Thread: Painting e46 grille?

My Cars
    89 525i ,05 325i, 11 528

Painting e46 grille?

Was thinking about purchasing a matte black grille for my '05 but wanted to know first if any of you had success painting your factory grille matte black instead of buying a new one.
    If so...which paint did you use? Pics would be great too! Thanks

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I thought about blacking out the chrome in my after market grills that are already mostly blacked except the grill molding and each side of the many grill slats. It's half and half. One would have to sand all of the grill by hand or light bead blast for any semi-gloss or flat black to stay adhered over time. Any paint will blow off a chroamed substrate if not sanded. The time and effort to prep and paint grills may approach a point called 'cost prohibitive' meaning that the labor time and materials costs exceed any reasonable attempt to approach...............There are after market blacked-out grills available...Google...that in the end will give you what you want and for far le$$.

My Cars
    89 525i ,05 325i, 11 528
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    I thought about blacking out the chrome in my after market grills that are already mostly blacked except the grill molding and each side of the many grill slats. It's half and half. One would have to sand all of the grill by hand or light bead blast for any semi-gloss or flat black to stay adhered over time. Any paint will blow off a chroamed substrate if not sanded. The time and effort to prep and paint grills may approach a point called 'cost prohibitive' meaning that the labor time and materials costs exceed any reasonable attempt to approach...............There are after market blacked-out grills available...Google...that in the end will give you what you want and for far le$$.
    Ok thanks a lot! I've seen some on Ebay for less than $25....think I may just go that route and hope quality is tolerable.

My Cars
    05 E46
    My wife got me a set of the ECS matte black grills for my birthday. Fit and finish is top notch. They are a bit more pricey, but I think they were money well spent.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I installed the Matte grill with the BMW M stripes as a tester. While I gave ECS Turning 4 stars, it was only because the rubber on the back side was missing. The grills are designed to push air thru the radiator and the cold air intake.

Here are a couple of pictures as a reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    05 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    I installed the Matte grill with the BMW M stripes as a tester. While I gave ECS Turning 4 stars, it was only because the rubber on the back side was missing. The grills are designed to push air thru the radiator and the cold air intake.

Those look great!

Here’s mine with the solid matte black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    89 525i ,05 325i, 11 528
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
    Those look great!

Here’s mine with the solid matte black.
    Nice fellas!!! Real nice!!! Looks like I'm gonna go ahead and buy some instead of painting.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    ECS Turning .....I've ordered and received varied parts for when I had my A6 from 2006...They are a friend!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by czaredd View Post
    Nice fellas!!! Real nice!!! Looks like I'm gonna go ahead and buy some instead of painting.
    I have tried to paint over chrome in the past, and after a couple of months, it will start to peel.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member