View Poll Results: Advise assistance of trouble shooting and repairs.

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • ECU output to charge coils are fused or not ?

0 0%
  • At the ECU card terminations ?

0 0%
  • At fuse box _ locations ?

0 0%
  • ECU card spare modules _ available for purchase, price _ where to purchase from ?

0 0%
  • ECU card complete with asociated BMW mfrs original programming.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: 1998 BMW 323i _ ECU output to charge coil _ cylinder #3 missing = grounded conditions

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i _ E36/M50

1998 BMW 323i _ ECU output to charge coil _ cylinder #3 missing = grounded conditions

Dear Sirs,

BMW 1998 _ E 36 / M50 51,000 miles / 2018 low milages; Coil #3 was burnt out March 2018 _ and replaced ; all Spark Plugs were renewed as well; upon starting Cylinder #3 was still dead _ indicating it was not firing; further testing indicated _ the following :

ECU out puts to charge coils ( Cs)_ C1_6 were OK, except coil C#3 , in this case was missing; its condition was grounded; is the ECU out put fused at the ECU card ; or at a fuse box ? where is the location ? would that be underneath glove box ? Please advise assistance and comment for options of further trouble shooting and repairs.

Worst case ? Should the ECU be replaced ; are ECU spare modules with associated original BMW mfrs programming available for purchase; where to purchase at and prices plus shipping ? Thanks for helps.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E36 forum, please do not post in the E36 DIY section, that is for DIY instructions.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i _ E36/M50
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Moved to E36 forum, please do not post in the E36 DIY section, that is for DIY instructions.

Sorry about that _ but please indicate pages of where the E36 forum located ??

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I would expose and traceback the wiring back to the DME, there may be burnt or shorted wires.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i _ E36/M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    I would expose and traceback the wiring back to the DME, there may be burnt or shorted wires.

Thanks Mr Eric, that is exactly being done; the glove box was removed easily, all wirings behind , underneath the box were found still shiny in tidy clean _ no dust conditions _ after 20 years of vehicle services ; the DME ( ECU _ ECM ) metal aluminum module was located at left corner with wiring bundles at the back; by visual observations will check traces of hay wires _ brown / burnt out components later with simple tools as AVO meter_ if the DME box can be pried or unscrewed open; details to follow ; if nothing found _ plan to jumper coil C3 direct at the DME associated terminal _ should that be easily located, and see how that will fire upon engine restart; if no fires indicating more faults at the DME _ other components; next attempt is to swap the DME with spare used one, claimed by local seller still in good conditions - but who knows ?? ; tks for the noted comment; will advise results later in the forums; great comment ;

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i _ E36/M50
    Quote Originally Posted by isk.ibr1009@gma View Post
    Thanks Mr Eric, that is exactly being done; the glove box was removed easily, all wirings behind , underneath the box were found still shiny in tidy clean _ no dust conditions _ after 20 years of vehicle services ; the DME ( ECU _ ECM ) metal aluminum module was located at left corner with wiring bundles at the back; by visual observations will check traces of hay wires _ brown / burnt out components later with simple tools as AVO meter_ if the DME box can be pried or unscrewed open; details to follow ; if nothing found _ plan to jumper coil C3 direct at the DME associated terminal _ should that be easily located, and see how that will fire upon engine restart; if no fires indicating more faults at the DME _ other components; next attempt is to swap the DME with spare used one, claimed by local seller still in good conditions - but who knows ?? ; tks for the noted comment; will advise results later in the forums; great comment ;
    Update 04 April 2018 _ tracing faults at C3 _ DME box; found T3 ( transistor ) burnt out in the box; next attempt _ replace T3 model Motorola STP 8055 R733 or equal; question _ why C3 get burnt _ aging ??, why not also the other or the rest will follow with aging; thence ??? the only options _ replace the DME, but BMW no longer supplies that; next options _ replace the entire BMW E xx model ?? that will be the only routes of doing _ except the moneys to replace that will no longer be the same moneys that was spent 20 years ago on the existing E 36 _ the new moneys are inflated versions of the whole scams of moneys scamed by the rotten ROTHSCHILD FILTHY WORLD GLOBAL SYNDICATED BANKING SCAMS ; that have been there for >> 400 years since 17xx _ agree ?? what to do _ guys ; it is time to drive european super cars the BUGATTI CHIRON priced at xxxx millions a piece _ that makes nonsense _ GUYS ? comment _ bimmerforums ?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i _ E36/M50
    Update May 2018 _ T3 darlington ignition transistor was replaced by same _ PN _ Motorola STP 8055 ; engine then fired back to operate normally. Lucky the T3 same PN was found to be still around in China Shenzhen City. Shop suppliers in the USA Germany have no idea where these Motorola same PN stuffs to be found ? Shame on you guys USA _ Germany ?