Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: 2018 LSX into E36 build - 1998 328I

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    Looking good. How do you like the ceramic plug wires. I just got the same ones.
    I like them, they were easy to make and better yet they haven't burned like the previous ones i had

My Cars
    97 bmw 328i
    Hi rulylsx just wondering if you still had you old a/c kit and if you were thinking of selling it?

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Sorry for delay, I ended up selling the kit to another member here, the only thing i have left is the hydroboost kit for the brakes.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Update: my 210mm diff and brace exploded on me haha

I have been out to the drag strip a few times, I was running a slick/skinnies setup and was practicing launching as hard as I could off the line, This was the result of SEVERE wheel hop and my refusal to let off. My only reason for not letting off is that the car was still moving forward and I was frustrated with the wheel hop so I just stayed in it till i heard a loud bang....

IMG_6800.jpgIMG_6801.jpg

Crappy thing is that now I need to source a new diff cover, I think the differential is fine although I did drive it for a bit with no oil in order to get to a place I can call a tow. Also while inspecting it appears my subframe is cracked... Will have to repair that too.

I have ordered the rally road brace, still trying to find the cover and will be removing the subrame for further inspection this week

My Cars
    '97 M3/4
    Oh dang!!

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    That sucks so much. Are you running 95A bushings all around?
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop
    My LS3 Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post30117299

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrentr View Post
    That sucks so much. Are you running 95A bushings all around?

75D from AKG motorsports is what I run, that's what i'm going to run again and get it back up and running. PLanning on moving to an 8.8 after the holidays

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Did a compression and leakdown test on my engine, going on 3 years swapped, 2 years boosted and the engine still in tip top shape!

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Impressive!

My Cars
    s50 swapped e30
    Nice swap! I bought that swapped sedan from Brian. I'm having the same steering slop that you posted about. Did you ever figure out the cause of yours? I installed a used zhp rack, but that barely helped. I'm afraid that the cause in the Flaming River shaft, but I'm not convinced.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by projectDD View Post
    Nice swap! I bought that swapped sedan from Brian. I'm having the same steering slop that you posted about. Did you ever figure out the cause of yours? I installed a used zhp rack, but that barely helped. I'm afraid that the cause in the Flaming River shaft, but I'm not convinced.
    Nope never figured it out, I was planning on doing a z3 or z4 rack in it to get shorter turns but haven't bothered, It's kinda annoying but I learned to live with it.

I hear you on the cause being flaming river but it's all metal on metal, The only point I can see any kind of flex when I've looked at it is in the steering rack.... Oh well lol

Glad to hear you picked up the project! Brian is a good dude, hope you take care of that thing! You in AZ?

My Cars
    s50 swapped e30
    Quote Originally Posted by RulyLSX View Post
    Nope never figured it out, I was planning on doing a z3 or z4 rack in it to get shorter turns but haven't bothered, It's kinda annoying but I learned to live with it.

I hear you on the cause being flaming river but it's all metal on metal, The only point I can see any kind of flex when I've looked at it is in the steering rack.... Oh well lol

Glad to hear you picked up the project! Brian is a good dude, hope you take care of that thing! You in AZ?
    Yeah, I'm in Gilbert. The car will definitely be well cared for.

After I posted here, I found this thread. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-U-joint-issue

See Tongboy's post about half way down the first page. I just hammered/pulled the u-joins on as far as I could and took the car for a quick spin. The steering play is almost completely gone!

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Yeah, I'm in Gilbert. The car will definitely be well cared for.

After I posted here, I found this thread. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-U-joint-issue

See Tongboy's post about half way down the first page. I just hammered/pulled the u-joins on as far as I could and took the car for a quick spin. The steering play is almost completely gone!
    Interesting, not sure how I haven't seend that before, So if i'm understanding it right, you removed the middle bar, hammered in the joints to the steerring rack/firewall and then put the bar back in? Going to try this!

My Cars
    z3
    Be very careful where you hammer the U-joints - they can be damaged by hitting them in the wrong place

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    s50 swapped e30
    I used every 3/8" socket extension that I had to reach to upper u-joint. Its hard to describe, but I was able to use that and a hammer to gently tap against the upper portion of the u-joint. I didn't have to take it apart or press on the middle bar.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Sometimes I come back and re-read my progress, such a fun part of the build and glad I documented it here lol. can't believe it's been 4 years already

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314