Thread: EBay sale fiasco!

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i

EBay sale fiasco!

Recently, I decided to put my C33 radio on Ebay to help fund my engine repairs. (Can do without radio, can't do without radiator! ) This turned into a mess...

I had taken pictures of all sides of the radio, in addition to it asking for the CODE and an image of it un locked. The radio sold the same day it was posted. Shipped the next day.

A week later I get a msg that the buyer is having problems with it. "Won't power on." Odd, it did the day before it left. I ask him to diag as few things, but the answer is my other radio works fine. Ok, return it.

Meanwhile, Ebay has locked the funds until buyer is satisfied. I'm now paying for return shipping. Oh well, I'll eat it. I can always use the radio later.

Get it back. Plug it in, and all I get is the blinking red led. No response to the power switch. Nothing displayed. So I think I should check the connections internally. I do find that the faceplate is looser than I remember...

Open it up. All looks good... wait ... I'm missing a screw! Look more, I'm missing several screws! It appears that the mounting hardware for the LCD / power switch portion is gone. WTH!

Of course, I can't prove it was modified. I didn't tamper seal the unit prior to sale. I'm thinking I just got screwed. Ruined radio, and out shipping both ways.

Ebay to the rescue! I call them. Explain all aspects of situation. Tell then I can't prove it has been altered. Ask what are my options? They respond that Ebay will handle this from this point forward. That I'm not responsible to return the buyer's money, and my funds will be released within 48 hours. Way to go Ebay! (Might have something to do with the fact that I've been buying / selling on there for 15 years!)

Thought some of you would appreciate a Ebay sale gone bad that had a good resolution.

James

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    I’ve had some more minor issues the the past too. Like buyers says something wasn’t good but then refusing to return it even if I paid shipping? There’s a lot of scamming out there sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36
    wow! Scamming for such a odd/old C33 radio...what a crack.

Glad ebay's got you covered! I've had good luck with them and paypal also, just hope you don't get junk feedback.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    325is
    Was it your serial number?

Or did they just want the part and swapped it hoping you would think it broke on shipment?

I think there is a fix on the internet for the display light when it is broken

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post
    Was it your serial number?

Or did they just want the part and swapped it hoping you would think it broke on shipment?

I think there is a fix on the internet for the display light when it is broken
    Yes, serial numbers checked out. But it appears that the front portion with the display & power / volume was removed.

I suspect you're right on the money. If they would have replaced all the screws, I probably would have thought exactly that.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Wat the actual F.

Someone restoring a '90s BMW needed to repair the radio so they bought yours, took out the components they needed, and returned it to you. What an absolute scumbag!

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post
    Wat the actual F.

Someone restoring a '90s BMW needed to repair the radio so they bought yours, took out the components they needed, and returned it to you. What an absolute scumbag!
    That's what it appears like. Now to find a C33 with a power supply issue cheap!

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Update - Ebay followed thru and resolved the $$$ issues. Have to admit I was surprised. In the meanwhile, found a seller on ebay offering a C33 with no illumination or button lights for $30. They even included the pigtails & antenna leads!

Followed the thread on repairing the lighting by resoldering the two resistors, and we're back in business! Found that resoldering a cut antenna is fragile, but not impossible.

I think I'll keep this one...

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Unbelievable...well, okay maybe not but just wow. Guy has too much time on his hands. Good to hear it worked out though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk