Thread: E34 Electronics, driver-passanger-steering wheel and reveiw mirrors and ect.

My Cars
    1995,bmw,540i,4door

Question E34 Electronics, driver-passanger-steering wheel and reveiw mirrors and ect.

Ok this happened a few years ago and the car has been sitting since i am a university student and have another car. Now im finishing school this year december 2018 and starting to buy parts to restore and fix.

Basicly the driver seat , steering wheel, passnger seat, wipers, review mirrors stopped working one day. The driver seat and steering wheel went back to its up position with the seat moving all the way up. Wipers only work when on high speed and review mirrors do not move.

I figure maybe it is the alternator, CCM, and battery all together. The Check Control likght is on as well when starting car and when cutting off.. i will replace them all. Fuses are fine as i changed them all out when it first happened back in like 2014 yeah ive had this car since i was 15. its my first car and i plan on keeping it because im smart enough to know you never sell a car you own. its cheaper to just fix it yourself. besides i love this cars body it is just sexy as heck when stanced right and freshly new paint. all of wich will come hopefully before i graduate this year.

I am looking for possible problems that are known to cause this specific problems and or fixes from guys with experience in this department. i want to get this fixed so i can enjoy reversing into parking spots super fast as close as i can to the curb like i used to when the mirror moves dows to see the curb when in reverse. i miss that so much.

but most of all i want to adjust my dang seat and steering wheel and also use my wipers. please let me know what this problem might be. I know i need new alternator for sure and battery. also its not the seat switch lose or broken i checked all that the other day. but maybe i will replace all those as well when i buy the other stuff just for percaution.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    First of all you need a good battery, too low voltage can cause problems to modules.
    If the car sat for some years, there can be corrosion on the contact pins of the modules and plugs. Use a contact enhancer.
    drive seat, passenger seat, mirrors is controlled by the SMM module which is located under driver seat. Are all plugs still in?
    Wpers are controlled by the ZKE central chassis control module which is located under driver side rear seat.
    Did you check all fuses? also they could have been oxidized, there are also fuses under the rear seat.
    CCM is not the problem for the probs described by you.
    Use the ETM for the built year and check the fuses first http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    e34 535i and 98 528i
    It is sounds like the fusible link by the battery.

Andy

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Yes, also to be checked, there are 2 of them, 1 goes to the engine bay to the DME box, the other one feeds the fuse box, relays and modules under driver side rear seat, see my website for details http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html
    reference data>>>electrical
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1995,bmw,540i,4door
    Thanks Shogun will check all those things in the coming weeks. things are getting busy as im closer to graduating. trying to secure internship is hard as heck. but i will check all the fuses agian and the things you mentioned. SMM & ZKE but i think the check control might need a new CCM also its fairly cheap to get a new one so i might buy all of them if necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes south42 I think it started with the battery and alternator. it just went out one day for no reason. the alternator i know is no good and i need a new battery. the battery i have in now is just to start the car and move it if needed. It is a truck battery with lower voltage but enough to start the car and move. I think this might be the reason for the problem but i just want to make sure so i will check everything and buy all new parts if needed. i want this car to run perfect when im done restoring it.
    I will post updates in the next coming weeks once i buy a few more parts and have some extra time to fiddle around with things on the car. i hop to have the alternator and a few other things before the end of summer. tuition is eating up my funds to buy everything at once so every other month i buy a part for the car and just sit on it till i have everything.
    Last edited by infamousbmw19; 03-29-2018 at 03:28 PM.