Thread: First long road trip advice

My Cars
    2012 Alpina B7

First long road trip advice

I am taking my E31 ('93 850Ci) to the Southeast Sharkfest. The car is fairly new to me. I have done about 500 miles since acquiring it. My trip to Spartenburg will be over 700 miles each way. The car came with a great service history and I did a 260 mile test drive on the way home. Everything worked as it should. My question to long term E31 owners: other than making sure fluids are fresh and topped off, tire pressures correct, etc. is there anything to which I should be aware? Are there any spares that should be considered "must have" items. I have a race car, so I know that list can be long. I just want to make sure that Haggerty roadside assistance isn't plan A. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is inspiring.

thanks, Greg

My Cars
    1994 840CI & 1995 Rx-7
    2x 5lb ABC fire extinguishers.

spare accessory belts

spare radiator hoses

high visibility vest

flares

reflective triangles

moving blanket (in case you need to work on your car, it can protect the fender paint & you can use it as a cushion if you need to kneel or lay on you back)

your tools

jack

jack stands

AAA

RADAR detector

price quote shipping your vehicle home, in the event of a failure

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I drove mine from Spokane, Washington to Atlanta Ga and didn’t even check the oil. You’ll be okay.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    There use to be a Map with several members throughout the States to assist E31's with traveling sickness, Sorry i forgot where mines is, Hopefully someone still has a copy.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    After purchasing Eva at 11:00 pm, the next morning I drove her from Miami to Cincinnati in 1 day without incident. Not smart, but got lucky. Definitely not recommended. What you do to get ready for the trip is far more important than what you can take with you. Check everything. Hoses, clamps, belts, fluid condition and levels, tire condition and pressure, spray soapy water on inner and outer tire beads and the valve stems, re-torque the lugs, evaluate any minor leaks, test your alternator, inspect and charge your batteries. Prep your car for this trip like you prep your race car for the most important race of the season. A few of days spent in your garage at home are far better than any time spent on the side of the highway.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    1995 740iL, 1995 850ciA

Coolant, or lack there of, is the KILLER!

Quote Originally Posted by beanerbmw View Post
    I am taking my E31 ('93 850Ci) to the Southeast Sharkfest. The car is fairly new to me. ...
    ...can be long. I just want to make sure that Haggerty roadside assistance isn't plan A. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is inspiring.

thanks, Greg
    Aux water pump and the hose that connects rear coolant manifold to aux water pump and heater solenoids. The tools to change it, and coolant AND 2 gal water container. You will probably be able to get water somewhere but you'll need a container to carry it. DO NOT drive even 1 mile if you START to lose coolant.

My Cars
    Too many ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 72tpik5 View Post
    What you do to get ready for the trip is far more important than what you can take with you. Check everything. Hoses, clamps, belts, fluid condition and levels, tire condition and pressure, spray soapy water on inner and outer tire beads and the valve stems, re-torque the lugs, evaluate any minor leaks, test your alternator, inspect and charge your batteries. Prep your car for this trip like you prep your race car for the most important race of the season. A few of days spent in your garage at home are far better than any time spent on the side of the highway.
    +1. Then don’t sweat it and enjoy the drive. But bring your AAA card just in case

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Upgrade you AAA to plus (for 100 mile towing) and get the Waze app. If you're upgrading your AAA, it takes like 5 or 7 days to go into effect, so take that into account. I used Waze on a trip from CT to FL and gave me the heads up every single time the entire drive.
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    2012 Alpina B7
    thanks for the feedback. I have good a good towing policy with Haggerty. I just hope to not use it! the car came with a very complete service history, so I'm not too worried. I just hate getting stuck on the road out of town. I guess my Alpina B7 has had more issues. It is in the shop for a fuel level sender today. I have Waze downloaded and an updated V1. With a thorough pre-departure inspection, I'm sure that I will be fine. i'll take lots of pics and post when I return.

Greg

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Enjoy your trip.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850ia
    Well Greg, for the 5 years I have had my 850i-92 I have taken my car yearly on a 3.500 miles long trips. Have had a few minor problems such as low oil level, a lose ignition connector. A great car of you do a regular service and follow the instructions in the service manual. This summer it will see some more alps and highways.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    After purchasing Eva at 11:00 pm, the next morning I drove her from Miami to Cincinnati in 1 day without incident. Not smart, but got lucky.
    Similar story. Bought "Heidi" in Indiana on Thursday, started the 2,000 mile drive to Southern California on Saturday. Overslept Sunday morning in Albuquerque and ended up crossing the Mohave desert at high noon....with the AC on & outside temp of 117 degrees. Oh, with the cruise set at 80. Best drive ever!

Sounds like your maintenance is sound so put that 8er on the road and enjoy the drive.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Enjoy your trip.
    Appears you did just that!
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    You can take a million and one parts, but these days, a cell phone is invaluable.

My Cars
    2012 Alpina B7
    the car performed almost flawlessly. Cruise control was a bit wonky when I started. it didn't want to resume or reset after disengaging. after a fuel stop, it would work correctly for a while. on the return trip, it worked as designed all of the time. only one other small issue. after idling for almost an hour while we positioned for the panoramic photo shot, it died a couple of times upon restart. it then had a rough idle for a minute before it all cleared up. I'm sure that sitting there running wasn't healthy, but no further issues. I will be back at SESF next year. thanks for everyone's input.

Greg