Thread: To dump the supercharger or no?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

To dump the supercharger or no?

Hello all, I am not very educated on this supercharger situation. I did on a 95 last year that had AVF supercharger on it. I track the car once in a while and it seemed to not really do anything for me. I put a math kit on it to help it keep cool but just was more of a pain in the butt than anything. I now just purchased another 95 with a supercharger on it, I think it’s an active auto works??. I will find out more when I get home tonight. My question is, those of you that have an E 36 supercharged, and if you track it, is it worth it? Does it do anything for you? Any insight would be extremely helpful.

My Cars
    I'm far from an expert, but from what I do know, nearly every single person in this forum will tell you to dump a supercharger and go turbo.

That probably doesn't answer your question, but it's all I got!
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    E36
    Most I know who have started out with the average supercharger kit on e36 platform have gotten bored quick. I was contemplating a supercharger from active or VF prior to turbo but made a list of the pros vs cons. It will definitely cost more if quality parts are used but the gains are endless. In your application you will want quality parts for sure(high cap fmic, water cooled turbo, oil cooler, etc.). It justs harder to make good power with a supercharger on e36 unlike e46/e92 m3s.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    it seems like you will always be fighting heat when tracking a supercharged e36. I've seen several builds say they didn't gain very much power after the heat soak took place

My Cars
    '97 M3
    You will want the air/water heat exchanger and run meth or e85 to control the heat soak issues. Some where around 500 whp will be the max you will get out of the supercharger with all the bolt ons. Torque will always be about 100 wtq less than a turbo at the same whp. I've tracked my car with a SC and with a few different turbos. The car is obviously much faster with the turbo and its way easier to keep the sound levels down with the turbo. My home track has a max of 90 dB so sound is a big consideration.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    86 325es

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I appreciate all the replies. I think I will rip it out. Not worth the headaches. Any help on the value of one of these things? I have gauges, obviously the ecu, all the pullies, brackets, etc. It is a vortech v2. It was just rebuilt.

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I would say anywhere between $2750-$3500

My Cars
    E36 2JZ
    I would keep it until you're ready to move on to something else. I wouldn't go back to stock so soon

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    A water/air intercooler will completely change the car. I ran without one for a while and it was pretty much useless after the first 30 minutes or so.
    With the charge cooled properly it feels like it's making the same power all day long. I'm sure it decreases some when everything is heated-up, but I can't tell a difference. I also vented the hood, which seems to help.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Where did u put the cooler? Have any pics?

My Cars
    M3
    Turbskie time.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by crc13 View Post
    Where did u put the cooler? Have any pics?
    It's in the same location as the RMS coolers, but it's a custom setup that cost me about 1/5 of what the RMS setup costs. The heat exchanger is bolted to the bumper beam. I'm using a Bosch "Cobra" pump, and have a small fill reservoir. I will be upsizing both the heat exchanger and reservoir, probably this summer. But it works great as is.

AAAAnnnd Photobucket is a joke. My IG is @slingshot900. There are a few pictures in there.
    Last edited by 1000hp; 04-12-2018 at 06:32 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    With the higher boost from an intercooler you will also need larger injectors and maybe a larger hfm and a new tune. Factor that into your budget. If you can weld aluminum you could make an inline water to air unit like the RMS using universal parts from frozen boost or similar companies. I had the rms one and tried cutting a bigger core universal one but could not get it to fit. With welding it might have worked. Look up posts from cjsurr — he fitted a small universal core before going turbo.

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    I've been contemplating this question myself for quite a while. I've got an e30 with an NA s52 that I've been shaking down at autoxs and track days for a while. The intention being that once I've corrected all the weak links I would supercharge it. I've got a rotrex blower sitting on my bench for the purpose. I'm only aiming for 8-10 psi, nothing crazy. Just looking for another 100-130ish hp.

Has anyone here successfully run a supercharger on a track car? If so, how'd you do it?

'96 328iC, '96 328i, '89 s52 swapped 325i
    Shadetree30

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    If you can weld aluminum you could make an inline water to air unit like the RMS using universal parts from frozen boost or similar companies. I had the rms one and tried cutting a bigger core universal one but could not get it to fit. With welding it might have worked. Look up posts from cjsurr — he fitted a small universal core before going turbo.
    That's exactly what I have. I'm not set up to weld aluminum so I had a fab shop modify it.
    I followed cjsurr's thread. He stuffed his in there with no modifications, using only silicone elbows. I tried the same when I first got the intercooler, and there was no way in hell it was going in there without being completely rednecked and crammed in against the back of the alternator and everything else in that area. He was using the same core I am using. Modifying it is necessary unless you want to butcher the installation.

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    centrifugal no good....or not as good

of course i'm the lone wolf in the room to recommend something that is not made anymore....TS!

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post
    centrifugal no good....or not as good

of course i'm the lone wolf in the room to recommend something that is not made anymore....TS!
    Twin screw would be great, but they're hard to find and when you do find them they're a million dollars.

Centrifugal works great for me and makes plenty of power. When set up and cooled properly, they're a lot of fun.

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    Twin screw would be great, but they're hard to find and when you do find them they're a million dollars.

Centrifugal works great for me and makes plenty of power. When set up and cooled properly, they're a lot of fun.
    Yes, no doubt....fun was had with a NA E36, any increase makes it even better. THAT, i have learned is the key, do what makes YOU happy.....but i will acknowledge that is hard to do on the internet...lol

Especially in a turbo dominate forum and world!

**btw, im looking at the TS options for my E92M....man i WISH Josh and Mike were still working their magic.

Anyway, dream time over. Enjoy your car!

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Harrop sells an Eaton kit through BPM in the US for the E92M3. I will probably buy a used ESS centrifugal kit at some point.

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Harrop sells an Eaton kit through BPM in the US for the E92M3. I will probably buy a used ESS centrifugal kit at some point.

yup, yup. i've seen the Harrop kits. Let me know how that ESS works out; i would not want to lose any of the characteristics of the V8.

Anyway......sorry OP......back on topic.