Thread: Chattery Engine after Oil Change

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

Chattery Engine after Oil Change

Hi all, 1995 525i 5 SPD

I recently changed the oil in my E34. I was using 15w40 during the winter, here in upstate NY. Now that it is so called Spring, I changed the oil to 5w30. Now the engine is so chattery. You can hear the lifters when the oil is warmed up. I don't use synthetic because the engine has 276,600 miles and has been running fine on conventional oil. I used Rotella 15w40 and now I'm using Castrol 5w30.
    I want to change my oil but, not sure what to get. The chattering is annoying and it worries me driving 60 miles a day with the chattering.
    I would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me what oil to use, given the mileage and where I live. Or, is it something else that's causing the chattering?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    E34 525i
    I had similar issue runing mobil 0-40, switched back to rotella 5-40 and it went away. Synthetic is fine.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Po of my 525i told me he had very good luck using high mileage engine oil and 10w-30. It has worked good for me as well.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Thanks for the quick responses. I'm going to replace the spark plugs and coil packs but, not sure which spark plugs to buy.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by drewusmaximus View Post
    Hi all, 1995 525i 5 SPD

I recently changed the oil in my E34. I was using 15w40 during the winter, here in upstate NY. Now that it is so called Spring, I changed the oil to 5w30. Now the engine is so chattery. You can hear the lifters when the oil is warmed up. I don't use synthetic because the engine has 276,600 miles and has been running fine on conventional oil. I used Rotella 15w40 and now I'm using Castrol 5w30.
    I want to change my oil but, not sure what to get. The chattering is annoying and it worries me driving 60 miles a day with the chattering.
    I would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me what oil to use, given the mileage and where I live. Or, is it something else that's causing the chattering?

Thanks in advance!
    I have to ask why you were running 15w-40 during the winter in a place like up state New York? I personally run 5w-40 on my 525, and I would be a little worried about oil starvation during cold starts with such a high (15w) rating.

My car has 209k and I don't have much lifter/valvetrain noise. I run synthetic oil but I have been in the habit of using higher zinc content oil, such as Motul 8100. It's hard to say what could be the real issue without knowing if the car is burning oil or what a compression or leak down test has to say.

Personally I would look into doing leak down test and perhaps shelling out for an oil analysis to make sure everything is in working order.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    Why would you run heavy in the winter and light in the summer? That’s backwards. Change back to a 40 weight to see if the noise is not as pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject
    08 Saab 9-3 in Oxford Green

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    It was recommended to use Rotella 15w40 last year. Basically, I'm better off using Mobil1 0W40?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525iT
    It was recommended to use Rotella 15w40 last year. Basically, I'm better off using Mobil1 0W40?
    You should be running what the service manual recommends for the operating temperatures your car lives in.

Here's a picture of the recommended ranges from the Bentley manual.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Thank you very much! So, using 15W40 was fine throughout the winter. So I will stick with 15w40 for the summer as well.Thanks a bunch!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525iT
    Thank you very much! So, using 15W40 was fine throughout the winter. So I will stick with 15w40 for the summer as well.Thanks a bunch!
    Personally, I would run something like a 5w-30/40 in the winter if you are experiencing negative or near negative temperatures. 0w40 and the like didn't really exist when these cars where built and are really made for the tight tolerences of modern engines and to help with fuel efficiency.

If you want to know why, put a quart of 15w in the freezer for a few hours and then pour it out. It will pour like molasses. If the car is a daily driver then 10w40 is probably as heavy a weight as you should need. But 15w-40 is within spec for above freezing temperatures.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEKTI View Post
    Why would you run heavy in the winter and light in the summer? That’s backwards. Change back to a 40 weight to see if the noise is not as pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This is correct. You are running too heavy for winter. And too light now. 10w-30/40 seems to be fine year round.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    These are noisy motors, I can see people in cold climates wanting a 10W, but in summer no need to go below a 15W or 20W. (I prefer 20W-50 for my 43C summers)

Like others said, you went backwards/the wrong way round in your winter and summer oil choices.
    Last edited by fo3; 04-09-2018 at 08:23 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Dump a can of STP or similar into the crankcase, it'll pick up the viscosity until your next change.
    Personally, I wouldn't use oil with a 0 or 5 bottom number unless it were below zero.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Ok. So 10w40 is the way I should go. It's odd that I was recommended 15w40 and now I'm told it was the wrong weight to use. Thanks all!!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Update: I replaced the spark plugs with the NGK Br6 plugs and now the chattering stopped! The engine is nice and quiet. At first I thought it could've been the vanos but, it wasn't a rattle sound I was hearing. It was ticking in different areas, as if the cylinders weren't behaving correctly. So, I replaced the spark plugs and oh boy.. The 6th cylinder plug diode was gunked with oil. There was oil in the spark plug hole and the coil pack rubber. Plugs 4, 5 and 6 were gunked up and the plug holes had a little oil but, plug hole 6 had a lot of oil. Time for a VCG replacement. The engine is purring now, rides much better but, I know it's a matter of time before the oil gets in those holes again. I ordered a Victor VCG with the plug hole gaskets. After install I will drive 1000 miles and check the plugs again in hopes the piston rings are not worn. holes 1,2 and 3 were dry and I think it didn't help that the spark plugs weren't changed since I owned the car.. I'm just too busy but, I need to make time to maintain her since it's my daily and I drive 60 miles a day at 278k miles on the clock. It's been 300 miles since the plug replacement and the engine is running great.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Update: I replaced the spark plugs with the NGK Br6 plugs and now the chattering stopped! The engine is nice and quiet. At first I thought it could've been the vanos but, it wasn't a rattle sound I was hearing. It was ticking in different areas, as if the cylinders weren't behaving correctly. So, I replaced the spark plugs and oh boy.. The 6th cylinder plug diode was gunked with oil. There was oil in the spark plug hole and the coil pack rubber. Plugs 4, 5 and 6 were gunked up and the plug holes had a little oil but, plug hole 6 had a lot of oil. Time for a VCG replacement. The engine is purring now, rides much better but, I know it's a matter of time before the oil gets in those holes again. I ordered a Victor VCG with the plug hole gaskets. After install I will drive 1000 miles and check the plugs again in hopes the piston rings are not worn. holes 1,2 and 3 were dry and I think it didn't help that the spark plugs weren't changed since I owned the car.. I'm just too busy but, I need to make time to maintain her since it's my daily and I drive 60 miles a day at 278k miles on the clock. It's been 300 miles since the plug replacement and the engine is running great.