Thread: Broken CV Axle is it a easy fix? 2002 bmw 325xi

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi

Lightbulb Broken CV Axle is it a easy fix? 2002 bmw 325xi

Was driving and when i turn i would hear a sound. couple days later i come home than try to leave out
    and the car is non drivable. is it a easy fix? or how much does it usually cost to get fixed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Remove the axle nut push out the axle but there is a lot of rust, so the axle may be difficult to remove. At the diff end using a large long pry tool or screw driver pop the inner joint out of the diff, a spring clip keeps it in place. At the wheel end you will have to remove some suspension part to fit then axle in. Disassemble brakes, you might as well check the wheel bearing while your in there. I wouldn't call it easy, but a diy can do it

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    I have the same exact car and just did the front driver side CV axle myself. I'm no mechanic. I watched a couple YouTube videos on the process and with a bunch of elbow grease and careful whacking, I got the old one out of the wheel hub. Once you get the old one out, the reverse process to put in the new one is immensely easier.

Do NOT be afraid to do it yourself! Do NOT give up if it doesn't seem to want to come out of the hub! Just remain patient and keep diligent and careful not to damage anything in the process. And most importantly, don't mushroom the old CV axle into the wheel hub, because then you'll have to cut the damn thing out.

It's a learning experience and certainly makes you more familiar with how your car mechanically works in that area which is always worth the effort in the end. That, and saving a ton of money on labour costs.

My Cars
    98 M3(sold), 2002 325XIT
    You don't need to remove the brakes to replace the axle. Something that will make the job a ton easier is this piece: https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-430...&keywords=4305

I replaced both axles in about 25 minutes per side. Unbolt the tire rod end, unbolt the ball joint (both 18 mm), pop the joints loose. Hook up the puller above, and press the cv axle out, then get under the car with a long metal rod or wooden rod and hammer and place it against the cv axle and knock it out towards from the underside of the car out. I previously replaced the driver's side without this tool and it took several hours to get the axle removed from the hub.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Dont even need to do that. Disconnect the strut from the knuckle and pull the top in an outward motion. That gives plenty of room to remove and replace the axle without disconnecting tie rods or ball joints. Ive done it several times.

My Cars
    98 M3(sold), 2002 325XIT
    Trying to remove that strut from the knuckle can and many times often will easily result in a lengthy process of having to drill the bolt out after it breaks off in the knuckle. Been there, done that, even with heat, the long pinch bolt wasn't coming out and broke off. Removing the two 18 mm nuts from the ball joint and tie rod end is much easier and much much less prone to breaking anything and the entire job is done under 30 minutes.