Thread: 7/91 850 with weird ABS light issues

My Cars
    1990 Bmw 325i S50

7/91 850 with weird ABS light issues

Working on this E31, Trying to put it back together after it was pretty torn apart. I have an ABS light. This has the regular abs/asc system, without the additional pump near the brake booster.
    I came to the conclusion that this system only offers flash codes, which are accessed by holding the brake pedal and the asc button while turning on the ignition.
    I pulled flash code #2.
    this code has to do with the circuit between the EML and ASC. I also scanned the EML with a Modic2 and found a fault for pin 4 on the eml, which is the signal from the asc to decrease throttle.

Messed around a little, checked the continuity of that line, and it was ok, cleared the fault, and drove the car a few times.. the abs light comes back on and when I try to get flash codes, the light just comes on once and doesnt display any codes.

Ive found this, which seems to be my exact situation :

MODELS AFFECTED:

5 Series(E34), 7 series(E32), 8 series(E31) all equipped with ACS.
    FAULT:

Under certain specific conditions an apparent engine misfire or bucking may occur. This is not an engine misfire.
    CAUSE:

Short (less than 100 milliseconds) fuel injection cut-off, as a result of MSR (engine drag torque control) regulation. This is a normal ASC function that may occur under these conditions: -The vehicle is equipped with ASC -Vehicle speed between 45 and 60 MPH -A rough road surface (e.g. potholes, railroad tracks) -Light throttle(accelerator pedal only depressed 1/8) -ASC not switched off.
    SOLUTION:

Replace the ASC control unit. no further diagnosis of the ABS/ASC system should be necessary.

http://www.bba-reman.com/us/content/...w_abs_problems

Has anyone dealt with this issue? If so, where did this text come from? Its an old sib or what? I cant find it on centernet (we are an aftermarket bmw shop and have access to centernet/dcs etc)
    Certified BMW tech

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    I can't help much - but Error code 2 is slightly expanded on the tables from Carsoft:

Error Code 2: EML-Interface fault Please check the connecting lines from PIN 6,8 and 14 to the EML. If you
    cannot find a fault, reset the fault accumulator. Please effect a
    diagnostic at the EGS
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1990 Bmw 325i S50
    Yeah the fault, over in the EML (F/C 7) specified that it was pin 4 on the eml, which is the throttle reduction signal. SO with that being said, you would think the ASC wouldnt work, but I took the car outside and brake torqued it in a sandy area in the parking lot, and the throttle was reduced, like it should be. IF I turned off the asc, the wheels would spin. The system is all working like it should be, but its throwing an erroneous fault, I guess. I think this thing needs a new ASC/ABS module
    Certified BMW tech

My Cars
    1995 740iL, 1995 850ciA
    Quote Originally Posted by StickSeven View Post
    Yeah the fault, over in the EML (F/C 7) specified that it was pin 4 on the eml, which is the throttle reduction signal. SO with that being said, you would think the ASC wouldnt work, but I took the car outside and brake torqued it in a sandy area in the parking lot, and the throttle was reduced, like it should be. IF I turned off the asc, the wheels would spin. The system is all working like it should be, but its throwing an erroneous fault, I guess. I think this thing needs a new ASC/ABS module
    The ASC function uses accelerometers to make decisions. ABS uses the 4 pulse sensors at the wheels for input.

To check ASC find some empty black top, hose it down with water. Turn sharply, ASC will try not to allow the car (throttle reduction) to fish tail on the wet black top. ASC will flash the exclamation point triangle between the tach and speedo when intervening.

ABS will activate when stopping straight and partially locking up the brakes. ABS pulses the hydraulic brake lines to reduce caliper force.
    Last edited by CDO5OO1A; 04-09-2018 at 08:18 PM.

My Cars
    1995 740iL, 1995 850ciA
    Quote Originally Posted by StickSeven View Post
    Working on this E31, Trying to put it back together after it was pretty torn apart.
    I have an ABS light. ...
    ... Has anyone dealt with this issue?
    If so, where did this text come from? Its an old sib or what? I cant find it on centernet (we are an aftermarket bmw shop and have access to centernet/dcs etc)
    Torn apart?

Check to see that the ASC system is present and connected and that the wiring to it is not damaged somewhere. ASC system (physical inspection)

Use a scanner to see that you are getting constant signals from all four wheel pulse sensors. ABS system. (do this while driving car.)

You'll need a particular scanning system (I forget which one does that) to access and clear fault codes in the ABS system.
    Last edited by CDO5OO1A; 04-09-2018 at 08:55 PM.

My Cars
    1990 Bmw 325i S50
    thats the very problem. this car is a transitional year where diagnosis is spotty. the autologic wont connect to abs at all, our modic2 wont connect to it, either. the system uses flash codes with a flow chart diagnosis sort-of setup in the original BMW repair manual. Like I already said, I activated the ASC by trying to do a "burnout" in the sandy parking lot, and it intervened and shut down throttle, even though the fault was telling me that the circuit for decreasing throttle was faulty.
    this is why im leaning toward a bad abs/asc module.
    You are thinking of ASC-T, I think. this system ONLY intervenes by altering the engine rpms when it detects slip (which it uses the abs sensor to determine)
    Certified BMW tech