Thread: M60/M62 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

My Cars
    1999 740i

M60/M62 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

and upper timing chain cover gaskets. How long has this job taken for those who have done it? Thanks!
    Last edited by Ezzyme; 03-29-2015 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    1995 bmw 740IL
    Check out the diy section.

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    I think it was about 1-2 hours, taking my time.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    1999 740i
    Thank you! Anyone else?

- - - Updated - - -

Search returned no results.

- - - Updated - - -

Found my info. My dealer charged 8.5 hours to do the valve cover and upper timing chain cover gaskets. Seems that is may be the standard hours for the job. Just a LOT of money. Ouch!

My Cars
    2001 740il
    it takes me less than an hour because I have a lot of experience taking them off, 8.5hrs is beyond stupid.

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedbimmer View Post
    it takes me less than an hour because I have a lot of experience taking them off, 8.5hrs is beyond stupid.
    yeah, even with the upper tgc, I can't imagine it taking 8.5. but maybe they were using "book" time which is always inflated.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzyme View Post

Found my info. My dealer charged 8.5 hours to do the valve cover and upper timing chain cover gaskets. Seems that is may be the standard hours for the job. Just a LOT of money. Ouch!

So what was the dollar charge per hour? Here in Chicago the Indy's charge $90.00/hr.
    Last edited by Da Dark Jedi; 03-29-2015 at 03:17 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzyme View Post
    and upper timing chain cover gaskets. How long has this job taken for those who have done it? Thanks!
    8.5 hours. WTF it should never take more than 3 or 4. Besides, you should do it yourself. My valve cover gaskets took me just under 4, and that was with brain damage. I could do it in less than 2 if all goes right

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by GWalker View Post
    8.5 hours. WTF it should never take more than 3 or 4. Besides, you should do it yourself. My valve cover gaskets took me just under 4, and that was with brain damage. I could do it in less than 2 if all goes right
    I remember when I commented someone should do an oil change themselves instead of paying $80 plus; I was nearly crucified for suggesting it.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Like Zedbimmer said, and others, an hour or two TOPS - especially if you've done a few - is all it should take. Unless the old gasket is COOKED into the valve cover, and there's a ton of razor'ing and clean up, it typically moves right along. Good luck. Not sure your 'mechanical inclination' but it's a very easy job; not much required on tools etc. and plenty of DIY and videos to help you along if you want to try it yourself.
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    One week minimum!
    Cause when middle of doing it I would decide to replace some parts and order it online
    But actual work is around 3-5 hours for me and I'm not a mechanic, have done it a few times though.