more, last two days it was raining and i could not do anything

My Cars
    BMW E46 320d sport 2003
    hello again i found the problem.

yellow is where water is going
    red is where it should go

its like a cruel joke why bmw made it that way ?
    i tried putting everything together to make water go where it should go but can not do anything
    unless glue everything with adhesive or something

any ideas ?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Glue everything with adhesive?

Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I'd guess that trim piece should go over top of the one marked in red in your picture, and not below it. It appears to be positioned incorrectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    BMW E46 320d sport 2003
    i would think so too, but i tried to make it to go over the top and without modifying and using glue there is just no way
    probably that is what i will have to do

My Cars
    97' 328i, 01' 320i
    this is the passenger side... driver side is leaking no? I don't think you found your problem. I think what you are seing there is perfectly normal. Have you tried pouring water in it? You'll quickly notice where it exits. In or out of the car.
    Error 404

My Cars
    BMW E46 320d sport 2003
    since i am in uk right side is considered drivers side
    yea i tried pouring water and most of it goes on the shield below engine, very close to firewall
    same thing on passenger side but there is no water leaks there
    but now a lot less water coming inside the car, maybe because i cleaned everything

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    For anyone searching and arriving here, I've just replaced the vapor barrier with new butyl tape on the rear door of my E46 ZHP in an attempt to stop the leak in the back passenger side floor. Not totally sure if that's it yet, but I made this little video, maybe it is helpful to someone who hasn't done this repair before:

Video link: https://youtu.be/QrYU1ImOqVM