RM European Auto Parts
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 will not start please help

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Initial start is not dependent on MAF signal (fueling is a set value for cranking), so it should start and then die if there was a massive vacuum leak.
    That's pretty much what it did. And I'm sorry it took 3 tries to get it started (motor struggled to stay on then choked). On the 3rd try it ran for a few minutes to then died on its own.

Now it just cranks but won't turn over. I will smoke test again and check fuel pressure this weekend. I will most likely take apart the front end as I want to do the power steering pump this weekend anyway and hopefully find the other issue.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Buy a can of MAF cleaner, or electrical contact cleaner, and have someone spray it into the intake somewhere after the filter box, while you crank the starter. If it starts and runs until you stop spraying, you're not getting fuel.

Isn't there a Schrader valve on your fuel rail? Is it under high pressure?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Buy a can of MAF cleaner, or electrical contact cleaner, and have someone spray it into the intake somewhere after the filter box, while you crank the starter. If it starts and runs until you stop spraying, you're not getting fuel.

Isn't there a Schrader valve on your fuel rail? Is it under high pressure?
    Ok Ill try that today thank you! I did not see a Schrader Valve on the fuel rail. I see one for the AC. I will take a closer look when I get home.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Damn, looking at the parts diagram at realoem, I don't see a schrader valve on the rail. Wonder what BMW was thinking? It's on a regular E46 with M54..... Oh well, try the spray.....

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    I am sorry to have only questions to offer but here they are:
    - have you tried to re-scan the car (even with the basic tool) after the steps you have taken since your first post (to narrow down the issue) ?
    - have you looked into "P1434 - Diagnostic module tank leakage malfunction"? I mean if there is some kind of safety feature that cuts off fuel in case of a fuel tank leakage, it could explain all the rich/lean codes couldn't it? Also if there is a leakage it means that air gets into the system, which could explain the contradictory codes, as if the fuel injection lines are getting messed up by the air, throughout the system? Maybe there is no leak but the DMT is shot and keeps triggering fault codes randomly --> preventing the fuel injection from being done steadily?

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze1 View Post
    I am sorry to have only questions to offer but here they are:
    - have you tried to re-scan the car (even with the basic tool) after the steps you have taken since your first post (to narrow down the issue) ?
    - have you looked into "P1434 - Diagnostic module tank leakage malfunction"? I mean if there is some kind of safety feature that cuts off fuel in case of a fuel tank leakage, it could explain all the rich/lean codes couldn't it? Also if there is a leakage it means that air gets into the system, which could explain the contradictory codes, as if the fuel injection lines are getting messed up by the air, throughout the system? Maybe there is no leak but the DMT is shot and keeps triggering fault codes randomly --> preventing the fuel injection from being done steadily?

You may be on to something here but I do not smell fuel nor see any drip spots. But, I will take a closer look into it. Thank you for that!

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by DugiHowser View Post
    You may be on to something here but I do not smell fuel nor see any drip spots. But, I will take a closer look into it. Thank you for that!
    You're welcome, I hate to see a bimmer down lol.

Based on the name assigned to the error code, I'm thinking it's either the fuel tank itself (or more probably one of its valves, hoses, vents...), in which case you won't necessarily smell anything if it's a small leak, located somwhere under the backseat, or the diagnostic module, and in that case there wouldn't be a leak but it would be acting like there is one.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0372

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0912

And while we're at it, just in case:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0908

Good luck.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    You're welcome, I hate to see a bimmer down lol.

Based on the name assigned to the error code, I'm thinking it's either the fuel tank itself (or more probably one of its valves, hoses, vents...), in which case you won't necessarily smell anything if it's a small leak, located somwhere under the backseat, or the diagnostic module, and in that case there wouldn't be a leak but it would be acting like there is one.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0372

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0912

And while we're at it, just in case:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0908

Good luck.
    Thanks for the help! You know now that gets me thinking.. Because when I got my fuel pump done by a friend I noticed the leveler was off. Wonder if its possible that affects anything or if possibly a line was pinched etc.. Either way I look into it asap!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Pay careful attention to that third diagram,
    In addition to those hoses, make sure the filter was installed in the correct <direction>

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Thanks for the help! You know now that gets me thinking.. Because when I got my fuel pump done by a friend I noticed the leveler was off. Wonder if its possible that affects anything or if possibly a line was pinched etc.. Either way I look into it asap!
    Fingers crossed ha!

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    Fingers crossed ha!
    Mine too. I will keep you guys posted. Thank you for all the help!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hang on guys:

Diagnostic module tank leakage is an evap system code. It means that the evap pump / module is faulty. If there were a vapor leak, the code would say "LEAK, less than 0.5mm" or "Major leak, greater than 0.5mm, check fuel cap"

This code has nothing to do with whether the car is running lean or rich. Nothing to do with fuel cut off. Also, a fuel leak is liquid, while the evap system looks for vapor leakage.

Red herring.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    Hang on guys:

Diagnostic module tank leakage is an evap system code. It means that the evap pump / module is faulty. If there were a vapor leak, the code would say "LEAK, less than 0.5mm" or "Major leak, greater than 0.5mm, check fuel cap"

This code has nothing to do with whether the car is running lean or rich. Nothing to do with fuel cut off. Also, a fuel leak is liquid, while the evap system looks for vapor leakage.

Red herring.
    Good to know thanks for pointing that out. I will try to get under the hood again soon and try the MAF spray into the intake test you mentioned and then work my way down from there. Will keep you posted.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    So DugiHowser, any luck with that M3?

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    So DugiHowser, any luck with that M3?
    Hey thanks for checking up! Unfortunately I haven't had the time to test/work on it since my last post (work is taking over). I do plan on looking into this weekend. I will definitely keep you posted.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Good luck!

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    [QUOTE=bmwdirtracer;30006619]Buy a can of MAF cleaner, or electrical contact cleaner, and have someone spray it into the intake somewhere after the filter box, while you crank the starter. If it starts and runs until you stop spraying, you're not getting fuel.

Hey all, finally got around to tinker with the car after being killed at work! Anyway, I did get to spray a little bit of the MAF cleaner in the intake and it fired right up. I did however unplug the MAF to do it. After I put the intake back together again and plugged the MAF back in. It fired right up but then choked out again. So like you guys said earlier possible fuel problem or maybe MAF? I will try to cold start it without the MAF plugged in today to see what happens. Will update!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    That will be the clue. We await the report.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    That will be the clue. We await the report.
    So after starting the car with and without MAF (no spray) it took a couple tries to start. Once started it ran for a minute or 2 and shut off on its own. I think it is safe to say that it is a fueling issue? I'm a little stumped because I just replaced the fuel pump not long ago and fuel filter. Could it be that the pump is a dud?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    That is possible, where and what brand did you get?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    That is possible, where and what brand did you get?
    I believe it was a Hamburgh brand pump but I'm not 100% sure. I know it was not OEM though.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Never heard of "Hamburgh". I'm not saying it's bad, but testing fuel pressure with symptom manifesting is step 1. That means hooking up the fuel pressure gauge and going for a ride with it clipped under the wiper, and waiting for the symptom to manifest. If pressure is perfect, and remains so with the symptoms, the issue is NOT the fuel pump.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Laguna Seca
    Right, but the issue is that the car won't stay on long enough to even drive. I may just hook up the pressure gauge and let it run until it chokes out but watch the gauge. Maybe rev it while I'm at it?

Should I hook up the pressure gauge from the line going to the fuel rail? Mind you there is no Schrader Valve.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yein. Which is German for maybe. I think that there maybe a schrader valve on the fuel pressure regulator, down by the fuel filter. Otherwise you will need to tap into a rubber line, however I don't think this car has regular hose clamp fittings at the rail.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    You should have a look at that man, just to be sure. Your issue sounds like a fuel pressure one, and in my mind it's pointing to the above or something that went wrong when you replaced the fuel pump...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast