Thread: CCV replacement article DIY

My Cars
    a farm full

CCV replacement article DIY

First time doing this job and after searching about a week ago (before I had parts) I found a link to a well documented DIY with pictures but I think it was from another club's site. I've searched for an hour and can't find that link. Struggling with trying to get the dipstick tube out and the Pelican parts DIY just says " now pull the dipstick tube out". It's an '04 325xiT with auto. Beginning to think I should have followed the advice I saw about pulling the intake....

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    At what point in the job are you? I did the CCV replacement job 3x on my departed 3001 330Ci. I can help you.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Last time I did one on our E46 it was very tough. The E39 had more space so wasn't as bad. I spoke with the dealer tech about how they do the job along with a quote as I was curious what they charge, and they confirmed they remove the intake manifold. Total with parts and labor is over $1000

My Cars
    a farm full
    I found a pretty good two part video on youtube (about 10 min. each) that showed more steps than the Pelican article and I've managed to remove most everything except the actual ccv valve and yes it's been a challenge. The lower intake boot clamps were on facing the ground which made me curse a little and actually pulling the dipstick tube required removing the large plastic circle clip as it just wouldn't clear the coolant hoses on the inner fender. I can see that this car already has a cold weather type CCV so it looks like a snug fit...tomorrow the fun continues....
    Here is the first part and the link to the second is in the text below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwVe0NAcZs

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    I did my CCV about a year ago on an M54. I did it by pulling the intake and after doing so, would never consider doing it any other way. There's lots of gaskets, o-rings, seals, vacuum hoses, vacuum caps and coolant hoses/pipes that can be easily accessed with the intake removed all of which need to be examined closely and replaced if necessary. And yes...the dipstick is somewhat of a challenge any way you look at it. The overall project sounds daunting, but not near as bad as I feared it would be.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2005 325xi
    The best video currently out there is by the 50sKid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDP8Dma0nUs

He has both a long and short method for this.

My Cars
    a farm full
    After examining the parts and realizing the old CCV valve was enclosed in a foam sleeping bag which I could remove and transfer to the new valve and which was likely part of a cold weather package, I've come to the conclusion that getting the upper hose to turn and connect to the valve is going to be a frustrating and potentially impossible option and so I'm pulling the manifold. At this point I'm more than half way there and considering I'm working in an unheated garage at freezing temps the risk of breaking plastic hose connections seems too great.....I wouldn't call it the job from hell but it will be down the fun list quite a ways....