Thread: New to me 03 M3 cab - intro

My Cars
    00 528, 73 2002

New to me 03 M3 cab - intro

Somehow I missed this subforum and intro'ed myself on the regular E46 one ... (not that there's anything wrong with those, I used to own a ZHP which incidentally had much better seats than my M3)

Just got an 03 cab this week end, my understanding wife agreed that it would be a nice COVID car - nowhere to go, might as well go topless...Very decent body and mechanicals except for a power steering hose leaking slightly, 109K miles... I'd say the flaws are interior (wear and tear, seat is too high nd I thought it was broken but nope, cubby doors peeling, center console shot, and peeled arm rest) and possibly some of the front end bushings / suspension... That, or it's more flexible than I remember it to be... driving on grooved surfaces produces such vibrations the mirrors are useless... It's a convertible -) On good roads it's fine and pulls very well... Took me a day to "get" SMG, initially struggled with the "interface" and I now understand the subtleties like if you start using paddles you're automatically switched to sequential mode, etc... Hey, I found out the rev limiter works ! ;-)

I had a spare console in the trunk, would have been done in 15 minutes had I known cabs require a dremel be taken to the console to fit ! All good now - Have several parts on order to fix / dye the armrest too...

Questions for you all:

1)The passenger side rear triangular window seems to rattle at speed...I ordered gummi pfledge in case it's the contact with the front window but is there something one can tighten up in the regulator for those ? if top is up or window is down, no issue, it's only rattling when the top is down but all windows are up (which I agree is a strange combo but it's less windy for the kids in the backseat that way)

2) The flip up door of the cubby under the AC is peeling - I can't find just that part, looks like an entire assembly that goes behind the AC controls too, is that so ? Are there tricks ? Anyone try plastidip ??

3) Can the seat be gutted of adjustments or electrics or whatever and sit lower ? Can one retrofit a ZHP seat ? Or a manual seat ? Anything that helps me not feel like my forehead is over the windshield ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Deschodt; 08-17-2020 at 02:04 PM.