Thread: Contemplating picking up an E36

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

Question Contemplating picking up an E36

Hey guys

Long story short, I've been driving an F150 since 08 and finally got rid of it a couple months ago after a new job has me commuting into the city daily.

So the other day I was browsing Craigslist just for fun and happened to stumble upon a 98 M3 with 141k miles, white on black (my fave). So I happened to have a cousin who lived close to the guy and he gave it a test drive and said it felt good and was super clean (only 2 owners) it was apparent that it had been garaged for most of its life.

That said, it hasn't had most of the commonly failed parts to replace so I know that would be something I could take of. The only exterior problems are the alignment of the front bumper, he told my cousin that it happened to be a cheap plastic part that can break a lot (not sure of the name) and that at some point may have been in a minor fender bender because he said if you look really close you can see the paint difference.

So he has it listed for $7500, I was wondering if a $7k offer would be about right or what else should I ask before getting to price?

I'm sorry this is an n00b post and I'm sure you guys get them often. I just want to make sure I don't miss something that could be easy to overlook.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    You should pay for a pre purchase inspection at a reputable mechanic before pulling the trigger on any car like this. They'll be able to give you a list of all the work it needs, and then you can decide on an appropriate price. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you if $7K is good or not because it could drive ok but still need $3K worth of work (and if you don't do your own labor it can be a LOT more in a hurry). Relatively clean mechanically sound cars of that mileage tend to range anywhere from $8-12K+ depending on condition, mods, colors, etc...
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    I was going to take a shot and purchase and then take it to my buddy at BMW Seattle but does anyone have any recommendations for an honest shop in the Portland area, that would be preferable. I did some searching and found a few but would love if someone gave their own opinion on a shop there.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    At 141k miles, I'd expect the full cooling system to have been replaced at some point in the last 60k (thermo, WP, rad, hopefully hoses). Other common issues would be hard to address without a PPI, bushings (all of them) and suspension would really add up if they haven't been done yet.

Bumper alignment is suspect though. If it's off axis, I'd be concerned the frame horns are bent, doesn't take much at the wrong angle to bend the front.

If you're going to get it inspected, do it first. Buying it then inspecting isn't going to help much if it needs a lot of money to pour in. It doesn't sound like it's at a steal price worth jumping on ASAP, given the mileage.
    Last edited by adamnur; 03-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    If you're going to buy it blind, $7K doesn't sound too bad for the mileage and reported condition, especially if it's stock/unmolested. Assuming it's stock and there's nothing catastrophic or structural (which probably would've been noticed on test drive), then you're likely looking at refreshing most/all the rubber on the car for starters (unless they've been replaced in the last several years). Seals, gaskets, bushings, mounts, etc... Plus things that typically break like the stock radiator and so forth may also need to be addressed.

I'm just assuming there's stuff wrong with it (or at least stuff that needs to be addressed) because if I were the seller and the car was clean I'd be asking a few thousand more and have paperwork from a mechanic showing a clean bill of health. The bumper issue indicates that the car probably hit something at some point, which is concerning. Yes, new bumpers aren't the most expensive thing but it needs to be painted and there's also everything underneath including the chassis/frame.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 03-27-2018 at 05:31 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    I forgot to share the results of the PPI inspection but I will be picking up the car this weekend. Seems like the typical issues.

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 8.59.55 PM.png

My Cars
    E36
    Good deal.

You can check for VIN number tags on all body panels. DOT-R stickers are oem replacement.

Good way to see how much has been replaced as far as panels.

Fender for example. Bumpers have one, so does trunk.

image_10056.jpg
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    So I picked it up last weekend and have started to order some parts. When I put the climate to face and feet, the fan blows at full speed, when I go to lower it, it clicks off and goes straight to "auto" mode.

Is this is the aux fan relay? If so, what part # am I looking for?

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by tfolks206 View Post
    So I picked it up last weekend and have started to order some parts. When I put the climate to face and feet, the fan blows at full speed, when I go to lower it, it clicks off and goes straight to "auto" mode.

Is this is the aux fan relay? If so, what part # am I looking for?
    Possibly blower motor resistor or final stage unit.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...r_resistor.htm

i just bought a 130k mile sedan that was "clean" and i spent 27k so far fixing/upgrading it. clearly i've gone overboard but they can be pricey

my list so far:
    BMW OEM ILLUMINATED SHIFT LEVER COVERING
    BMW OEM FRONT LEFT & RIGHT DOOR SEALS
    BMW OEM REAR LEFT & RIGHT DOOR SEALS
    BMW OEM DOOR HANDLE COVERING REAR L & R
    BMW OEM DOOR HANDLE COVERING FRONT L & R
    BMW OEM REAR 1/4 WINDOW GASKET L & R
    BMW OEM FRONT OUTER WEATHER STRIP L & R
    BMW OEM FRONT WINDOW SEAL
    BMW OEM FRONT INNER WINDOW CHANNEL COVER L & R
    BMW OEM REAR INNER WINDOW CHANNEL COVER L & R
    BMW OEM REAR DOOR WEATHER STRIP L & R
    BMW OEM WINDSHIELD L & R COWL
    BMW OEM FRONT WINDOW REGULATORS
    BMW OEM REAR WINDOW REGULATORS
    BMW OEM WINDOW MOTOR LEFT
    BMW OEM WINDOW MOTOR RIGHT
    FRONT WINDOW REGULATOR BUSHINGS
    BMW OEM WINDOW BARRIER
    BMW OEM REAR RIGHT WINDOW GUIDE
    BMW OEM FRONT WINDOW GUIDE L & R
    BMW OEM ROOF GASKET L & R
    BMW OEM REAR LEFT WINDOW GUIDE
    RIGHT EURO TAILLIGHT
    BMW OEM DRIVER DOOR LATCH
    BMW OEM DRIVER DOOR LATCH ACTUATOR
    BMW OEM REAR WINDOW MOTOR LEFT
    BMW OEM REAR WINDOW MOTOR RIGHT
    BMW EURO STEERING WHEEL
    BMW OEM STEERING WHEEL SLIP RING
    BMW OEM BETA LINK
    BMW OEM WINDSHIELD
    new clutch
    kw v3
    kw suspension
    sway bars
    uuc short shifter
    stoptech rotors
    contour wheels
    moldings
    re manufactured driveshaft

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Haha, if I had the money to dump into it, I think I would already be past $5k. I will slowly replace all the worn out interior and exterior pieces but I don't think I will get to $27k worth! I see a couple things on your list that I need though!

Forgot to update this post.

I purchased the genuine BMW final resistor from Turner MS, also ordered new wheel wells, supports and hardware, installed an Alpine headunit and have Stage 1 Bavsound speakers on the way. I hope to get the bumper back on this friday so I can finally give it a proper drive this weekend.

that price included about 8000 of labor.

here is the car i bought: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-bmw-m3-sedan-12/

how will you address the interior door panels and what are your thoughts on seat replacement?
    Last edited by RickyN F355; 04-18-2018 at 02:30 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Well, I must admit my interior is pretty clean, I have the bison leather so it has held up to the years of abuse. That said, the two rear door panels do have some sagging leather and there is a small cigarette sized hole in the bolster on the driver's seat. I can live with these issues for awhile but eventually, I would love to repair or replace.

I can do most tasks myself but I do have a buddy that worked at a BMW dealership for anything that is over my head or needs another set of hands. Its been an adjustment for me going back under the hood of a smaller car, I've been so used to all the engine space my truck had that I got spoiled.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    So I replaced the final stage resistor and I still have the same issue. I press defrost, the fan goes to high/max, I turn it down and it jumps off defrost and goes back to hands and feet at half speed. Any other ideas?

I was so excited to get the bumper put back on after I got a new wheel well in the mail, pulled it out this morning and it's missing the seal that goes along the edge Back into the box it went, hopefully, they send me a new one or the seal.

Also got the rear and mids installed from the Bavsound Stage 1 kit, didn't have time for the doors but wow they sound incredible!

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Any ideas on the fan issue?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    My only other thought is the head unit might be acting up.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    head unit being the climate control unit? I should be able to get one off eBay or pull a part and it should work correct?