Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Market for EDC Shocks and Struts?

My Cars
    1997 750i, 2001 730d
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    You were able to buy 4 new struts from BMW? Last time I checked at least one of the corners was NLA…?
    Yes, this was in late 2022, in Greece, so we were able to get the parts from Germany. They still exist, we buy from two sources generally, Schmiedmann and the local dealer

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...es-c21-catn-ol

I do see the left rear missing conspicuously from there..
    740i 1995
    750i 1997
    730d 2001
    W221 M272 S350
    R230 M272 SL280

My Cars
    2000 540iT Sport
    @evs9000 - Great info and thanks for that. Shows that going the refurb route might be a little risky! And interesting on Schmiedmann site that they don't have any rears that don't have SLS....those shocks were the same for left and right, whereas the SLS ones are different left and right.

I am starting to reach out to US-based shock refurbishment houses, and specifically ones that do Sachs shocks, to see if refurbishing these is something they could do or would be interested in doing. Im not holding my breath but i am keeping my fingers crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

@evs9000 - are you saying that the Chinese shocks suffered from failure of the cable inside the shock relatively quickly after mounting them? As in, they were just of shoddy quality? And that the Nagengast rebuild did not fix the cabling inside the shock? And that the eBay shocks also suffered from the same cable issue inside the shock? Just trying to make sure i understand what the issues were as i try to make my own decision on what to do. Seems weird that all three sets would suffer the same failure, tho maybe that is their weak point...

- - - Updated - - -

And while i have people - is there a write up anywhere on how to test these shocks while they are in the car? I see some mention of taking resistance measurements and i think of applying some voltage to the pins, but thats just short missives here and there and hard to know what the process really is. Ive searched multiple forums and not found a write up - does anyone know if one exists anywhere? If not then i will have to cobble together the info and then write my own...

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Curious about the test procedure as well and would love to see anything developed.

As for Nagengast, a little caveat emptor is required, this is a reman product. There are a few different stories of success/failures. For me, it seems to have worked out but ymmv. At time of my purchase (and still) they have this disclaimer “it must not have a damaged casing, cut off wires, broken plugs, bent piston rod, etc.” It looks like the “etc.” has a lot of room there that I wasn’t tracking. If a protocol is (or has) been developed, it will change the market a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123