Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport seats - uncomfortable!

My Cars
    1998 328i, 2007 328i

Sport seats - uncomfortable!

On March 17th, I bought a CPO 2015 428i, xDrive. It's a really sharp car, and I'm generally happy with the performance (other than steering and run-flats, which I knew would disappoint). That said, I cannot get comfortable in the Sport seats. The car has the Sport line and Premium package, so the seat has all of the power adjustments and lumbar support. In this time, I've gone from some mild discomfort to now feeling pain/discomfort in my middle and lower back around the clock. I have never in my life had back issues until I bought this car. I've adjusted all aspects, but the seat back just seems really hard, and no matter what I do to the lumbar or how much I deflate it, I always feel like the seat is bulging into my mid-back.

A I've owned BMWs for the past 11 years (an e36 and an e90, both with premium packages but NOT sport seats) and never had a problem. I'm about 5'8" and 150, so I'm definitely not being squeezed by the seat. This is obviously not the type of thing you can experience on a test drive, and it's just slowly gotten worse with each day. I only have a 20 minute drive to/from my office, and that's all I'm doing because I hate driving this car.

Anyone else have Sport seat issues or any idea where the adjustment problem might be?

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    I love my Sport Seats. One of my favorite features.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    1998 328i, 2007 328i
    Yours seems to be common theme (across other forums), so I'm hoping that means there's a problem that can be fixed.

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    Burned up a lot of decent cars in my days as a road agent. Had all types of seats, including hugging bolsters on my SHO. Liked some more than others.

IMHO, everybodys' back is diferrent and unique.

That being said at 5'10" and 215. I've been comfortable on my 07 328xi seats and my 2015 335xi Sport seats.

For me they are like underwear, if you notice how they feel you've got the wrong ones on

My Cars
    93 325is, 98 Nissan Maxima
    I loved my e90 sport seats, can't say the same about the e39 sport seats

My Cars
    325e 1986
    Quote Originally Posted by rtd328 View Post
    On March 17th, I bought a CPO 2015 428i, xDrive. It's a really sharp car, and I'm generally happy with the performance (other than steering and run-flats, which I knew would disappoint). That said, I cannot get comfortable in the Sport seats. The car has the Sport line and Premium package, so the seat has all of the power adjustments and lumbar support. In this time, I've gone from some mild discomfort to now feeling pain/discomfort in my middle and lower back around the clock. I have never in my life had back issues until I bought this car. I've adjusted all aspects, but the seat back just seems really hard, and no matter what I do to the lumbar or how much I deflate it, I always feel like the seat is bulging into my mid-back.

A I've owned BMWs for the past 11 years (an e36 and an e90, both with premium packages but NOT sport seats) and never had a problem. I'm about 5'8" and 150, so I'm definitely not being squeezed by the seat. This is obviously not the type of thing you can experience on a test drive, and it's just slowly gotten worse with each day. I only have a 20 minute drive to/from my office, and that's all I'm doing because I hate driving this car.

Anyone else have Sport seat issues or any idea where the adjustment problem might be?
    I feel for you man. I just purchased a 2014 328d with the premium package, but regular seats, and I think my seats are way to firm with not enough foam in them. So, I was wondering if I would like the sport seats better. From your issues described above, it sounds like they may not be much better. I guess for comfortable seats in a bimmer, you need to get a 700 series car. I must say though that the lumbar adjustments on these seats are very noticable on different settings.
    I'm a former VW Jetta TDI owner and the seats in my Jetta were much more comfy. I have lower back problems too, so not sure how I'll get this problem. I love the looks of this 328d, but comfort is more important than looks. Wish I had paid more attention to the seat comfort on the test drive.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 15 428i GC
    What color are your seats? I have a 2015 428i xdrive Gran Coupe with the standard Black Leather seats. Wanna Trade seats? They are in perfect condition.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lborrorjr; 04-10-2018 at 05:56 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i, 2007 328i
    Lol - black with red trim... I'd like to trade this car for a check/cash and move on, to be completely honest. I've never been more uncomfortable in a seat in any vehicle, and that is not an exaggeration. Agree with the above posters, though, every body likes its own seat. It's just one of those things you can't learn on a test drive, and even then, you always think you'll find the right adjustment.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328Xi
    I picked up a 2013 325xi Premium today. My first complaint is that the seats have virtually no bolsters, so I'm slipping and sliding on every turn. Major disappointment. They're power seats, but that can't substitute for the absence of good bolsters.

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    I'm sorry--what is a 2013 325? You mean 328?
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2017 BMW 340i

I can offer a suggestion, based on my own experience. Instead of deflating the seat completely, try having it setup so that it supports your lower and lower-middle back. Think of how one of those ergonomic office computer chairs might be setup and intended for you to sit in. You might be having back pain because with the lumbar part of the seat completely deflated you are using your muscles to keep yourself upright. Your muscles get tired / overexerted and thus backpain is the result.

My Cars
    1998 328i, 2007 328i
    I appreciate your suggestion and have had the same idea for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, I'm not finding any relief in this seat. It's either too much or not enough support - just never correct. An old e90 seat with fixed lumbar support is basically perfect for me. The irony...

In any case, I remain really disappointed with the Sport seats. I hope others do more diligence or a longer test drive, because this would have changed my decision to purchase the car.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i
    I have a 2013 328i with the base seats and they kill my back on an extended drive. Any drive over 30 minutes begin to give me problems. I'll be looking for opinions on what other seats are like on these cars.

My Cars
    435i (2014); prev 328IS

Sport seats - my easy fix

I also had a problem with insufficient lumbar suport on my 2014 435. I simply removed the driver seat (4 bolts) and took it to a local auto upholstry shop where they added about 1.5" of lumbar padding for me. Simple! About $300.

My Cars
    325xiT E46
    I just drove 6+ hours with just breaks for nature calls in a new to me 2018 330i with 'sensa tec' vinyl sport seats and lumbar adjustment with no problems other than my skinny butt getting sore near the end. I recall back in the day someone, maybe Saab, did research and found that back rest position most likely to affect driving comfort. Suggestion was to recline it back more for the long drives.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    I appreciate your suggestion and have had the same idea for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, I'm not finding any relief in this seat. It's either too much or not enough support - just never correct. An old e90 seat with fixed lumbar support is basically perfect for me. The irony...

In any case, I remain really disappointed with the Sport seats. I hope others do more diligence or a longer test drive, because this would have changed my decision to purchase the car.
    I too am miserable. I recently purchased a 2015 228i with the premium sport seats. On a 4 hour trip, my wife and I both experienced unbearable lower back pain after about an hour. We tried adjusting everything but nothing helped. We even tried adding extra padding, but the pain persisted and I'm still feeling lower back ache 4 days later! Some people rave about these seats, and Edmunds says they are the best seats!
    https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series...the-fleet.html
    I have driven all types of sports cars over the years and NEVER had such pain. I was shocked when this happened. I am sick over the fact that I will have no choice but to sell this car. I've owned 2 bimmers in the past and never had an issue. Other than the seats, I absolutely love the car.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    I love my Sport Seats. One of my favorite features.
    tex2670, do you take long drives over 2 hours? Can you explain exactly how you set up your sport seats?
    Thanks!

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
    tex2670, do you take long drives over 2 hours? Can you explain exactly how you set up your sport seats?
    Thanks!
    Try high seating position with seat rest angled up and thigh support extended and seat back arced forward to keep a straight posture. I have that setting for long drive. Not good for easy shifting the manual or driving around town, but works great for me on long drives (8+ hours). I am 6'1" btw.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Thanks!
    I had a 500+ mile drive this summer (each way).

How do I set up my seats? I don't understand the Q. I adjust in each direction until I'm comfortable, and make adjustments as needed. My bolsters are all the way out, and I use minimal lumbar support. YMMV.

My Cars
    BMW 328xd wagon
    Sorry you are so uncomfortable. My sport seats (328d wagon, 2014) are awesome. First car I have owned that feels like a good broken in glove. I am 5’7” and about 155 lbs. My wife, 4’10” 110 lbs hates them, mostly because the seat edge (thigh support) hits her behind the knees. She uses a small pillow to acceptable effect.

Maybe try a seat wedge (foam wedge pillow) or something similar. Or look at any of the millions of seat covers/pads available. I also agree with the post somewhere above about trying to get the lumbar support to work better, you need it a little at least or there is a big unsupported area at your low back.

My Cars
    2015 428i
    Just for a different approach; if you're under 5'10" they will be uncomfortable because the seats are made for Germans. Who on average are 6 ft tall. If you have short legs from your hip to your knee you'll have a problem as this determines where your knee bend matches the seat end, in other words if they're too short or too long it affects the angle of your pelvis. If that angle is close to 90 degrees, you'll have problems as the bottom 3-4 vertebrae of your back are carrying your entire upper body, likewise the tendons and ligaments in your legs are pinched in this angle so you may feel some numbness.

Take a piece of paper and fold it in the equidistant places along the long side. Now, when you press the folded paper together from end to end like an accordion, you'll notice the angles of the bends vary. This is what happens to your body when you sit in a car for a long time. Now, leave the paper folded and after 10 mins let it unfold on it's own. Notice how the more extreme angles come undone quickly and the smaller ones don't? Same thing with your body, the more extreme an angle the more extreme the adjustment. In BMW seat terms, the more extreme a seat the more extreme an adjustment you'll need to make to make it comfortable during and after your drive. If you have a manual transmission you're done for, assuming you have seat issues, because your body is moving in isolation while being held against the unforgiving sculpture of the seat.

Another reason, suspension, if your car has sports seats, it probably also has a sports oriented suspension. Don't under estimate this, like career runners develop lower back problems from impact compounded over time, so will your back in a car with a sports suspension and unforgiving seats; over time.

Stretch, exercise, strengthen your core...no professional driver has a weak core for a good reason.

My Cars
    328iX Gran Turismo 2015

Resolved yet?

Have you resolved your comfort issues yet? Several good ideas already mention. Adjusted thigh support and lower seat height/angle affect back comfort greatly. Here is an idea that has not been mentioned. 1) Get your back feeling well. Maybe a little physical therapy to get you back to normal and strengthen some muscles that may need it regardless of what seats you own. 2) now that you feel well, ask yuan r physical therapist to help you optimize the seat adjustments.
    Personally, I love my sport seats. I’m 5’7” and 165#s. I drive cross country logging 600 miles per day and felt fine. I never expheard Ted to log more than 400 mi per day but fell great and kept going for 3 days.

My Cars
    435i (2014); prev 328IS
    I have a 2014 435i. Because the lumbar support feature was bundled into a very expensive upgrade package, I omitted it in favor of making my own seat mods.
    So the "sport" seat came with electric adjust and the pull-out thigh support. After delivery I removed the seat and took it to my local auto upholstry shop and had them add about 1.5 - 2" of lumbar support padding for me. It was the perfect fix and I think I paid about $250. Plus I got exactly what I wanted without settling for some standard option which might not have satisfied me.

My Cars
    2008 335 xi
    I've had an issue in the past and with leather seats they will conform over time to your body and fit like a glove. Be patient. Try amping up the lumbar support for a while.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 328i Sport Line
    I too am miserable. I recently purchased a 2015 228i with the premium sport seats. On a 4 hour trip, my wife and I both experienced unbearable lower back pain after about an hour. We tried adjusting everything but nothing helped. We even tried adding extra padding, but the pain persisted and I'm still feeling lower back ache 4 days later! Some people rave about these seats, and Edmunds says they are the best seats!
    https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series...the-fleet.html
    I have driven all types of sports cars over the years and NEVER had such pain. I was shocked when this happened. I am sick over the fact that I will have no choice but to sell this car. I've owned 2 bimmers in the past and never had an issue. Other than the seats, I absolutely love the car.
    I'm feeling the exact same way except it's not my back it's my thighs/hamstrings that are killing me. I'm 6' - 230lbs with large, short legs and my 2015 328i premium sport seats are the absolute worst on my legs and during the test drive I never noticed unfortunately. My back is fine at least. I've tried every seating position but nothing seems to work to alleviate the non-adjustable ultra firm thigh supports sticking up & gouging into the backs of my hamstrings. The pull out support has a subtle half inch drop off when extended and creates yet another pressure point where the seat ends and the pull out support begins. When I pull the support all the way back it makes me feel like I'm falling off the seat so I can't win. I would trade these seats in a heartbeat and at the moment I'm looking for some sort of thin pad or something that can fill the gap and raise me above the hell wings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast