Thread: Got me an M5

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i

Got me an M5

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&modelCode1=M5

Just brought her in last night. Very good exterior and interior condition. Engine is very quiet and healthy. Few suspension and brakes issues but nothing major. She did 450 miles trip with easy. Power is amazing. BlueWater Metallic is very rare color and last year of production were to much for me to resist. Now I have to sell this:

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/c...532212125.html
    Last edited by BMW540san; 03-26-2018 at 03:11 AM.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Congrats on the M5.
    You didn't keep the S8 for very long. Hope it sells quickly, it should.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Ha, I knew you would be back! The S8 is nice, but just too soft to be your forever car. Nice side adventure for sure and a great car. I love the color combo on the new m5! Car looks very mint! Congrats Z! Looking forward to your updates on it.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2000 528IT
    Nice find and clean car.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Wow, a used car with an immaculate engine bay. Impressive.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    Bluewater on Silverstone is a great combo. I have a Bluewater 530i but get compliments from fellow E39 owners about the color. Looks silver in some light and blue in others. I can see why it wasn't a popular color choice in 2002 and 2003; but nowadays off colors from white, gray and black are much more popular which just makes BWM more appealing.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Why are you selling the S8?

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Congrats on the M5.
    You didn't keep the S8 for very long. Hope it sells quickly, it should.
    Thanks. Actually, no rush on S8 now. In some strange ways, I like it more after getting the M5. Like 2 different flavors, each good in a different way.
    I need to catch up with your build.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Ha, I knew you would be back! The S8 is nice, but just too soft to be your forever car. Nice side adventure for sure and a great car. I love the color combo on the new m5! Car looks very mint! Congrats Z! Looking forward to your updates on it.
    Thanks, philly. M5 is in really good shape but it needs few things. So, driving S8, slowly working on M5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MooseBranch View Post
    Nice find and clean car.
    Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Why are you selling the S8?
    It's quite nice but as mentioned, it's old man's car. Not in a bad way, but it is perfect fit for older gentleman blasting snowy Wisconsin roads or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
    Wow, a used car with an immaculate engine bay. Impressive.
    It's quite nice but not like on pictures. Seller was a great guy and I got a decent deal so I didn't want to get into pictures issue. I think some of them might be few years old. Engine bay was not like on pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianE31 View Post
    Bluewater on Silverstone is a great combo. I have a Bluewater 530i but get compliments from fellow E39 owners about the color. Looks silver in some light and blue in others. I can see why it wasn't a popular color choice in 2002 and 2003; but nowadays off colors from white, gray and black are much more popular which just makes BWM more appealing.
    Everything you said plus according to few sources there was only around 80+/- of this color combination imported to US.
    Not a unicorn but rate combo and last year of E39 are a good thing.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Very nice, clean find. And a great color combo.
    Are you going to take it on the Dragon?
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 03 525iT Sport
    Beautiful M5. Will be in good hands.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 530i (UK)
    Wow... Looks a stunning car. Interior and engine bat are immaculate!

What work does it need doing and any further plans?
    My car: 2002 E39 540i Sport - Japanese import - the new project!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Ugh, my buddy was all set to buy that M5 and even offered to put a deposit down, but the seller didn't take it. Glad it went to an enthusiast, but still sucks as to why the seller shafted my buddy.

Glad to hear it turned out to be a good car though. Seemed odd more people weren't going after it as he dropped the price a good bit upon first listing it.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
    Wow... Looks a stunning car. Interior and engine bat are immaculate!

What work does it need doing and any further plans?
    As I mentioned already, it's not as nice as pictures but close enough.
    It has sinking brake pedal but it feels as just needs good flush and remove air from system.
    Some vibration around 50 mph although tension strut bushings have been replaced.
    I'm yet to raise it on lift and inspect it careful as I had to go back to work.
    Also, differential seal leak and few other minor things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ed CT View Post
    Very nice, clean find. And a great color combo.
    Are you going to take it on the Dragon?
    Thanks. Few months to take care of issues than Dragon later.

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    Congrats! Check out m5board they have a very active e39 m5 section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _________

1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!
    2000 M5 - 2000-02 Titanium Silver - Currently own!

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Ugh, my buddy was all set to buy that M5 and even offered to put a deposit down, but the seller didn't take it. Glad it went to an enthusiast, but still sucks as to why the seller shafted my buddy.

Glad to hear it turned out to be a good car though. Seemed odd more people weren't going after it as he dropped the price a good bit upon first listing it.
    I don't know when your buddy contacted him but I offered deposit before making 450 miles trip from Chattanooga to Charleston and he refused and trusted my word. He did tell me he had people lined up for weekend if I don't buy it (I got there on Friday) so in my experience he was very fair.
    The car was not as nice as in pictures but close enough. It has few issues but nothing major. All records and engine is very quiet and healthy. Oil level hasn't changed after 450 miles trip. If he did a better ad and mentioned rare color, I might have not gotten there on time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by charter21p5 View Post
    Congrats! Check out m5board they have a very active e39 m5 section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. To be honest, not a fan of that forum due to annoying ads.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    very cool. Expansion tank looks a bit crusty. Probably time to replace. I would at least verify its age.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    I don't know when your buddy contacted him but I offered deposit before making 450 miles trip from Chattanooga to Charleston and he refused and trusted my word. He did tell me he had people lined up for weekend if I don't buy it (I got there on Friday) so in my experience he was very fair.
    The car was not as nice as in pictures but close enough. It has few issues but nothing major. All records and engine is very quiet and healthy. Oil level hasn't changed after 450 miles trip. If he did a better ad and mentioned rare color, I might have not gotten there on time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. To be honest, not a fan of that forum due to annoying ads.
    My buddy was talking to him all weekend on the weekend previous to you heading down there. He was set to drive down from Charlotte on Saturday and offered a deposit. Oh well. Just how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Congrats and welcome to M land.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead97 View Post
    very cool. Expansion tank looks a bit crusty. Probably time to replace. I would at least verify its age.
    M5 expansion tanks are known to turn yellow. It's not a sign of it needing to be changed as they don't seem to suffer the failure that Non-Ms do. Mine is also that color.

IMG_9776_zpsfvgjn61g by Al, on Flickr
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Congrats and welcome to M land.

M5 expansion tanks are known to turn yellow. It's not a sign of it needing to be changed as they don't seem to suffer the failure that Non-Ms do. Mine is also that color.

IMG_9776_zpsfvgjn61g by Al, on Flickr
    Thanks. And yes, I'm aware of it. PO has just installed new genuine BMW radiator and shop had pressure tested the system. I'm yet to raise it on lift and do thorough inspection as I'm still recovering from a hard week: Working and driving 900+ miles round trip to get the car and rushing back to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    My buddy was talking to him all weekend on the weekend previous to you heading down there. He was set to drive down from Charlotte on Saturday and offered a deposit. Oh well. Just how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Yes, he mentioned one particular guy but I forgot the timeline. As you said, it's one of those things and I followed a hunch and rushed down on Friday as he had more people coming on that weekend too.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    First come, first served. Well actually first payment in full is first served. I've done WAY too many deals that end up me queuing people on a first ask/"hold it for me" basis only to get stood up as time goes by. Super annoying so I've developed the same policy and completely understand the seller of the car. Congrats. Take care of it!

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Nice M5, Congrats

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Beautiful M5, I’ve never seen that color before....it’s a beautiful color.

Congrats on the new M5!!

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Welcome to the M5 family of fine cars!

Blue Water Blue is a Girlie color.....
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Awesome, Z! Congrats -- that car looks like a REALLY good example of the M5 breed.

Me, chose to stick it out with my 540. And guess what? Got rid of that pesky P0128 code via a tune session with DUDMD -- we lowered the temperature tables. So nice not to have to worry about that stupid SES light coming.

--P
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianE31 View Post
    First come, first served. Well actually first payment in full is first served. I've done WAY too many deals that end up me queuing people on a first ask/"hold it for me" basis only to get stood up as time goes by. Super annoying so I've developed the same policy and completely understand the seller of the car. Congrats. Take care of it!
    Thanks. I agree. I honestly don't know who all the seller talk to and what was said and I really don't care in the sense it's none of my business. I told him I'd be there at Friday noon and I was there one minute before. The rest is history.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peter540 View Post
    Awesome, Z! Congrats -- that car looks like a REALLY good example of the M5 breed.

Me, chose to stick it out with my 540. And guess what? Got rid of that pesky P0128 code via a tune session with DUDMD -- we lowered the temperature tables. So nice not to have to worry about that stupid SES light coming.

--P
    Thanks. I remember your thread and your solution seems logical. Your car is last year of 540 and therefore special in its own way. Keep that beauty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Welcome to the M5 family of fine cars!

Blue Water Blue is a Girlie color.....
    Thanks. Yes, but a mean girlie color��

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Beautiful M5, I’ve never seen that color before....it’s a beautiful color.

Congrats on the new M5!!
    Thanks. Me neither. It's somewhat close to Artic Silver that I had on my 540. According to the several sources there was only around 83 imported to US so it's relatively rare M5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Nice M5, Congrats
    Thanks.