Thread: E39 Propeller/Drive Shaft CV Joint Boot fix

My Cars
    BMW-1992 535i/2003 525i

E39 Propeller/Drive Shaft CV Joint Boot fix

Hello. I’m new to this forum, this is my first post. Just something I wanted to share because while replacing the transmission on my 2003 525i, I noticed the boot on the rear of the driveshaft at the cv joint had split & lost all the grease. I didn’t want to replace the joint because it had not worn yet, but I couldn’t find a replacement boot for the e39. I did however, while searching find a replacement boot for an e34. I ordered it and as is turns out, the two appear to be identical. I separated the old boot by carefully cutting a slit in each side with a Dremel & tapping it off at the edge with a flattened chisel. After that it was simply a matter of cleaning off the old grease, installing new gaskets and reinstalling the boot onto the joint. I also installed a new c clip & new clamp from the dealer. Long story short, if you need a boot for your e39 525i driveshaft, try the boot for an e34.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    - Thanks for sharing E34 trick! Nice...

- Now, this gives me an idea to grease my E53 2006 X5 rear CV joint (it makes the clanking noise).
    I wrote it up below, but it still makes the clanking noise simply b/c I could not get enough grease to the area below the rubber boot itself.
    For the X5, I wonder if I should drill a tiny hole right underneath where the half-moon plate (that connects 2 bolts together), inject grease (using my syringe and needle combo), then re-install the half-moon plate to seal it.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...imple-way.html

E39-Rear-CVJ.jpg
    Last edited by cnn; 04-02-2018 at 09:26 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    New idea just came up: instead of drilling a hole as mentioned above, I am thinking...

1. Remove both bolts and the half-moon plate.

2. Use a very small screwdriver (like jewellery screwdriver etc.), gently lift the corner up a tiny bit, just enough for a grease needle to get it and patiently inject grease...LOL.

What do you guys think (YELLOW arrow is what I am thinking)...

E39-Rear-CVJ.jpg

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Looks like a good idea, except it seems like you may damage the gator while drilling.

I may be wrong.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    New idea just came up: instead of drilling a hole as mentioned above, I am thinking...

2. Use a very small screwdriver (like jewellery screwdriver etc.), gently lift the corner up a tiny bit, just enough for a grease needle to get it and patiently inject grease...LOL.

E39-Rear-CVJ.jpg

Did you replace the boot in your DIY ?
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=9694934
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 04-03-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    BMW-1992 535i/2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post

E39-Rear-CVJ.jpg

the arrows you’ve got there look like about exactly where the gasket sits, and may be outside the greased area. So far as lifting the edge of the metal
    part of the boot, mine was a very tight fit. I had to cut it to get it to slide off, and seat the new one with a vice. I’m not certain you’d be able to slide it off with ease. I’d separate the clamp from the rubber boot at the shaft and inject grease direct, then re clamp it. The factory clamp is a strap that wraps around and folds through itself, so you should be able to get a new one from the dealer. I’d get two, my first one broke,
    Last edited by jukows; 04-08-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Typo

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    jukows,

- I already thought about "sneaking under the rubber boot to inject grease", but:

1. In my 2006 X5, there is a heat shield. I can remove the heat shield to get access to the rubber boot, but...

2. The clamp you referred to is called "Oetiker" clamp. Once the clamp is off, the problem is: how to get a right-angle
    needle long enough to get all the way down to inject grease.

This is why I came up with the idea of "lifting the metal plate a bit and inject grease". I will try this next weekend and report back.

- This is the photo of the X5 CV joint and you can see how difficult it is to inject grease under the rubber boot!

E53-CV.jpg

My Cars
    2003 525i
    One idea regarding the "right-angle needle" idea...how about modifying a linear pull brake "noodle" and injecting grease through that?

http://a.co/di5cqTT