Thread: n00b help: program replacement E66 ASK unit?

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750Li, 2006 X5

n00b help: program replacement E66 ASK unit?

First of all - thanks so much for all the information on this site - I've been a long time lurker and it's helped me more than I can say.

Just acquired a 2006 E66 750Li, and I'm working through the various issues-- but this one is confusing me big time.

So the audio system is a mess. Only the right front speaker works up front and couple of the rear speakers work occasionally. So I've learned the system is split between the ASK up front and the Logic7 amp in the back.

I have a used ASK unit out of a 2007 E66 that I'm trying to install. My understanding is this unit will need to be programmed with my VIN and possibly coded in order to work. When it plug it in, it lights up and everything but there is no audio from the radio, etc. The seller claims it was tested fully and had no audio issues.

So.. a while ago I also purchased the K+DCAN cable and have the software for INPA, Tool32, NCS Expert, WinKFP etc. loaded on my laptop and was able to connect to the vehicle successfully and read modules.

Question is: I've read many upon many of posts about coding modules and VINs. None of them seem to refer to the ASK module specifically. Can someone help point me in the right direction of where to start so I can program the module (if indeed it needs programming)? Which tool is best to use?

With humble thanks....

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750Li, 2006 X5
    Well I did end up figuring this out on my own. I was able to use NCS Expert to do the coding. Took me a while to figure out, but it did work. Unfortunately after coding, the audio came on, but still only the right side speakers would work. I then of course questioned my entire diagnosis and tested the speakers and wires, etc. As it turns out the second ASK unit from eBay was bad with exactly the same problem. I finally just decided to have one rebuilt and now all is well. Of course after that happened, I started getting all sorts of other strange electrical issues - come to find out my alternator was bad (that was a fun job!) and previous owner put the wrong battery in the car (lead acid where it called for AGM). Put in new AGM battery and programmed it, replaced alternator. Everything good... for now!

My Cars
    BMW 750LI
    Quote Originally Posted by backyardmekanix View Post
    Well I did end up figuring this out on my own. I was able to use NCS Expert to do the coding. Took me a while to figure out, but it did work. Unfortunately after coding, the audio came on, but still only the right side speakers would work. I then of course questioned my entire diagnosis and tested the speakers and wires, etc. As it turns out the second ASK unit from eBay was bad with exactly the same problem. I finally just decided to have one rebuilt and now all is well. Of course after that happened, I started getting all sorts of other strange electrical issues - come to find out my alternator was bad (that was a fun job!) and previous owner put the wrong battery in the car (lead acid where it called for AGM). Put in new AGM battery and programmed it, replaced alternator. Everything good... for now!
    can you please help me with instructions on how you reprogrammed your ASK unit and also your new battery? I have installed all the software but not sure how to go about the programming. Thanks

My Cars
    BMW 760Li
    I have a 2005 Japanese import E66 760Li

I am having the same problem. Trying to get an ASK unit working which I know was added by the previous owner. The MMI still thinks an MD unit is connected. I am also adding an Ipod kit where the CDC was. Any help to the coding details required would be a godsend. Thanks