Thread: Good Audio setup recommendations

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI

Good Audio setup recommendations

Hello all, I’m planning on eventually upgrading audio in my car. Any recommendation on a good setup?

My Cars
    1983 633csi, 2017 540i
    I use 2 6x9 pioneer rear speakers, 2 4x6 pioneer front speakers, pioneer digital media player, and an Alpine KTP-445U amplifier. Inexpensive and sounds pretty good but no booming subwoofer if you like that.

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Thanks. I’ll look into those. I still need to mod my rears to put in 6x9s. Are These 4x6 and these 6x9 the ones you used? I was also thinking of using the BMW cd43 radio for a stock look but I’m not exactly sure they would put out good sound.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    I have the cd 43 and no amp and all is fine . The bottom line is that there is enough engine noise in the car that a costly set up is just not worth it. My 2 cents anyway.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    1983 633csi, 2017 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by RSheiman View Post
    I have the cd 43 and no amp and all is fine . The bottom line is that there is enough engine noise in the car that a costly set up is just not worth it. My 2 cents anyway.
    I agree. That amp is small and inexpensive. Mine is behind the kick panel under the steering wheel

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem43020 View Post
    Thanks. I’ll look into those. I still need to mod my rears to put in 6x9s. Are These 4x6 and these 6x9 the ones you used? I was also thinking of using the BMW cd43 radio for a stock look but I’m not exactly sure they would put out good sound.
    Yes except my 6x9's are 3 way's
    Last edited by bmw6fan; 03-25-2018 at 03:00 PM.

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RSheiman View Post
    I agree. My goal is anything decent at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by bmw6fan View Post
    I agree. That amp is small and inexpensive. Mine is behind the kick panel under the steering wheel

- - - Updated - - -

Yes except my 6x9's are 3 way's
    Thanks I'll be sure to check these out. These will do for now. Can't wait to throw my headunit out.

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    I ran new wires from my HU to the rear speakers and it made a big difference. I ran it through the trans tunnel then behind the seats. I’ll clean it up whenever I get the time but it’ll do for now and I plan on running new wires to the front speakers tomorrow.

Has anyone ever bypassed the stock amp? I’m guessing I could pull it out after I wire up the fronts to the HU?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hakeem43020; 05-02-2018 at 12:14 AM.

My Cars
    '85 635CSi, '87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by hakeem43020 View Post
    Can't wait to throw my headunit out.
    If it's original equipment and it works (and even if it doesn't), I wouldn't do that. At least keep it in storage because a future owner may want to revert back someday. These cars are becoming classics/antiques and as they age, originality becomes increasingly important to many enthusiasts.

I'm one of them; my E24 still has its original Alpine unit. When I acquired my E28 it had a fairly high-end Clarion AM/FM/CD unit (circa-late 1990s), but I removed it in favor of an OE-type AM/FM/Cassette (made by Pioneer). A lot of that older audio equipment, like our cars, was built rugged and to a higher standard of quality than most modern stuff available today.
    Last edited by LarryM; 05-02-2018 at 03:15 AM.

My Cars
    89 BMW 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    If it's original equipment and it works (and even if it doesn't), I wouldn't do that. At least keep it in storage because a future owner may want to revert back someday. These cars are becoming classics/antiques and as they age, originality becomes increasingly important to many enthusiasts.

I'm one of them; my E24 still has its original Alpine unit. When I acquired my E28 it had a fairly high-end Clarion AM/FM/CD unit (circa-late 1990s), but I removed it in favor of an OE-type AM/FM/Cassette (made by Pioneer). A lot of that older audio equipment, like our cars, was built rugged and to a higher standard of quality than most modern stuff available today.
    It’s not OEM unfortunately. The PO had cut all wires and installed an aftermarket HU that use to short out when I touched it lol.