RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Worth Fixing?

My Cars
    1990 325i e30 sedan

Post Worth Fixing?

So yesterday i pulled the head offmy m20 and this is what it looks like (see pictures). I pulled it because of a suspected head gasket which is obvious but i wasnt expecting the oil. Does this signify pistons rings? Just wondering if its even worth the money and time to put into this engine. To be honest i really dont want it and am looking for any excuse to put an LS in it. I was thinking just doing all the gaskets, putting it back together and running it till it dies. Would like a second opinion and advice. Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I see rust on the cylinder walls, that tells me you had a bad head gasket. That black stuff on the top of the pistons is nothing more than carbon build-up, typical for that age of motor. I would use some scotch brite pads to remove the rust and slap a new head gasket on that thing.

Also to ensure the head isn't warped, a good machine shop can check it, and while they are at it, maybe deck it a little and check for any cracks.

Lastly make sure you get a new timing belt, and do not reuse the old one. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to slap in a waterpump if you don't know when it was last replaced.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Plug condition ought to reveal if this was an oil consuming cylinder before the HG failure, doesn't look that way to me. There is an oil passage adjacent to that cylinder.
    If the cylinder walls are heavily pitted you are looking at a bigger deal of course. Hard to tell from the photos but they look rough from here. I'd oil up the cylinders and rotate it by hand a few times to see if the rings will scrub it off. At the top of the bores the engine will have a lot more tolerance for this.
    As you are looking for an excuse to swap it I can't advise. If it were mine, the head didn't require a bunch of cash and the bores at least decent I'd repair it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Since you already want to swap it I'd stop looking for an excuse and just put the LS in
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1990 325i e30 sedan
    Any of you have any recommendations on how to get the head and block polished up. I got most of the old gasket off i just cant get this last little bit off. Im scared to try anything to abrasive. All the tips on the internet are a million different people telling you to do it a million different ways. I don't know which way is best. (see pictures)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Really? You're wondering how to get the head and block smooth for a head gasket job? .......a machine shop ! Look, the block is iron....have at it with a ScotchBrite on a rotary device. The head is going to the machine shop, really, seriously/

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

Let a machine shop clean all that mess up and deck it. But before they do anything, have them check it for warp. If it is out of their ability to straighten, then you can put in that V-8.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member