Thread: Brake Calipers 101

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible

Brake Calipers 101

Can you guys offer a mini-education on calipers. Im just after reliable stream performance -not track.

There seem to be either Nugeon. OP, etc in the $50 range or Ate, original Bmw. in the $250+ range.

Are these parts that are usually rebuilt rather than replaced? What are other brands that offer a good product at an affordable price?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Why do you need new calipers? If you just want to refresh your existing calipers, rebuild them for very little $ and a bit of work. You can buy caliper rebuild kits which consist of a new internal o-ring and piston boot. It's also recommended you replace your guide pin bushings (and pins if you want) with new OEM parts at the same time. All told, you can do this on all four calipers for probably around $100-125 in parts (plus you'll need some new brake fluid). If you end up needing to replace any pistons, they aren't too expensive either.

If for some reason you need to replace unsalvageable OEM calipers, get either ATE or BMW calipers. You can buy rebuilt ones online for fairly reasonable prices.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You can also send yours out to be rebuilt or buy already rebuilt ones.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Bimmerworld sells nice stainless steel caliper pistons for rebuilds. http://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/Caliper-Parts/
    Stock steel ones tend to get pretty pitted.
    Rebuilding yourself is a PITA if you have not done before. I'd get someone else to do it or buy rebuilt ones.

My Cars
    E36
    I went with Nugeon rebuilds (from Pelican parts)...and they're fine. For $50 I wasn't up for the hassle of rebuilding mine, potentially finding more issues or causing more issues. (I had one sticking).
    Mine did come with the ///M in the casting, so oem castings.

**Note, you do send your cores back, so these are essentially having yours rebuilt for $50**

I also figured if Pelican is selling, with really good service/history, then they can't be that bad. Worst case, they'll work with you. I didn't have to bother...have 50k+ on mine now since
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 04-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
    Bimmerworld sells nice stainless steel caliper pistons for rebuilds. http://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/Caliper-Parts/
    Stock steel ones tend to get pretty pitted.
    Rebuilding yourself is a PITA if you have not done before. I'd get someone else to do it or buy rebuilt ones.
    Rebuild process was not that bad in my view. There are far more difficult and annoying jobs people regularly do on these cars in comparison.

Just buy an extra kit or two, in case you tear the boots, and use a lubricant. Brake fluid is OK if you don't have any paint on your calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    I went with Nugeon rebuilds (from Pelican parts)...and they're fine. For $50 I wasn't up for the hassle of rebuilding mine, potentially finding more issues or causing more issues. (I had one sticking).
    Mine did come with the ///M in the casting, so oem castings.

**Note, you do send your cores back, so these are essentially having yours rebuilt for $50**

I also figured if Pelican is selling, with really good service/history, then they can't be that bad. Worst case, they'll work with you. I didn't have to bother...have 50k+ on mine now since
    Hmm I didn't see your post. $50 is completely worth it in my view, and I take back what I said above. I assume the calipers are cleaned too?
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 04-09-2018 at 11:02 AM.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post

Hmm I didn't see your post. $50 is completely worth it in my view, and I take back what I said above. I assume the calipers are cleaned too?
    Mine looked just like in the pelican ad:
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...SVSI=.htm#tab1

PS no idea why one side is $58 and the other is $46 lol.
    34112227515-M234.jpg
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    What material is best for brake pads? I want decent braking with minimal dust - especially on the front brakes where I'm going with pagid rotors.

What are the differences between semi- metallic and ceramic and others?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    And does one have to replace all brake sensors (4) at the same time? I have a convertible - are the rear sensors a special length/item as suggested by one of the options on rockauto website?

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by jprottas View Post
    And does one have to replace all brake sensors (4) at the same time? I have a convertible - are the rear sensors a special length/item as suggested by one of the options on rockauto website?

I thought there were only two sensors total, front and back?

Check realoem.com to see if there's a difference between front and rear sensors.

By the way, I personally don't suggest changing all 4 brake pads at the same time. Do one axle at a time, since braking for the first 10-20 miles on street pads is pretty terrible. It's pretty unusual to need to change the fronts at exactly the same time as the rears too.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 04-10-2018 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    There are only two brake wear sensors, I think front left and right rear. No need to replace them unless they break. Mine are pretty beat but they still work fine, or at least don't throw any codes. I personally don't care whether or not they actually work since I check my brakes pretty regularly.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    I thought there were only two sensors total, front and back?

Check realoem.com to see if there's a difference between front and rear sensors.

By the way, I personally don't suggest changing all 4 brake pads at the same time. Do one axle at a time, since braking for the first 10-20 miles on street pads is pretty terrible. It's pretty unusual to need to change the fronts at exactly the same time as the rears too.
    Is it ok to use two different branded pads ie akebono on the front, and something like the bosch on the rear?

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by jprottas View Post
    Is it ok to use two different branded pads ie akebono on the front, and something like the bosch on the rear?

It's probably OK for street pads, they're not that vastly different when it comes to initial bite.

Why do you want to do that though? I know both companies offer pads for both axles.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    It's probably OK for street pads, they're not that vastly different when it comes to initial bite.

Why do you want to do that though? I know both companies offer pads for both axles.
    Willing to step up on the front where I get tons of dust...otherwise just trying to save $60. Of the oem pads does any brand have less dust?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    A non OEM ceramic pad is likely to have the least dust.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Probably the last place to save $60 is on the brakes... Just saying.

Anyway. I'd avoid the Hawk HPS pads, I didn't like them at all, They felt very wooden, with very little initial bite.

But pads have probably changed since I've had stock brakes.. (12 years with Wilwood superlites...)
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    Mine looked just like in the pelican ad:
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...SVSI=.htm#tab1

PS no idea why one side is $58 and the other is $46 lol.
    34112227515-M234.jpg
    Wow, those are damn good deal for completely rebuilt with new pistons/seals, and a clean/fresh caliper....I was in the process of rebuilding mine, but may just buy those
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    FYI, if you do buy rebuilt calipers online they'll likely be missing the ///M stamp on them, if you care about such things. One reason why I suggest just rebuilding your calipers unless they are so rusted out as to be unsalvagable.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    FYI, if you do buy rebuilt calipers online they'll likely be missing the ///M stamp on them, if you care about such things. One reason why I suggest just rebuilding your calipers unless they are so rusted out as to be unsalvagable.
    Not true....even the ones from Autozone have the ///M in them
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    Not true....even the ones from Autozone have the ///M in them
    Really? I've heard lots of people say the remanu ATE units you get online at ECS or bimmerworld or wherever while being functionally identical OEM parts, usually don't have the M stamp.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I bought a set of Nugeon remanufactured fronts several years ago. They had the M logo. I'd say the rebuild job was questionable. One caliper had obviously been dropped - the eyelet where the slider pin goes through was deformed and dented in. This worked ok for stock rubber slider boots but didn't work when I changed to brass bushings. I had to grind a flat on one of the bushings to get it to fit through the caliper. Also, the bleeder threads were super loose and sloppy. This made bleeding a pain in the @ss. In short, the quality of reman caliper you receive depends in large part on the quality of core unit they start with. It can be a crapshoot. I've experienced this with reman alternators too. Knowing what I know now I always buy new stuff.