Thread: Using a "motor plate" to mount ls in e36

My Cars
    1997 328i Sedan

Using a "motor plate" to mount ls in e36

I have a few questions that I cannot find any answers to despite searching. I read one thread on another forum where someone used a motor plate to mount an ls engine in his e30 which helped provide the room to run an unmodified ls2 exhaust manifold from a Corvette and clear the steering linkage.

I am wondering if this would be placing too much stress on the frame rails (this is where the motor plate mounted) and if so would reinforcement help? And if so what type?

Also, if this is a viable option why is it not used? It seems like it would potentially alleviate a lot of the issues with headers and steering linkage fitment which by extension could be a huge help for us out in California looking to do legal swaps.

Thanks all for any info!
    Last edited by SEDANtarE36; 04-03-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Ls2 manifold was used not ls7 that I originally put

My Cars
    1997 328i Sedan
    I'm a little surprised there isn't more discussion about this mounting solution; it seems like there is potential here. Am I wrong? After-weekend bump.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    that was my plan for mounting my 350 small block into my e36. The project ended up fizzling out and I only mocked it up and have no real world experience to be able to report on

My Cars
    1997 328i Sedan
    Hey thanks for the reply! There is so little room in our engine bays it seems every chance to make more of it would be used. This makes me think that perhaps there is some major downside(s) but I see that this mounting solution is used in a lot of domestic swaps so I don't know.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    No vibration isolation for one. Seems like it would complicate the FEAD portion of the swap...space everything out, etc. Also there are mounts available as well as headers that fit. Not sure if the mounts really get in the way.

Admittedly, I haven't installed my LS yet so take that for what it is worth!

My Cars
    1997 328i Sedan
    Increased nvh would definitely be a drawback but the benefits, I think, would be worth it: more room to make the exhaust and steering linkage coexist and increased bracing in the front of the car. Swap specific headers would be great but California disagrees and being able to run factory manifolds would save people a lot of money even if smog wasn't a concern.

I'm still curious if the frame rails can support this kind of mounting solution safely and if not what kind of reinforcement would allow it to. I would assume they could but I'm no engineer and I'm a little paranoid