Hello Experts,

This is my first post even though I come here very often whenever an issue crop up in my x3. I have an x3 2013 with 88k miles on it. I am in a dilemma whether to sell it or to keep it. Have read numerous posts about the high maintenance costs likely to happen at these miles.

I didn't have any serious issues till 80k. (I bought it pre-owned when it had 55k miles on it). Had to do the regular maintenance stuff like tires, wheel bearings and brake pads. 2 months back I got a Drive Train Malfunction and I took it to BMW service center for inspection. They identified a faulty pressure converter and fixed it for some 500 bucks. They recommended some other stuff like front bushings which I took care of from my trusted mechanic. (I always go to this guy to do things like oil change and other routine maintenance.)..Last week my x3 lost the power completely and resisted to accelerate. Immediately Drive Train Malfunction warning popped up. I managed to reach home which was some 2 miles away. The warning went went away after few hours, but I kept getting a burning smell from the heat vents. I took it for an inspection and they came back saying there is a multitude of issues to be fixed including an engine rebuild and it's not worth to keeping the car. They gave me a quote of some 24k usd which included to fix things like,
1)Vaccum pump: Leaking oil into pressure converter for waste gate.
2)Module Reprogramming: As per ista test plan/ and si b12 36 15.
3)Transmission oil cooler: Heat exchanger mounted to radiator shroud.T-stat stuck open.
4)Battery replacement
5) valve cover replacement replacement: leaking oil causing burning smell.
6)tail light unit: rh side rear on hatch.inop.leds are out.
7)sine alarm siren.internal battery is setting faults.
8)Front brake pads and rotors replacement.
Engine rebuild was the one quoted for 17k which they didn't mention here.

Now I showed this to my mechanic and he said he can take care of points 1-8 for some 3.2k usd including timing chain. He says he is not finding any issue with the engine and it appears butter smooth to him. According to him these are regular things that crop up at this stage and should be good to drive for another 20k miles without any issues after which suspension and other things need to be taken care of.

Now I am confused if I need to fix it for 3.2k and keep it optimistically or sell it. Kbb says a value of 7k but yet to take it to a dealer to know what it's worth for. Is 3.2 k a reasonable quote to fix these things? What I am concerned is even if I fix these things what is the assurance that I should be good to drive for another 20k.

Secondly I need to move to canada for a year or so. My initial plan was to take it there and drive over there (heard cars are very expensive over there). But I am bit hesistant to do so now after the recent inspection.

What do you guys advice? Reason I have a second thought is I love my car..Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance..Appreciate your valuable comments.

-Andy