BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: e39 528iT M-sport, 230k

My Cars
    e39 528iT, C7 A6 3.0T

e39 528iT M-sport, 230k

After 12 years I think the time has come for me to let go of my touring. Fantastic car that j love, but the bottom line is that something this old takes a bit of hands on maintenance and care that I just can't provide right now. Rather than see it decay I'd just as soon someone took it off my hands. That said, if I get nothing but super low balls (and there's chance that's what the market will bear) then I'll just keep it and store it off-street. So this advert is equal parts apsales and fact finding.

So here goes. Car is a 1999 528iT with 230k miles. I bought it from the second owner 12 years ago. It was first a lease and then a CPO. For the time that I've owned it, it's received a combination of my work (brakes and the like) and two qualified indies - RRT outside of DC and Minhs in Brooklyn. It's pointless to go over everything that's been fine, but to recount the past 2 years:

- shocks (Kong sports x4), ac compressor, water pump, ps pump, valve cover gaskets, plugs, oil filter housing, ps hoses, tie rods, exhaust brackets. Frankly I feel like there's plenty more (and I've got receipts for all this stuff), but that's just off the top of my head.

I'll get to what's wrong with the car, but first, mods. Plenty of mods.

- m-sport front and rear bumpers, euro clear corner Hella angle eye headlights, 18" staggered style 42 wheels (refinished - again with receipts - last summe), supersprint exhaust, rear liftgate spoiler, grey interior trim. Mkiv Naveen w 16:9 screen, aforementioned Konis, and a while bunch of small stuff.

Ok, so the bad. I'm going to go ahead and list all this stuff out in the interest of transparency. Ultimately, if a car that is running spectacularly well but has too many small niggles for someone in my circumstances is only worth $2k then I'll keep it and hope my **** changes. Here goes:

- rear liftgate shocks are ****.
    - there's a dent in the drivers side wheel well (got bumped in traffic but the police showed up so late that "no one" was at fault.
    - window regulators are iffy
    - rear bumper has chips
    - I guarantee there's some thrust or c8ntrol arm bushing **** in the next 1.5 years
    - brake wear indicators randomly c9mes on, but's to not because of the lads - it's tied up and hanging in a caliper but still sometimes shorting.

Pics attached, showing both winter and summer wheels. I'd like to get $4k with both, or $3.5k with just winter wheels. Tell me if that'd nuts (if ti's way off I'll just keep it, if it's kind of off then happy to make a deal). More recent photos are with winter wheels currently on the car, pics with summer wheels are from September 2017.
    Last edited by jss; 05-03-2018 at 03:45 PM.

My Cars
    Not sure
    Any bigger pictures?

Any rust bubbles or anything??

My Cars
    E39
    the last 4 pics cant be viewed larger. can you PM me a link to bigger pics? thanks.

My Cars
    e39 528iT, C7 A6 3.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Any bigger pictures?

Any rust bubbles or anything??
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmatics View Post
    the last 4 pics cant be viewed larger. can you PM me a link to bigger pics? thanks.
    Only rust bubble on the liftgate, other than that body is clean.

Happy to text full-size photos - PM me with your number and I'll do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump here as well - I'm taking delivery of a new ride this weekend and really don't want to have two cars to mind (one in Brooklyn is a big enough pain in the ass). I'll drop to $3,200 with both sets of wheels.

My Cars
    e34 m5, touring; e46 (x2
    Is the car in Brooklyn or D.C.?

My Cars
    e39 528iT, C7 A6 3.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelhill View Post
    Is the car in Brooklyn or D.C.?
    Looks like i need to update my profile settings here. Car is in Brooklyn (I moved here from DC two years ago) - happy to meet anyone from DC or elsewhere in the NEC halfway if interested.

My Cars
    e39 528iT, C7 A6 3.0T
    Updating this post both with new pics and also with a new price. Looking at some other e39 wagons on this board I think that the $4k mark may have been a bit high, especially after realizing that the summer tires are a bit shot and could use replacing. I'm seeing some other wagons on here with similar miles and condition, but probably a bit less comprehensively maintained (we're talking around $14k at Minh's in Brooklyn over the past three years) and with less cool options/mods for $2200-2800, so I'll price mine accordingly at $2400.

I really think that who's a hands-on e39 owner (which at this point is more or less all e39 owners) and wants a well-tuned, well-maintained car that drives fantastically and has had the overwhelming majority of the heavy lifting done maintenance-wise, this car is a deal that can't be beat. Happy to entertain reasonable offers (although how much can one really bargain on a $2k car?) as I'd prefer not to renew the registration when it's up next month. As noted above, I'm in Brooklyn but the car's currently being kept by a friend and fellow prop-head in North Jersey.

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

My Cars
    e39 528iT, C7 A6 3.0T

My Cars
    e39 528iT, C7 A6 3.0T

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525iT
    How's the undercarriage / engine compartment as far as corrosion?

My Cars
    e39 528iT, C7 A6 3.0T
    I've never had rust issues, apart from a bit of bubbling on the rear liftgate.

My Cars
    e39 528iT, C7 A6 3.0T

My Cars
    2000 323iT
    Let me know if you want to part it out