Thread: Valve Cover Gasket Leaking....Again!!

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M

Valve Cover Gasket Leaking....Again!!

So I replaced my leaking vcg before doing an autocross...during the event I see smoke from oil dripping on the headers. The leak seems to be around the back. RTV was placed on the half moon sections and vanos area of the head.

Are the S52 valve covers known to fail or develop cracks?
    Would excessive blow-by cause this?

Setup:
    VF supercharger 6-7psi
    OEM CCV has been deleted with the port for the dipstick is plugged
    Crankcase vented to atmosphere
    -Phil

My Cars
    98 m3
    They can warp. See if its flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    I've basically come to the conclusion that they just all leak.

Last year I swapped to an OBD 1 cover in the attempt to avoid VC leaks. Doesn't help, it leaks in the same spot which for me is between the last 3 VC nuts on the bottom from the back.

Not sure why, maybe it's the proximity of the runner/wg in my case but nothing I've tried works... New gaskets, rubber doughnuts, different VC, gasket maker, even a different head (not due to the leaks). It seems like a new gasket holds for about 2-3 months before it starts to seep.

Very annoying...

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    They can warp. See if its flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That case, more than likely it's warped.

I'll look to swapping it out for a new one. Are there any aftermarket, or should I stick to OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    I've basically come to the conclusion that they just all leak.

Last year I swapped to an OBD 1 cover in the attempt to avoid VC leaks. Doesn't help, it leaks in the same spot which for me is between the last 3 VC nuts on the bottom from the back.

Not sure why, maybe it's the proximity of the runner/wg in my case but nothing I've tried works... New gaskets, rubber doughnuts, different VC, gasket maker, even a different head (not due to the leaks). It seems like a new gasket holds for about 2-3 months before it starts to seep.

Very annoying...
    Good to know. I can live with a little oil burning. Though, I'm getting tired of venting to atmosphere. I'm planning to run the pipe directly to the exhaust.
    Last edited by Z-Thrizzle; 04-09-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    -Phil

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    Good to know. I can live with a little oil burning. Though, I'm getting tired of venting to atmosphere. I'm planning to run the pipe directly to the exhaust.
    Unfortunately it's not just oil burning smell, the oil in my case leaks down the header right on/in to the manifold studs, which seems like it causes my manifold nuts to come loose over time due to the constant lubrication.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Unfortunately it's not just oil burning smell, the oil in my case leaks down the header right on/in to the manifold studs, which seems like it causes my manifold nuts to come loose over time due to the constant lubrication.
    That sounds like a disaster! How did you find out they were working loose?

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    Probably got a nice ticking noise from exhaust leaks.

My Cars
    M3
    Probably is warped. I had an S52 VC and set it on the cylinder head with no seal, and realized that there was 3/8" gap if I held one corner flat!!! Grabbed one from the local yard, wallah perfectly flat. Sometimes I wish it was an alloy...

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by lbennyboobool View Post
    That sounds like a disaster! How did you find out they were working loose?
    like IR M5 said, exhaust leak.

Since then I've cleaned and replaced the nuts I could remove with new ones (again) and it's been ok... I rechecked some of them and they seem to be remaining tight for now but I certainly don't let it leak for as long as I did originally when I too thought "ahh it's just a little oil burning smell"

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    My last one came loose same place and it turned out that the bolt wouldn't catch into the head itself, which required a timesert. If you just replaced the gasket (not Victor Reinz, right?) and applied RTV at the half moons, AND torque the bolts to gutentight, it shouldn't leak. That leaves the valve cover itself or your head.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Ive had no vcg issues with obd1 cover and elring gaskets, victor reinz horrible tho.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    My last one came loose same place and it turned out that the bolt wouldn't catch into the head itself, which required a timesert. If you just replaced the gasket (not Victor Reinz, right?) and applied RTV at the half moons, AND torque the bolts to gutentight, it shouldn't leak. That leaves the valve cover itself or your head.
    You would think so, but I've changed the VC and recently the head... yet here I am lol