Thread: Getting new Grille: Amazon/aftermarket has them for half the price. Yay or Nay???

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3

Getting new Grille: Amazon/aftermarket has them for half the price. Yay or Nay???

Recently got an X3 and do not like the chrome grille. As such, I'm buying a new one. A genuine BMW grille is approximately $130. However, I have found an aftermarket grille on Amazon for half that price. LINK

There are no reviews so I have no idea about the quality or looks. Are there any aftermarket grilles that people here endorse? If I go with BMW, all they make is glossy black and I was leaning towards a matte black or graphite. But if staying genuine BMW is the way to go, then I'm fine with the glossy black.

Also, what should I do about installation?

Thanks,
    NOOBIE GINA

My Cars
    M235 | M3 | 325Ci
    I can't recommend any aftermarket X3 grills to you, but I would say go for it. The seller has good reviews, they have a bunch of other aftermarket parts with good reviews, and if you are not happy with the fitment of them, send them back. Just be careful on install not to break anything. As for install, search YouTube for 'BMW kidney grill install X3' or something similar, you should find a bunch of help. Just watch a couple different videos, so you get a couple different tips on how to do this, it's very easy.

I put some aftermarket mirror caps on my M235 the other day, and was very happy with the fitment, and the look.

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by skyotee View Post
    I can't recommend any aftermarket X3 grills to you, but I would say go for it. The seller has good reviews, they have a bunch of other aftermarket parts with good reviews, and if you are not happy with the fitment of them, send them back. Just be careful on install not to break anything. As for install, search YouTube for 'BMW kidney grill install X3' or something similar, you should find a bunch of help. Just watch a couple different videos, so you get a couple different tips on how to do this, it's very easy.

I put some aftermarket mirror caps on my M235 the other day, and was very happy with the fitment, and the look.
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't see feedback for the seller initially, but that was for that particular grille. You are right, they have very good feedback (w/ other products) and I feel fine about going with them now.

I also noticed they have a matte black grille, which I initially wanted. What's interesting however, is that it has 12 slats in each kidney, whereas the glossy black has only 7 (wider profile).

So I have no idea which look I'd prefer. Are there pics somewhere online that show the difference in grilles? Thanks!

My Cars
    M235 | M3 | 325Ci
    Do a Google on "bmw x3 matte black grill" and then click on images, for the image search. On the X3/X5 most of the grills are of the wider 7 slat variety, mostly the tighter 12 slat type you see mostly on cars. I think the wider 7 slat goes better with an SUV, personally. I also kind of like the gloss black. If you get the gloss black ones, you could always try plastidipping the original ones you take out matte black!

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    Okay I definitely like the wider slats better. More slats makes it look too "busy" or crowded for my liking. And you're right, especially for an SUV/crossover.

I'm not sure what plastidipping costs but it can't be much less than these aftermarket bumpers are going for, which is about 60 bucks is all.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Check out Turner Motorsports. They carry matte black grills. They're a bit more pricey than the one's you linked on Amazon, as they are around $110. I'm going to get some for my E39 later this month. They look so much better than the stock chrome grills, especially on a black sport model.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...f25-x3-f26-x4/
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    Good site, thanks! I don't mind paying more, just want the right one. My X3 is white and almost all the trim is black. Interior is also black. Even around the windows, the molding/plastic is black, not chrome. The only chrome is the grille and it simply doesn't go with the rest of the car.

The only question now is whether I go with matte black or glossy. I have no idea. BTW, wheels are not black, if that helps. They are the M/performance package rims and I like them.