Thread: Hardtop headliner sagging

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci

Hardtop headliner sagging

'01 330ci convertible w/hardtop...noticed while driving with the hardtop on and window down slightly that the headliner of the hardtop was flapping some at the rear...back by the rear window. Wondered if anyone has had this problem and if anyone has a suggestion for a quick/reasonably priced fix? Thx. for any help.

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon
    The only way to fix it properly is to recover it. There is nothing that will work to get it to stay up for any length of time.
    Check out my current build pics here

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to Veterans Fabric in Los Angeles to buy OEM headliner fabric.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci Convertible
    Mine is sagging. Does anyone have any experience in removing the molded headliner shell? My hardtop is pristine other than the fabric sagging. I don't want to break any mounts for the interior lights. The one piece shell seems to be mostly held in place by lip inserted under the weather strip (NO Adhesive). 2003 330Ci with 42000 mi.....like new. Hate to run out of talent trying to do the headliner........

My Cars
    BMW E46 2002

This is what I did

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
    Mine is sagging. Does anyone have any experience in removing the molded headliner shell? My hardtop is pristine other than the fabric sagging. I don't want to break any mounts for the interior lights. The one piece shell seems to be mostly held in place by lip inserted under the weather strip (NO Adhesive). 2003 330Ci with 42000 mi.....like new. Hate to run out of talent trying to do the headliner........
    1) I spread a tarp inside.

2) removed handle covers, handles, motion sensor visors and rear break light housing with screw driver.

3) pulled off headliner cloth placed in washing machine, it came out with out sponge.

4) The Messy Part, what was left on the ceiling is a mixture of sponge and glue, this stuff is really sticky, Make sure the tarp covers the interior, I went in in only my undies and used an old hair brush to scrub the ceiling.

5) Dumped the mess from the tarp on the lawn, took a long shower and threw the undies in with the headliner in the washing machine.

6) Coated the ceiling with wood varnish, let dry for 4 days leave window down, The Smell.

7) Re-Upholstered with felt Backed Purple Leather, No Problems since.

So I basically did everything inside the car with only removing the cloth I suppose you could use the original cloth after washing, but I rather the leather!