Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alwaysbored786's E36 M3 LS1 Swap Build Thread

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Looking good. Any new updates??

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    Not much lately,

Charlie removed the ABS unit and we labeled the lines. Got my flare nuts in (M12x1.0), and some flare nut unions for the rear lines. Brake line size is 3/16" for anyone wondering, im using NiCopp due to the ease of bending. Thinking about relocating the ABS pump to just under where the SAP sat, hopefully will be an easier run and make things look quite a bit cleaner.

Engine mounts finally shipped out yesterday, so I should have those soon!

I pretty much have most all the parts I need sans some cooling hoses and heat shielding, so once the mounts and harness come in, the real work can truly begin.

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    Guess i do have a small update, finally got around to powerwashing the engine bay. Used a combo of Super Clean, elbow grease and a power washer, makes it a bit nicer to work in here now.

Before:

After:

Was able to find some time to wash the daily, was absolutely filthy before!

Last edited by alwaysbored786; 06-08-2018 at 03:44 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    Engine and trans mounts are here!! They look fantastic, and come with brand new hardware. Real test will be when i throw them on to see how they fit with the JTR headers.

Charlie also dropped by and he cut off the ABS pump brackets on the driver side and removed the secondary air pump support panel in the engine bay. We'll be using the stock ABS pump brackets and welding them where the SAP used to sit. Its a much cleaner look since I wont have tons of brake lines all visible sitting near the front of the engine bay. Got my brake flaring tool in from the UK, bought the same one that Tipsy used, you can see that here: https://ebay.to/2MmGeMo

I also purchased 2 E46 upper steering shafts and heated them up to remove the collapsing column pieces, then shoved them into each other to form one solid shaft. Total cost $50, and its nearly the same exact length as the stock E36 shaft, sans the guibo. Hoping clearance will be good to go now, and wont have much play in this. I read a lot of issues with the flaming river u-joints in the Sikky and Vorshlag shafts, so I did some research and found this video on youtube and thought id give it a shot. Keep in mind this column will not collapse anymore, so to install, you'll have to unbolt the steering rack to get the clearance.

Here is the DIY youtube video, its pretty self explanatory:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmgbPt2t6m4

BTW, that glue when heated up will burn your eyes because of the fumes, have some good ventilation!

Got some bad news as well, Wiring specialties says it'll be another 3-4 weeks before my harness is made, they were recently hit by a tornado so they are still recovering. So far i've been waiting almost 4 weeks now, but not much I can do about that, was hoping to get the car started way sooner.
    Last edited by alwaysbored786; 06-13-2018 at 09:21 AM.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    mounts look baller!

Sucks about wiring specialties, I just got mine few months ago but even then it took about 4-5 weeks to get it sans the tornado lol. It's worth the wait though, all plug and play and looks great

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    Yea man I cant wait! Those mounts were about a 2-3 month wait as well, my build is no where near as quick as yours haha.

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    So i test fitted the engine mounts on the engine, the tried to get the headers mounted as well.

key word...tried. Headers dont fit, the driver side will need some finessing with a hammer to clear, wont be too bad. Passenger side is another story, definitely will need some major modifications to get it to clear the mount, will have to figure out what route to go, but project is on hold till I can get this to work.

Driver side, area where its hitting is sharpied:

Passenger side, not even close.

For the record, these are JTR ceramic coated headers with mounts from Chuck Kovach (Brot80 on IG). Chucks mounts look fantastic and are not guaranteed to work with JTR headers, and vice versa with the headers to mounts. I took the risk here, not blaming anyone. Maybe ill give in and buy Chucks headers for $1400....
    Last edited by alwaysbored786; 06-18-2018 at 09:44 AM.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
    So i test fitted the engine mounts on the engine, the tried to get the headers mounted as well.

key word...tried...

...For the record, these are JTR ceramic coated headers with mounts from Chuck Kovach (Brot80 on IG). Chucks mounts look fantastic and are not guaranteed to work with JTR headers, and vice versa with the headers to mounts. I took the risk here, not blaming anyone. Maybe ill give in and buy Chucks headers for $1400....
    That's too bad. Thanks for the update.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    ouch, sorry to hear man, the headers look so nice too

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    So we did a test fit with the engine, chucks mounts work well, but as we already figured out, the passenger driver side needed some bashing in with a hammer, and it cleared fine. The steering shaft I made fits right through the JTR header, and is the perfect length.

I finished up the ABS lines after temporarily riveting the bracket into its soon to be permanent location.

One thing I had an issue with was line clearance for the line towards the back of the pump, being too close to teh strut tower. Figured out that if i swapped the fitting on the abs block to the bigger sized one, and used the corresponding line, I could use the original line since it was a very tight radius that would be a perfect fit. Also realized this after figuring out there isnt really a good solution for using a banjo bolt fitting on the ABS pump block, since you have these little filter things that protrude out as you can see below.

Got the trans fitted, had to cut out a hole in the trans tunnel as expected, the T56 is heavy as fu**.

Cleaned up the jagged edges, and we plan to weld a plate over top of it to close the gaps a bit. Or i may just use the DEI tunnel heat shielding to cover it up and have a hole cut in that for the shifter to go through.

Also figured out that my stock brake booster wont fit, I need to find a 190E steel booster and get that bolted up, apparently it will bolt right up, all you need to do is relocate the travel pedal sensor to the brake pedal, and create a custom bracket to hold it.

Passenger side header still needs to be modified, it has to be totally cut up, no way of even trying to salvage any of it. Still lots of work ahead, but hoping I can start this thing in the near future!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12