Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2018 LSX into E36 build - 1998 328I

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Updates:

-Met a guy that does some really bad ass cages, he did a roll bar for me
    -LS7 clutch was dying so I'm in the process of installing a Monster LT1-S twin disc
    -Upgraded to ATI damper
    -had a pretty nasty exhaust manifold leak which i think caused one of my plug boots to burn up, switched them out to ACCEL ceramic wires

My Cars
    '97 M3/4
    Dang... would have liked to have helped if you were closer....

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    That is some 3D art work! Impressive...

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    Dang... would have liked to have helped if you were closer....

Ya it was a good time last time you were out, I got me some electric tools now too haha

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Amazing work and build! loved reading through it.

You'll love the Monster LT1-s triple btw, fantastic clutch feels better than stock IMO and slips great off the line.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
    Amazing work and build! loved reading through it.

You'll love the Monster LT1-s triple btw, fantastic clutch feels better than stock IMO and slips great off the line.

Ty sir! love your build as well

My Cars
    1998 328I
    updates:

Took my car to my very first NASA event, just did the 1 day and graduated out of hpde1, it was honestly one of the most fun days i have ever had in terms of car stuff. Car did great, had a small issue with power steering fluid but I believe it was due to having the reservoir with too much fluid, I took some out and no more power steering spilling out of the reservoir.

No issues with heat, granted this was back in Feb.

Other updates

-Rear seat delete panels, I took my old seats and I cut out the side bolsters using a cut off wheel, then i Had the side bolsters re-wrapped in leather(50 bucks) Then I had a shop make me some custom rear seat delete panels, then I painted them gloss black
    -Flex fuel sensor - I got a flex fuel sensor(ACDelco 13577429), wired it to my pcm and got tuned for Flex fuel!!! With ethanol in the tank I was able to crank up the boost and the car made 689hp/657tq @12psi.... Not bad to get 190hp gain at a push of a button and new gas. I gained about 50hp just on ethanol and more timing with 7psi.
    -DSS Drive shaft - I reached out to DSS and asked them to build me a drive shaft capable of 1000hp, Not that I plan on making that much but I wanted to be safe when I turned up the boost, They put together a 3" dom steel drive shaft with 1350 u joints on each end billet. Nice peice

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    I have about 400 miles on my Monster Clutch. I am really liking it. It does chatter a bit, but that comes with the territory of a twin disc.

I have been considering getting hood vents to help with heat. I'm N/A though.
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop
    My LS3 Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post30117299

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Car is looking and performing awesome!

I have a DSS driveshaft on the shelf as a backup for the modified BMW shaft. I was sure I had a driveshaft vibration but it has been gone since the new wheels and tires went on. Nice looking piece though. Might be up for sale in the next few weeks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    Did you call DSS and actually spec it over the phone? I've tried them twice in the last several months and both times they told me to fill out the online form and someone would call me to discuss it. Never got a call. I'd like to go with them if I can actually get someone on the phone for the conversation.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Nearly 700 WHP! Now I see the light of a turbo LS in an E36!

Must be a hoot to drive this thing on the track...certainly pass everything on the straights (point bys allowed?)

You found some nice craftsmen with that interior work...

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrentr View Post
    I have about 400 miles on my Monster Clutch. I am really liking it. It does chatter a bit, but that comes with the territory of a twin disc.

I have been considering getting hood vents to help with heat. I'm N/A though.

The chatter freaked me out at first, I thought something was broken LOL. I just hit about 500 miles and love the clutch so far!

The vents were pretty easy to do, they look awesome too!

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt330LS View Post
    Did you call DSS and actually spec it over the phone? I've tried them twice in the last several months and both times they told me to fill out the online form and someone would call me to discuss it. Never got a call. I'd like to go with them if I can actually get someone on the phone for the conversation.
    I did not speak to them on the phone but I exchanged several emails with Lee Mejia lee@driveshaftshop.com, basically I emailed them and asked them to get me a solution that will hold 800 hp, I gave him my transmission/engine and weight of my car, my rear end etc.. This is what he came up with and description

"I refigured this up using 1350 u-joints, a billet 31 spline Sonnax yoke for the Magnum and 3” chromoly tube with the adapter to fit the 4-bolt rear. This will take 1000HP if you need it to."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Nearly 700 WHP! Now I see the light of a turbo LS in an E36!

Must be a hoot to drive this thing on the track...certainly pass everything on the straights (point bys allowed?)

You found some nice craftsmen with that interior work...

It's a blast on the street! lol too bad all the tracks are shut down :/

My Cars
    89 325I

fuel line quic disconnects info help

Quote Originally Posted by RulyLSX View Post
    More pics/vids!

-Got the upper and lower radiator hoses installed and setup: I purchased the cx racing universal ls1 radiator kit and it fit perfectly
    -My o2 sensor extension arrived today via next day amazon prime: Got this installed and had to zip tie the excess wiring to avoid hitting the headers
    -mounted the spal 16" puller fan in side the stock shroud. Used a universal mounting kit that I bought at pep boys - I might have to cut the stock shroud as it blocks the intake slightly
    -I also have to figure out how to install the intake to the driver side... The upper radiator hose is in the way, I am going to see if i can install the intake first without the upper radiator hose installed and see if there is enough room under.... If that doesn't work I am going to have to send the intake via the passenger sid
    -Filled her up with coolant today and found several leaks from not tightening stuff good enough... that was fun
    -Also stupidly forgot that the coolant crossover to the heads needs to be routed to the throttle body.... I capped it for now after it just squirted out water, I already placed an order for a throttle body bypass line via amazon
    -All fluids are filled excluding brakes

anyways, here's some pics and video of it running with coolant flowing!

Hi I'm pretty late to your party !! but great build and documentation

Im just starting my swap
    any chance you have the source /part number etc for the inlet/ return quick disconnects at the fuel filt/reg ??
    I can only locate 'plastic'

Thanks

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by 36brua View Post

Im just starting my swap
    any chance you have the source /part number etc for the inlet/ return quick disconnects at the fuel filt/reg ??

Thanks
    I think you mean like this, right: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-164...origin=keyword
    This is the 3/8" one.
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by 36brua View Post

Im just starting my swap

Thanks

thx!

here are the links

5/16 https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-12...8688893&sr=8-2
    3/8 https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-12...8688960&sr=8-3

Autozone/Oreilys usually have them too if you need em quick.
    Last edited by RulyLSX; 05-05-2020 at 03:27 PM.

My Cars
    89 325I

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RulyLSX View Post
    thx!

here are the links

5/16 https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-12...8688893&sr=8-2
    3/8 https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-12...8688960&sr=8-3

Autozone/Oreilys usually have them too if you need em quick.

Thanks again ! Ive only seen the Dorman all 'plastic' for nylon fuel line

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Update

-Purchased and installed a drive shaft loop, wanted to have this in place just for sake of safety in the event the front ujoint ever fails. Install was very easy, the 90 degree metal portion was really long so all I did was cut those shorter on the side that connects to the body, instead of bolting it through the body i ended up welding it

-Installed toyo R888R's in the front, size is 255/40/17. They just cleared the coil overs, I added a 5mm spacer just to give it a little more breathing room. Compared to the old tires it's crazy how stickier these are, noticed the biggest change in braking

-Camber shim kit, I used to be maxed out at -1.6 camber in the front, From reading that massive alignment thread on bimmerforums I wanted to add more camber for road racing, I got a shim kit that supposed to add a full degree of negative camber, haven't verified yet but i'm assuming i'm at -2.6.... Hoping it helps with keeping the bigger tires tucked under the fender too lol

Link to drive shaft loop - https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60662/10002/-1
    Link to shim kit - https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...him-Kit_2.html

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Ha, I have Vorshlag camber plates and I can't get below ~1.5 degrees.

Looks like a tight fit after your exhaust is installed.
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop

My Cars
    1998 328I
    ha, i have vorshlag camber plates and i can't get below ~1.5 degrees.

Looks like a tight fit after your exhaust is installed.

shim it!!!

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    I just read through your build thread from start to finish; I missed quite a bit in the beginning. It's so clean.

My intake is on the passenger side and I've been toying around with how to get fresh air behind the headlight. I would like to build a box around the filter to heat with heat, but I still need fresh air. There are solutions on the market for a hole in the headlight, but I've only found that for the driver's side.

I had 150°F IAT while sitting w/ ambient temp being around 80°F. While moving it decreased to around 115°F, still too high for my liking. In the meantime, I'm going to try and run ~95 octane to help prevent any knocking.
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop

My Cars
    1998 328I
    I just read through your build thread from start to finish; I missed quite a bit in the beginning. It's so clean.

My intake is on the passenger side and I've been toying around with how to get fresh air behind the headlight. I would like to build a box around the filter to heat with heat, but I still need fresh air. There are solutions on the market for a hole in the headlight, but I've only found that for the driver's side.

I had 150°F IAT while sitting w/ ambient temp being around 80°F. While moving it decreased to around 115°F, still too high for my liking. In the meantime, I'm going to try and run ~95 octane to help prevent any knocking.

Thank you sir! i'll be folloiwng your thread too, was it just moved to engine swap area? I can't recall seeing yours, and we were building around the same time!, good reading material for tomorrow ! haha

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Per usual, random updates

second nasa event, first time running with HPDE2, had a blast, hotter event, I think the high was about 100 degrees this day. Car stayed cool for majority of the heat, highest temp I saw was about 230 on the final lap towards the end of the day. Tons of fun, this was also the first time i went out in road racing tires too! Amazing how much confidence some grippy tires can give you lol

de22.jpgde2.JPG

Also went drag racing for the first time since I've gone boost, went out with the road racing tires(TOYO R888R) The outcome was pretty much what I was expecting, I was at low boost setting and the best I did was 12.2 ET with a 2.2 60 foot! Here is a vid of one of my runs that night.

<font color="#707070"><span style="font-family: &amp;quot">

Next on my goal list is to get some good times drag racing(hoping for a 10 second pass) I got a "drag" setup which consist of 15X8" wheels for the rear with Mickey Thompason ET street R in Bias Ply and the front setup is 17X4.5" wheel with 26.0'' x 4.5'' - 17'' (P165/70R17) tire. Rear tire size is 26X10.50-15LT.

IN order to fit the 15" wheel on M3 calipers I had to shave the caliper

Picture of the car with the drag racing rear setup

Last edited by RulyLSX; 06-30-2020 at 07:27 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Links to wheels and tires I used for the drag setup

Rear Wheel
    SSR Star WheelSize: 15 x 8"
    Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.75"
    Back Spacing: 5.5"

Front Wheel
    SSR Star WheelDiameter & Width: 17 x 4.5"
    Bolts & Bolt Circle: 5-4.75"
    Back Spacing: 1.75"

Rear Tire - Size is 26X10.50-15LT

Front Tire - Size is 26.0'' x 4.5'' - 17'' (P165/70R17)

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Looking good. How do you like the ceramic plug wires. I just got the same ones.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast