Thread: Cut a new key yesterday- huge difference!

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34

Cut a new key yesterday- huge difference!

So my key was getting really sloppy and actually starting to bend slightly at the base- It would activate the door locks less and less and required more and more pressure to do so, it's the only key I had and didn't want it to break on me, and I wasn't in the mood to swap out the lock set I have with good original keys

I have some steel key blanks but couldn't find anyone (yet) to cut them, seems nobody cuts them nowadays... ruins their cutter set up for brass keys only.

I found a local locksmith to cut a brass key, knew what he was doing as the original key was pretty chewed up, $3.20 later I tried the new key- Works so much better, goes into the lock cyl with precision and locks/unlocks with ease- works much better in the ignition switch too- I can honestly say that it's the best (least amount) of $ I've spent on this car to date!

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Cheap keyless entry helps save the exterior locks from excess wear!

And yes, fresh, steel keys work far better.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    I drive the car so rarely I haven't considered it, it never gets locked, only while I was down south in SD did I use the locks but agree on the keyless entry- I really like the single key in the very "used" leather holder... I hate the added bulk of the keyless entry fobs but suppose it's better than replacing door lock motors.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I usually use a carabiner for my keys (each vehicle has one), then remove whatever is needed. No bulk on the ignition tumbler.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    I really feel you on the key. If you hadn't seen it you can read my introduction to the key issue here. I too arranged to get some blanks and could find no one to cut them. Finally I was in auto zone getting some bulbs and happened to ask if they had a blank, fully expecting them to laugh. I had asked a few time before but this time, they had some and I cut 3 of them. You are spot on about the feel and I can tell you the sloppiness would have resulted in the key breaking. I think the reason I broke mine was I didn't get the key far enough in, turned it, and it snapped right off.

I'm with Eric, keyless will be the way. I'll be taking the door cards off shortly and that will be one thing I do for sure.

My Cars
    94 M5T
    i found the key code tag taped into the owners manual on my 728, and ordered a new key from the dealer, shortly after i bought the car. It was amazing the difference, vs the old copy of a copy key that came with the car.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    I use the trunk lock most of the time. Saves having that stiff turn of the key associated with the driver's lock and the deadbolt feature. I have the correct key code for one car and the other car brings back a key that isn't even close. BMW dealer can decode it and provide cutting information, but not the correct key code. I guess the keys cut for my car sitting in Germany will never be bought. Or do they cut them to order?

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    I really feel you on the key. If you hadn't seen it you can read my introduction to the key issue here. I too arranged to get some blanks and could find no one to cut them. Finally I was in auto zone getting some bulbs and happened to ask if they had a blank, fully expecting them to laugh. I had asked a few time before but this time, they had some and I cut 3 of them. You are spot on about the feel and I can tell you the sloppiness would have resulted in the key breaking. I think the reason I broke mine was I didn't get the key far enough in, turned it, and it snapped right off.

I'm with Eric, keyless will be the way. I'll be taking the door cards off shortly and that will be one thing I do for sure.
    I did see your post, that's what led me to make a new key... Mine was probably close to the point of breaking- I have several steel blanks, I'm looking for a locksmith to cut them, seems like they are getting scarce like some of the parts for these cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the dealer able to get keys already cut with just a vin? I'm not as lucky as you were and hadn't really thought about that- My last key for my son's car from Mercedes was $270.00!!!

Also, Kieth, I do use the trunk lock but only if I'm walking up to the car from the rear. The new key works very well, almost no effort to unlock from drivers door.

My Cars
    94 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by kojo96 View Post
    Is the dealer able to get keys already cut with just a vin? I'm not as lucky as you were and hadn't really thought about that- My last key for my son's car from Mercedes was $270.00!!!
    Very possible. I ordered a key for my 88 M5, (and many e34's) without issues based on the VIN. For my e23, they told me because it was a euro car, they could not. (maybe BS, not sure). Then i looked thru the service/warranty booklet, and found the metal key tang with the code taped in. Went back with that, and they were able to order it. IIRC, it was like $40 for the master key with the light.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by kojo96 View Post
    I did see your post, that's what led me to make a new key... Mine was probably close to the point of breaking- I have several steel blanks, I'm looking for a locksmith to cut them, seems like they are getting scarce like some of the parts for these cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Kieth, I do use the trunk lock but only if I'm walking up to the car from the rear. The new key works very well, almost no effort to unlock from drivers door.
    The more I think about it, I might have gotten it from Pep Boys. In any case if your store doesn't have a blank I bet they could get one in for you. They would't use the blanks I had, but I was fortunate they carried them. It was a pretty common key, most all of the BMW's from that time used the same blank.